NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water in the heads!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water in the heads!
    Posted: April-10-2005 at 12:28am
Got a problem. Needs some help! Put my 69 Mustang 302 back in the water first time today. Ran great. 2 hrs run time, fast, slow, cruise, shut it off 1/2 doz times fired back up no problems at all. Got back to the dock. Let her sit for an hour, went back for a late ride, hard to start, ran rough for a few seconds then shut off hard. Tried to start back and would hardly spin at all. After trying several batteries realized it was internal; pulled each exhaust off and water poured out. Pull the plugs, spun it over and water shot out, but no water in the the fresh, one-day oil, so whatever happened had to have just happened. Stuck the plugs back in, spun her over and she fired right up. Put the exh's back on and idled fine for a few minutes, but after driving up the trailer she just cut off. Hit the switch and she wouldn't turn over. Pulled her out of the water and once again water, but only a small amount in the exh's. But now there's a little water in the oil, which doesn't surprise me since the cylinders were full. I tested the exh's and no water came in thru the ports. There was water in both heads. Please give me ideas. Never had this problem before. Thanks.       
ReidP
1973 Mustang

79nautique View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2005 at 1:24am
I would pressure test the exhaust manifolds first. Was it one side or both?, all cyclinders for the bank or one or two?

cross your fingers and hope it's a craked exhaust.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2005 at 12:38pm
Wow. Since water appears in both exhausts, I would look at valve timing. This is just a guess. Something has to be sucking the water up the tail pipes.

Unless you are making steam from a water leak somewhere at the cylinder intakes and the steam is condensing and accumulating in the exhaust manifolds. If this is the case I would look at your intake manifold. Check all of the bolts for tightness before you rip it off.

I had a car once that skipped a link on the timing chain. The car ran smooth and had strong low-end torque. Smooth operation went to heck at higher RPMS though. If I had never ran at higher RPMs I might not ever suspected anything was wrong.

If the exhaust valves close too late might the engine suck water up into the exhausts where it later found its way into the cylinders? I dunno.

Just an idea.

I agree with 79. Look the the exhaust manifolds first. (Although it is strange that it happend "all-of-a-sudden").

You have my sympathy.

Let us know what you find.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2005 at 12:45pm
How much water is getting in? If both sides or all cylinders, then could it be ingesting water from the fuel tank. Would have to be a heck of a lot of water to notice...I would think normal water in the tank would just cause idling and drivability problems, but would just turn to steam in the engine and be residual. However, if you ingest big gulps (i.e. more water than fuel), then I suppose the engine would stop and leave water in the cylinders.

Also, piston rings are not perfect and some amount of blowby does occur (hence the need for PCV valves). So, if large amounts of water gets in the cylinders, I suppose it can start to show up in the oil. Just a thought.
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2005 at 2:55pm
Did it freeze where you live? The exhaust manifolds or risers (or something else)may have froze & cracked if you did'nt drain them. You say you've tested them but they may not leak until hot. I would not crank it over or start it without knowing where the water came in from or you may bend a rod, bust a piston or screw up the valve train. My $$ is the exhaust is the culprit......
NO LONGER A MEMBER
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2005 at 6:19pm
You can't compress water, that's why it's hard to turn over. I would check the intake manifold. On the small block ford, water passes in the front and rear. If it's cracked, water could enter cylinders #1,4,5,and/or 8. Over time the back side of each exhaust inlet can burn out inside the exhaust manifold which would let water in while not running, especially if the valves in that cylinder are open. I would pour some water in the manifold where it enters, and tilt it back and see if any comes out where the exhaust goes in. On the intake, check #'s 1,4,5 and 8 for signs of rust where water has been, you might want to get it magnafluxed also.
Tim D
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2005 at 1:20am
Let's see. The exhs were taken off completely for painting prior to winter and winterization, as it does indeed freeze in NC. As for the intake, it's got me scratchin my head right now. It's an Edelbrock with no rear water crossover so only #'s 1 and 5 get directly affected, right?. But would it have to crack on both sides to dump water to both banks? I'm aware as to how it could then enter the exh's and make it to the remaining cylinders. I'll quit my mind-numbing speculating as the intake is coming off tomorrow or Wed, and I'll post the results. Thanks for the input.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

kwtubman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwtubman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2005 at 5:23pm
If the engine did not freeze, it is definately the exhauust manifolds, replaced mine not 2 weeks ago, same problem but now solved.........
Paul P
nms1991 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nms1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2005 at 1:06am
Does your boat have exhaust flaps?
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2005 at 2:48am
does your boat have brakes?
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2005 at 2:33pm
Reid, have you had time to identify the problem?
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic