NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Auto-Marine engine balance question.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Auto-Marine engine balance question.
    Posted: April-22-2018 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by tmcboat tmcboat wrote:

Hi All,
In 2016 I bought a 1984 ford marine 5.8 liter engine and installed my pmc 1973 28oz flywheel and a new 6.53 inch 28oz. 3 bolt harmonic balancer    so I could use my pmc 3 bolt pulley. When we started the engine up we notice a slight wobble in the harmonic balancer- about 1/32 inch. I didn't think much of it and the boat runs good and has about 110 hours on the engine but still has the slight wobble in the harmonic balancer. . My PMC engine has a drive shaft tied directly to a volvo penta stern drive. I have read 2 blogs. One says that PMC used the 28oz flywheels and 28 oz balancers up till the late 1980's. Ford auto/not marine engine switched to a 50 oz flywheel and 50 oz. balancer after 1981-I hate to think that I have to pull the engine and lower unit to install a 50 oz flywheel and 50 oz harmonic balancer when the engine runs good now. I am going to pull the harmonic balancer and use a dial indicator to see if the crankshaft end- snout the balancers fits on is out of round. Your thoughts and suggestions please
thanks,
tmcboat

See the answer somebody gave in your other post
tmcboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmcboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 7:49pm
Hi All,
In 2016 I bought a 1984 ford marine 5.8 liter engine and installed my pmc 1973 28oz flywheel and a new 6.53 inch 28oz. 3 bolt harmonic balancer    so I could use my pmc 3 bolt pulley. When we started the engine up we notice a slight wobble in the harmonic balancer- about 1/32 inch. I didn't think much of it and the boat runs good and has about 110 hours on the engine but still has the slight wobble in the harmonic balancer. . My PMC engine has a drive shaft tied directly to a volvo penta stern drive. I have read 2 blogs. One says that PMC used the 28oz flywheels and 28 oz balancers up till the late 1980's. Ford auto/not marine engine switched to a 50 oz flywheel and 50 oz. balancer after 1981-I hate to think that I have to pull the engine and lower unit to install a 50 oz flywheel and 50 oz harmonic balancer when the engine runs good now. I am going to pull the harmonic balancer and use a dial indicator to see if the crankshaft end- snout the balancers fits on is out of round. Your thoughts and suggestions please
thanks,
tmcboat
Ryan351w View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan351w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2009 at 12:51am
Keno, didn't even notice you had your flux capacitor set and 1.21 gigawatts flowing!! haha!!!
I also have those same holes in my flexplate for me car....its kinda interesting. I would tend to agree with your assumption on that.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2009 at 12:44am
I noticed that I went back to the future or something. My camera thought it was 5/25/2012.

Also figured I'd point out a couple of balancing type holes at around the 3 o'clock position in the first photo.

I'm guessing that since it's a big cast piece, each one is a little different so they have to drill to get the right imbalance. Sounds kinda goofy.

The picture shows the side that goes toward the crank.

Ryan351w View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan351w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2009 at 12:09am
SN, don't mention it man.

But don't worry about marking the flywheel it will only bolt on one way, as far as clocking goes. It will look close but only fit in one orientation. One thing that might make it easier is mark which side faces out. The flywheels do have a slight off set front to back. When put on wrong on a car the trans wont seat but I couldn't tell you about a boat. So I will definatly be marking that. Or just look as to what side the counter weight faces.
Ryan
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 11:31pm
Learn something new everyday.

Thanks for bringing this up Ryan, now I know what to expect when need to remove my flywheel.

I'll make sure & mark 'this side up'!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Ryan351w View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan351w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 11:19pm
Keno, thanks for the pics. That makes sense that its acutally caste into the piece.
Ryan
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 10:45pm
BTW, 460 exhaust manifolds $1607.00 cost for the pair, without risers
can anyone do better?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 10:44pm
i pulled that 460 apart and on the front once i pulled the harmonic balance off there was a big counterweight also keyed behind it. next then the front seal, i would say it weighed roughly 2 pounds...not the seal, the weight lol
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 8:37pm
Hi Again

Here are a couple of pictures of a flywheel from an 86 or maybe an 87 PCM 351.

You can see without any trouble where the imbalance is in this flywheel. It's not stuck on or welded on but it's cast with the imbalance in it.

The second one shows it's a Ford and has the part number.

And like Ryan said, it only bolts on one way so you can't screw up the balance. The bolt holes may look evenly spaced but they're not.

Gotta go now, I used up all my brainpower trying to get these pictures into the computer then attached and I won't even say how long it took.

Keno

Ryan351w View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan351w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 3:44pm
Keno, Joe, Thank God you guys chimed in I was going crazy! Thats exactly what I was trying to find out. Interesting point about the timing cover and cold water lift pump. I didn't even think about that. And yes it is a belt driven fresh water pump. And I was defiantly going to swap oil pans and pickups. Gaskets are already in stock actually!

Eric, Brass plugs absolutely. But I'd put money that is a stock crank in Daves motor. They have to drill holes in the crank from the factory. Its normal to have machining tolerances and those tolerances need to be corrected by proper balancing. The flexplate/flywheels don't have dowels or eccentrics. The bolt pattern on the back of the crank is drilled in such a way that the flex/fly can only be bolted on one way. The only thing that I can think of off hand that has an eccentric is the fuel pump, driven off the front of the cam. Timing is done on the balancer, which utilizes a woodruff key to align the balancer to the proper orientation on the crank.

Dizuster...I don't even know where to begin with you.
dizuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dizuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 2:30pm
Seems you have a lot of questions about balancin'. Please let me try to explain a little for you. Obviously the current motor is balance, so all of the pistons and stuff weigh the same. Then, as you know with external balancing (also called outside balancing), the flywheel and the balancer must also weigh the same.

I think the safest thing to do is when you get the new motor, put the balancer and flywheel from the current boat motor, on the new motor. The new motor should have all of the pistons and stuff weighing the same anyway, so as long as you swap the balancer and flywheel, they should match too.

What do y'all think? Sounds like the safe way to go to me.

That way you won't have no problems. Rev that bitc* up!!!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 10:19am
Brass cast plugs also, I could see the crank 3 pics up needing balanced with the FW and HB, because of the swing and the extra weight added for swinging that crank, I dont think that is a stock crank, the flex plate does not look to be dowel pinned or have an ecentric to time it to the crank
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 9:43am
Hi again

Another night at the HIE and I wake up thinking that Ryan will have to look at things like the housing for the timing chain and gears.

The one from the car engine is probably aluminum and the boat version is cast iron but....there is a boss cast into the marine one with 2 threaded holes that you mount the raw water pump bracket to that is not there on the car housing. I'm assuming this is a PCM in the Supra with a belt driven pump.

The boat engine is a rear sump, your car engine.... I wouldn't know, but I'd swap oil pans and the suction line for the oil pump too. Then the dipstick tube needs to be swapped too.

That's what I remember for now.

Keno

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 2:56am
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

Anyway guys, help me out here. What does 28 or 50 ounce balance (or imbalance) mean? I also saw the term inch/ounce, or ounce/inch. Not sure what those mean. Can someone explain what those numbers and terms are.

It means exactly what it sounds like, the combination of the flywheel(or flex plate) and the harmonic balancer are 28 or 50 in oz out of balance because the crank rods, pistons, etc need the extra weight for the entire rotating assembly to be balanced. Either to keep the rotating weight down, or some other design concern the stock cranks didnt have big enough counterweights to allow the engine to be internally balanced so it could use balanced flywheels and balancers. So what really happens here is the engine minus the flywheel and dampener is not balanced, in fact it is off balance by 28 in-oz. The flywheel and balancer are also off by 28 in-oz total but 180 degrees different than the engine, and when put together all are in harmony.

In a race situation internally balanced is better.. but in a skiboat boat, any balance is good balance.

Inch-ounce is what is sounds like an ounce of weight located one inch off center.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 2:43am
So KENO is right the answer is yes the marine engines share the same weight offsets as the automotive. As long as you sticking with a 351w to a 351w you can just bolt up the flywheel and damper plate and it will work. If it was different, its not but someone may need to know this someday you can take your auto engines flex plate and your boat engines flywheel to a balancer and tell them to make the flywheel match the flexplate. I had to do that when I went from an older 302 to a newer 302. Believe me if you have 50 oz imbalance parts on a 28oz imbalance engine you will notice.. and quick.

If its a seasoned automotive engine you probably wont have any immediate problems running it in a boat.. probably. IMO worth a shot to save a summer.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 2:32am
Ken....I like the line about staying at the HIE. I was about ready to use that today in one of my posts on this subject but didn't. I am not an engine expert, BUT.........

Anyway guys, help me out here. What does 28 or 50 ounce balance (or imbalance) mean? I also saw the term inch/ounce, or ounce/inch. Not sure what those mean. Can someone explain what those numbers and terms are.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 2:00am
Hey this is getting interesting.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night so let me tell ya' what I remember

The short simple answer is that all stock 351W engines are balanced the same whether it is a car or boat engine. They all have 28 oz. external imbalance.

302 engines could be 28 or 50

So there's the straightforward answer you were looking for, now you can put the parts on the car engine and see how it does in the boat.

This is only from my memory banks, and I can't remember what I had for supper last night.

Keno
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 1:32am
I do not recall any kind of weight on the flywheel at all. Take your trans and bellhousing off your Supra and see what it looks like. Either way, it should work, right?? It works with your current set up.

I think the biggest difference you may find is, as folks have pointed out, is the larger clearance between the piston and the cylinder wall. But, it may be just fine.
Ryan351w View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan351w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 12:43am
Dave,
SWEET Motor color!! 74 block too, same as whats in my car, from what I've gathered the 74 was last year of the "stonger" stock blocks. I guess they started using a lower nickel content in 75.
Agreed the auto motor is a balanced motor, what my entire question is about, do the marine engines share the same offset weights on the flywheel as the auto.
This is what I'm talking about.
Here is an external balance flexplate

here is a neutral or internal balance. No weight.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2009 at 12:10am
Ryan.....attached is a picture of the crank in my boat. I assume it just has the normal counterweights found on standard production engines.

What is stopping you from just using the Mustang engine? It is balanced already. It is standard rotation. You have a flywheel that was being used for marine purposes from another 351. Just bolt that on, and your damper, and go. I would want to be safe as well, but, I don't see what is stopping you at this point??

Ryan351w View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan351w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 11:49pm
Eric,
As far as swapping a 302 for 351 flywheel, if the 351 was a later model ie one piece rear main=50oz imblance, same as 84 i wanna say 302 and newer were 50oz.
OR if the 302 was older I THINK those were 28oz but not 100% on that.
The meanings are not the same between internal and external. Otherwise they would just be refereed to as balanced. NOT a specific location or type of balancing. This is not a "same difference"
Ryan351w View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan351w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

Ryan;

There were no weights that I could see, or had to add. I also know that there were no weights on the crankshaft as I just assembled the engine a couple of weeks ago.

FYI - These are the weights on the crank that I was talking about that need to be drilled for either lightening or adding mallory metal..
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 9:43pm
dude, your making me reach for another beer.
its been about a year(for a stroker), i may have the 2 mixed, but the meaning is the same...thats something i dont forget.
I took a 351 flywheel off and put it directly onto a 302 for my test stand and i spin that beoch at all it has, at times for 1/2 hour solid, I know that thing is spinning at 6k,without any vibrations....but then again i have had a bad trans coupling and the harmonics will snap a 2" input shaft off of a transmission.

Ryan351w View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan351w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 3:27pm
Since nobody wants to believe me,
I pull some outside sources and site them here.
http://www.rpmmachine.com/engine-balancing.shtml
It won't let me copy the paragraph i want, but scroll down to "internal/external"
Just about half way. But heres an excerpt...
"If you're rebuilding an engine that is internally balanced, the flywheel and damper have no effect on engine balance and can be balanced separately. But with externally balanced engines, the flywheel and damper must be mounted on the crank prior to balancing."

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/ccrp_0803_engine_balancing/index.html
page 2.
"Internal vs. External Balance
Packaging is also an important issue. During the design of the 400ci small-block, a major engineering hurdle was insufficient real estate inside the small-block crankcase for the larger counterweights demanded by the 400's supersized 4.125-inch piston. This was especially difficult in the rear of the engine because the rear crankcase area on a small-block Chevy is restricted by the placement of the oil filter. The solution called for external balance weights placed on the harmonic balancer and flywheel/flexplate. One advantage to external weights is that they are generally lighter because they are positioned at the extreme ends of the crankshaft. The disadvantage is that these offset weights impart their own twisting forces back into the crankshaft, which is not good. This same situation occurs with the 454ci big-block Chevy, which is also the only production big-block that uses external weights to balance the engine."

"Small-block Fords have always been externally balanced, but because Ford is a name synonymous with change, the Blue Oval engineers altered the amount of the external balance when the engines morphed to a one-piece rear main seal. Early small-block Fords used 28 ounce-inches as the external weight amount, changing in 1981 to 50 ounce-inches. Like small-block Chevys, parts can interchange between early and late engines, but to guarantee smooth engine operation, the crankshaft, balancer, and flexplate/flywheel must all be kept within the same balance family."

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 2:45pm
Ryan;

Interesting discussion.

I guess I am confused on the offset weights you keep referring to.

Perhaps they are used in automotive applications, especially with flexplates/automatic transmission applications....not sure. But, I just put my flywheel on my 351 Ford this weekend. There were no weights that I could see, or had to add. I also know that there were no weights on the crankshaft as I just assembled the engine a couple of weeks ago.

So, my thinking is that you should be good to go if you bolt the flywheel and damper plate on.

If you need the proper flywheel, you should be able to use the one off of your tired Ford 351. That would be the correct one for your boat obvioustly.

Eric....On the issue of flywheel weights, I did not know there differences. What do our Ford typically use in these inboards??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 2:39pm
to help you better understand, when i build a stroker 383, you use a 350 cube block and a 400 crank, i have to buy a 400 FW and A 400 HB, and send them out to have the three parts balanced together, to make them as one....that is what is considered an internally balanced engine. you cant use the 400 FW or HB on a 350 crank. but you could take the FW from a 350cube and slap it on a 265,283,327,305,307 because they are externally balanced engines
I will then weigh each piston, rod, and grind them for perfect weight within a gram or so of eachother so those parts are balanced
this is a weight balance not a reciprocating balance
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 2:24pm
when you refer to internally balanced i think your meaning is the rods weigh the same the pistons weigh the same and so on...that is a balanced and blue printed engine. when you refer to internally and externally that refers to the crankshaft.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 2:20pm
Dave I too think thats the case, under 5k you do not need to balance any of the internals because they are close...when you spin them up past that mark you need precise weights of the pistons, rods etc.
i think Ryan refers to internally balanced as this process.
such as a 400 sbc, its a special harmonic balancer, flywheel and its all bolted together and spun on a balancing machine WITHOUT the pistons and rods, thus this what is meant by an internally balanced engine. you cant use a 350 FW on a 400....but you could use that FW on any other SBC"s, those parts such as the 350 crank is balanced by itself along with the FW and HB.
Ryan351w View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan351w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2009 at 2:10pm
Dave,
exactly some are internal and some external. Fords are external and yes the harmonic balancer is on the front and is counter weighted on an externally balanced motors. But there are weights added to the rear of the crank welded to the flexplate or flywheel as well.
And that is really my question if marine and auto share the same offset weights.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic