Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Squeal when put in Nuetral 89’ SN

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
2001Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Squeal when put in Nuetral 89’ SN
    Posted: June-06-2009 at 2:39am
I have a squeal when I put my 1989 Ski Nautique 2001 in to nuetral after running the boat/pulling skiers. If I put the boat in gear as soon as the squeal starts it will go away. Any one have any ideas of what it could be?

Thanks
2001Tique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2009 at 10:07am
does the trans drag in nuetral?
im not there to hear it, but besides belts the only other thing that squeels is when the stuffing box hits the shaft (but the shaft needs to be turning) the bronze plates in the transmission will squeel momentarily when you put it in gear at times. but yours squeels in nuetral...I would say possibly the front input bearing on the trans, it will turn in nuetral but it gets locked and doesnt turn when put in forward gear, the bearing does turn in reverse but has a load on it.
other than that its hard to say
"the things you own will start to own you"
nms1991 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nms1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2009 at 9:20pm
If the noise is what I think it is, it is a regulator valve buzz that PCM fixed by putting a hose capped at one end and a fitting threaded into the top of the transmission.
2001Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2009 at 12:10am
The boat performs great. I put it in gear either forward or reverse and have no problems. It sounds like a bearing problem to me as well. It is not a loud squeal and does not do it every time I go in to nuetral. The squeal will stop after about 30 seconds if I just leave the boat in nuetral after coming to a stop. (I assume after the shaft stops spinning) As I am not to familiar with how transmissions work, what do you mean by the transmission dragging in nuetral? Thanks
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2009 at 4:10am
Originally posted by 2001Tique 2001Tique wrote:

As I am not to familiar with how transmissions work, what do you mean by the transmission dragging in nuetral? Thanks

it means that when in neutral the shaft will continue moving....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic