Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Timing and ignition specs

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Wis. Boater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wis. Boater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timing and ignition specs
    Posted: March-25-2005 at 7:46pm
I own a 1963 adams skier, with the interceptor v8, and have been having little luck finding anyone around here (Wisconsin), who has the correct specs to set the timing. Had a problem last summer with the boat bogging down under load. Had a boat dealer replace the points, has new plugs and wires, distributor and coil, but havent been able to try it since. Dealer said he couldn't find the specs to set timing. Fires up and sounds great on land. And it ran fine , turned it off went to go again, and it bogged, not going above 2100rpm. Any help or ideas would be great!! thanks.
     Also any infomation on where I can get parts for the motor would help also. I believe my dad said it is a 290?
klink1971
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2005 at 8:34pm
I usually set my timing by ear insted of using a light. Move the distributor one way till the engine loses rpm's. turn the dist. the other way till the enging gains the highest rpm's, this advances the timing slightly, and most engines run better slightly advanced. Check with a light, and record as a reference. As for point gap, most are gapped between .017", and .019".
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2005 at 1:49am
This fellow wrote an interesting article about setting timing in general:

http://members.aol.com/dvandrews/timing.htm

Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2005 at 11:24am
when we apply the   http://   why don't it create a link ? do we need to do something else ?
kenny g
klink1971 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klink1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2005 at 11:50pm
Talked to my dad today, and he said it is a 256 Interceptor motor. Also was thinking of posting some pictures, he would like to see if there is interest in anyone purchasing the boat. We have refinished it twice in the past 10 years.
83sn2001 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83sn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2005 at 10:58pm
66polyhead is right on. that is the way to set timing if you are unsure. It will also give you a little free extra bottom end torque.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2005 at 7:30pm
If it bogs down, sounds like the timing is too high and when it advances it is sending fire to the wrong cylinder. When I bought mine, it ran perfect, but after say 1/4 mile above 3,000 rpms it would make a slowing down sound and die with a cough through the carb. I had the distributor pulled off and check on a machine, and it was perfect. The guy popped it back in, he told me to rev it to 3,000 and he set it while it was running with a timing light and backed it down to idle, and the timing was set a 4 degrees. Then it ran perfect, give it the gas in neutral and the whole boat will rock. That was for a interceptor V8 260.
Tim D
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2005 at 1:30am
Was that 4 deg. before or after T.D.C.?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic