Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop anti sieze?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pmt2234 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmt2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop anti sieze?
    Posted: April-18-2005 at 9:17am
When reinstaling my prop, should I coat the taper with some kind of grease or anti sieze compound? If so, what kind?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2005 at 12:23pm
I have never heard of any doing such a thing. I believe it is not required. Grease or anti-sieze is usually used to prevent corrosion in high temp or high moisture applications. Since props are nibrile (sp) or SS and the shafts are SS, neither will corrode and fuse together.
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2005 at 2:33pm
I always use a little waterproof grease on the shaft before I install the prop. It makes it so I don't have to crank really hard on the puller. I have left the prop on for 3 years and still had it slide off with a little tap of a plastic mallet.
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2005 at 2:43pm
NO
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2005 at 4:06pm
The prop and shaft will not corrode together. The shaft is stainless steele and the prop is nibral (nickle,brass,aluminum). The tapered shaft and the tapered inside of the prop are "wedged" together causing it to stick.
Tim D
GottaSki View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2005 at 10:39pm
To me, it sounds like a recipe for a sheared keyway and/or distorting of the slot if it were to slip every fwd/rev.

Lap the prop to the shaft so the tapers exactly match, and removal problems go away.
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2005 at 8:45am
IO's & outboards have grease on the shafts because they have splined shafts. The idea of lapping the new prop to the shaft is a good one. Also if it is stuck remove the prop with a prop puller.
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic