Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

pylon ring removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
77 nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pylon ring removal
    Posted: September-03-2009 at 7:26pm
Has anyone had any luck removing the ring without damaging it or the pylon? My friend gave me a Fly High extended pylon. There are a bunch of us going skiing tomorrow and would love to try it out. I really want to get the setup that clamps to the pylon so I don't have to remove the ring but that's not going to happen before tomorrow. Who knows maybe I will be a lucky raffel ticket holder and win one in a few weeks at Lake George!
77 nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77 nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2009 at 8:40pm
Never mind, got home from work tapped out the two roll pins hit it with some PB Blaster and worked it out with the wooden handle of my hammer. No damage what so ever!
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2009 at 8:55pm
Jeff,

I have not changed mine yet, but I am going to soon. My Ring has a broken finger so I am swapping it out with a complete Ring and Finger that I purchase from a person on this site. He was parting out a boat.

I purchased a 6 PIECE PIN PUNCH Kit from Lowes made by DASCO PRO for about $10.00. I have been told to soak the pilon and ring in PB BLASTER for several days. Spray it in the crack where the Ring and Pilon meet. The 5/16 " Pin Punch seems to be the right size, but the instruction state to go one size smaller so I am using the 1/4" Pin Punch. These have a blunt end on them. Use the Punch to push out the two Roll Pins. Replace with new Stainless Steel Roll Pins when you are ready to reinstall the Ring and Finger.

After you have removed the two Roll Pins and have soaked the cracks and holes with PB Blaster, put a wooded, or Fiberglass Hammer Handle thru the ring behing the Finger. Then take another Hammer and beat each end of the Wooded Hammer Handle to try to make the Ring and Finger spin on the pilon. By hitting the wooden or Fiberglass handle you will be less likely to damage your ring and finger. I have heard of people hooking up a Block and Tackle Set that is connected to trees and pur under pressure for days to try make it break loose.   I guy that I purchased by Ring and Finger from said that it came off with little trouble.    

Once you get the ring to spin on the Pilon then you should be able to pull it straight out of the Pilon. I am concerned that I may get it to spin, but then it will not pull out. If this does not work, then pull the entire Pilon out and put it in a vice and use heat to try to work it out.

Like I stated before, I have not yet done this procedure, but as soon as I winterize I am going to attempt to do mine and this is what I have learned from other who have. I curious to see other ideas.

I Hope this helps,

Donald
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2009 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by 77 nautique 77 nautique wrote:

Never mind, got home from work tapped out the two roll pins hit it with some PB Blaster and worked it out with the wooden handle of my hammer. No damage what so ever!

Jeff,

Sorry for the long post, but that is great news that your's came out so easy. Thanks for the update.

Donald
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 12:53am
I have been told you need to heat the aluminum up. Donald, please post what your results are. I am going to try to remove mine this winter also.
83Ski
DJ77skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ77skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 12:56am
I took out the pins and sprayed PB blaster on 2 days prior and then took a aluminum pipe and worked it back and forth spinning it round and round while pulling up on it and it slid right out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2009 at 1:07am
Originally posted by dwcar dwcar wrote:

I have been told you need to heat the aluminum up. Donald, please post what your results are. I am going to try to remove mine this winter also.

Dwcar,

I will let you know what happens. I may given it a try this holiday weekend. I used heat to try to pull out the broken finger with the set screw out and the finger would not come out of the Ring. I was afraid I was going to set the boat on fire.

Donald
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2009 at 12:17pm
Dwcar,

I used a 1/4" Pin Punch Set from Lowes and a dead blow hammer to remove the two roll pins. Then I sprayed it with PB Blaster. Two days later I used a Wooden Handle ( From a slege Hammer) and got it to move a little. I then sprayed it again with PB Blaster. I came back two days latter with a 1" Dia Black Iron Water Pipe from a Home Improvement store that is 5 feet long. Using the leverage it now is spinning 360 degrees but it is still hard to turn. I am afraid that I am going to break the ring ( Finger already broken off) while trying to remove it. I am already slightly bending the ring. I sprayed some more PB Blaster and I am going to give it a shot again tonight. I may have to put a cumberlong jack in the rafters of my father shop to try to pull it up as I spin it around.

I am thinking that I have not given it enough effort yet. The PB BLaster is only going in the Roll Pin Holes. I am spraying it on the top, but I doubt any is going into the hole due to the taper of the Ring and finger. Once I get it up some, I can then get some PB Blaster down the hole.

I may try to apply some heat to it. If any one has any good ideas please let me know. Should I apply head to the pilon or to the ring and finger? I am thinking that heat to the ring and finger may do the trick.

Mine is being a PITA. I do have a nice replacement one ready to install.

Donald
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2009 at 12:42am
Donald 80,
My buddy put heat to the aluminum tow bar. I saw another post where they did the same thing. They put it between two trees and a cumalong on one end. I would not do the twisting with just PB blaster.

go with heat and some sort of pull!!
83Ski
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2009 at 12:21pm
Just take the whole pylon out.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2009 at 12:47pm
Guy,

Thanks for the advice. I will be up crap creek if I break this ring trying to get it out. I am going to try some heat and some pull. If that does not work I will then pull the pilon out and really put the heat to it.

All advice is greatly appreciated.

Donald
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2009 at 12:50pm
I will have a standard pylon available sometime next week if you don't want to mess with taking the ring off.

Tim

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2009 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

I will be up crap creek if I break this ring trying to get it out. I am going to try some heat and some pull. If that does not work I will then pull the pilon out and really put the heat to it. Donald

Donald,
No you won't be up "crap creek" Worst case you'll end up taking it to a machine shop. They will clamp it up in a vertical or horizontal boring mill and machine it out!!!

Heating may give you a slight advantage but not for long. Heat expands metal but it won't take long for the ring/finger shank to heat up and expand as well. The only advantage is aluminum expands more!! The pull with a come-a-long while twisting back and forth is a better option.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2009 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

I will be up crap creek if I break this ring trying to get it out. I am going to try some heat and some pull. If that does not work I will then pull the pilon out and really put the heat to it. Donald

Donald,
No you won't be up "crap creek" Worst case you'll end up taking it to a machine shop. They will clamp it up in a vertical or horizontal boring mill and machine it out!!!

Heating may give you a slight advantage but not for long. Heat expands metal but it won't take long for the ring/finger shank to heat up and expand as well. The only advantage is aluminum expands more!! The pull with a come-a-long while twisting back and forth is a better option.

Pete-

The best thing to do is take the pylon with the ring/finger out and put a standard pylon in. When its time to sell the boat either put the ring/finger back in or ????

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2009 at 12:24pm
Guys,

Thanks for the help. I am going to try this coming weekend to take the boat to my father's shop ( 1 hour away) and attach a come-a-long to the rafters and apply some tension. I will then heat it and twist it till it comes out. I will let you guys know what happens.

I really want to stay with the orginal style ring and finger and I payed a high price to get a used one a few months ago. I really want to use it to keep it all orginal.

Thanks,

Donald
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2009 at 1:12am
Donald,

did you ever get the ring out?
83Ski
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2009 at 3:36pm
Dwcar,

No not yet. I winterized the boat several weeks ago and I took it to my father's shed / barn. My father's home is 55 minutes from my house. I spent all summer on the water so I am now catching up on home repair stuff. I just have not taken the time to go to my father and try to pull it out.

I am going to use a cumberlong from his rafters in his shop and use the steel pipe to try to work it out under some heat. I have a great Ring and finger to install so I am going to try to go this route.

I will try to get up to his place in the next few weeks to pull it out. I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Donald
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 7:23pm
I have a Skylon and I used WD40 drove the roll pins out and twisted it right out. I spent about 15 minutes.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2010 at 1:44pm
I have my boat stored at my father's home ( 1 hour away) for the winter. I hope to remove my ring in the next few weeks. Honey do list has been keeping me away from it.

Donald
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2010 at 1:46pm
I know how those lists can be!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2010 at 5:37pm
Update.

I finally made it up to my father's home and took some time to work on the Pilon. My boat is in a three sided six bay Tractor Shed with wooded rafters. I put a landscape timber over four rafters and connected a Come-A-Long to the Timber and Pilon. I put some tenson on the pilon and spun the Ringer and broken finger with a black cast iron water pipe from Lowes. My 74 years old father was on one side of the boat and I was on the other side twisting the ring back and forth. We twisted and jacked the ring out of the Pilon. It was not easy, but it came out. There is no way in heck that it would of come out with out pulling up on it with the come-a-long. However, be careful not to pull too hard to crack the fiberglass where the pilon mounts. You just need a little upward pressure.

I will clean up the hole and the new used ring and finger before I reinstall. I need to get some Stainless Steel Roll Pins. Anti-Seize wil be used when I reinstall in a few weeks.

Thanks for everyones help. House remodeling has slowed me up.

Donald
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2010 at 8:33pm
my neighbhor tried to get his to break loose out of a 78 SN for week tryed it all finally he took a hacksaw to it!!!
davee40
lakeland,fl
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2010 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by davee40 davee40 wrote:

my neighbhor tried to get his to break loose out of a 78 SN for week tryed it all finally he took a hacksaw to it!!!

Dave,
Your neighbor must not know about CCfan!!

BTW, if you need any help, don't ask him!! You know where to go for help!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 10:33pm
actually pete he is not a member but he does read the threads and believe me he did try all the suggestions he lifted the whole boat up with a come along and let it hang for a day after he soaked it with blaster ,so he took mattters into his own hands ,i relly cant say i blame him ,he cut it off and put on his fly high and then he was happy and said if i sell the boat the fly high can go with
davee40
lakeland,fl
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 10:36pm
he drinks to much beer to be rational, he tappped the ring and and bolted it to the back of his truck and said now who on ccf has that
davee40
lakeland,fl
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 10:38pm
if i get a chance ill get a pic
davee40
lakeland,fl
echey77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote echey77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2010 at 12:32pm
I recently removed my ring so that I could instal a skylon. Before having a chance to purchase PB Blaster, a friend gave me a small bottle of a penetrating oil called "Kroil." According to the gun nuts, this penetrating oil will free just about anything metal. I applied it, returned 24 hours later, and was able to remove one of the pins. Applied a few more drops of Kroil, and returned 8 hours later to remove the second pin. I dropped a few drops of Kroil down the top of the pylon, and returned 24 hours later. I used a wooden axe handle, and was able to turn the hoop 1/8 of a turn clockwise. I reversed direction, and had a free spinning hoop. With a little upward pressure, the hoop came up with no damage. After reading so many horror stories, I was happy mine came up so easy. I don't know if I would have had similar luck with PB blaster, however, if the pb blaster doesn't work, a little Kroil might do the trick.

On a side note, I purchased a used skylon that came with the red pylon protective sleeve. I have a 87 ski nautique. Can anyone tell me which color of protective sleeve I need because the red sleeve seems too thick.

1987 Ski Nautique
LOTO
tedrowtown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedrowtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 2:30pm
I'm attempting to take my ring off, got the pins out, but the pylon just spins when I use a big bar to break it loose. Is the pylon hollow? Could I stick a pipe through it and knock the ring out? To remove the pylon, do you just lossen the four bolts and it just pulls out?
Troy
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 3:29pm
if you've got it moving then you need more upward force as your twisting it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 3:37pm
Troy,
When you say the complete pylon is turning when you twist the ring/finger, the lower mount must be loose. Take a closer look and get back to us.

Just as Chris mentioned above, you need to get some upward pressure besides the twisting.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic