Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

stuffing box to shaft log hose

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stuffing box to shaft log hose
    Posted: May-07-2009 at 12:52am
Pulled my shaft on my 76 Tique to replace the cutlass bearing, repack the stuffing box and replace the hose from the shaft log to the stuffing box. My question is, the stuffing box and shaft log are different diameters (1 1/2" on the stuffing box and 1 3/4" on the shaft log.) The hose appears to be tapered. Is this a stock setup? Where do I obtain this tapered hose? The one I have now is pretty dry rotted and I really want to replace it while I have the shaft out. Can't seem to find one on Skidim. I'm considering replacing the whole setup with a PSS dripless seal, but they are a little steep for my budget right now. I'd rather just replace this hose at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2009 at 12:54am
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2009 at 1:04am
Cool, thanks Tim! Is this just 1 3/4" ID hose that I need to clamp down extra tight on the 1 1/2" OD packing nut? Or is the hose actually tapered from 1 3/4" ID to 1 1/2" ID? I can't tell if my old hose was just dried out to that shape or what, but it looks tapered. Was debating whether to clamp down 1 3/4" hose or try to stretch 1 1/2" hose, or see if I could find 1 5/8" hose somewhere...maybe I need to buy a new packing nut with 1 3/4" OD. Mine sure looks like original equipment, can't believe it would be the wrong size.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2009 at 9:27am
Please post a picture. How are you measuring? Tape measure? Calipers? They both should be the same - no tapered hose. Something was changed!

The dripless is not needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2009 at 10:35am

Thanks, Pete. Sounds like someone may have changed out my packing nut at some point. Maybe I need to change it back to one with a 1 3/4" diameter hose fitting to match the shaft log? Definitely appears to be 1 1/2" right now, just measuring with a tape measure. There is a noticable taper to my current hose and just holding the nut up to the shaft log, it appears smaller.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2009 at 10:40am
I've been finding it a PIA to find the right hose for my shaft log/stuffing box. I know what you want is soft rubber hose (non wire re enforced). I picked up some 1.5" wire re enforced and it doesn't fit.

All the catalogs I've looked through say that a 1" shaft should take a 1 3/4" hose. I have a piece of 1 3/4" PCM water circulating soft rubber hose and it is too big.

My next step is to take the log to a marine supply store and try their 1.5" and 1.75" hose and go from there.

As far as the diameter of the log or stuffing box, do you measure the lip or the narrower section?
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2009 at 11:09am
Mine were evenly sized, but gettng it over that ridge was hard. I had to beat the ever loving daylights out of it to get it on. I got the log end on 3/4 of the way and enough to double clamp it. The nut was easy. Doc told me to heat it up in super hot water after the fact, which makes a lot of sense. He also suggested smashing it a bunch to "loosen" it.   Mine is fine, but it really took some cussing and a couple beers to get it on far enough.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2009 at 11:12am
Who knows what a PO or even CC did? CC has been known to do some weird stuff!!! They shoud be the same size. Buck Algonquin does list a packing gland that is for a 1&3/4" hose.

As far as using wired hose, I've always used it. It can be a real problem getting on but I feel it's worth it due to the torque moment the shaft transmit through the stuffing box. I've seen a couple boats where the hose has been twisted to the point of ripping - usually from the owner tightening the packing nut too much!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2009 at 2:34pm
^^ agree on the wired hose ^^
Mike N

1968 Mustang

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2009 at 4:26pm
wire re-enforced hose is a must.
79TiqueRebuild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2009 at 10:43pm
76, I just checked mine on my 79 ski nautique and it is exactly the same as yours. 1 1/2 packing going to a 1 3/4 log. My hose also looks as if it is tapered but it is old also.
It doesn't have wire reinforcement but I want to replace with the right hose.   
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2009 at 12:19am
Monty: Contract news?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2009 at 2:03am
Were set to start talking on the 18th John.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2009 at 2:14am
Thanks...don't forget us poor old retires. Prices keep going up at happy hour.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2009 at 11:15pm
I like the idea of the wire reinforced 1 3/4" hose. Interesting that there are other boats out there with the same setup as mine, it definitely looked like the original hose and gland on there. Wish I knew where to find another tapered hose. My original one looks pretty shot - non wire-reinforced. (Main reason I pulled the shaft was to replace this hose.) I may end up buying a 1 3/4 gland, thanks for that link, Pete. Depending on how pricey the new gland is, I'm still thinking about going for a PSS dripless seal instead. Anyone have any good/bad experiences with these?
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2015 at 11:37pm
I thought I would post a conclusion to this old zombie thread as I haven't been on the site in a while and had a PM regarding it. I ended up replacing the packing gland with the Buck Algonquin unit suggested by Pete, so I could use the 1 3/4" wire reinforced hose. I purchased the whole unit (gland and hose) from Defender, I think this is what I got back then: 1 3/4 Packing Gland Hope the info helps somebody out if anyone else is dealing with this issue.   Happy Spring, everyone! - Tom
He who dies with the most toys, wins

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 1:00am
Defender? Holy crap I haven't heard that name in 30 years! I managed some E & B Marine/Bliss Marine stores in CT & NY in the 80's and used to go into the New Rochelle Defenders regularly to "secret shop" their prices against ours.

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 2:09am
Just fyi for anyone considering dripless. I've done a lot of research. Have an old v-drive & literally can't see the nuts to adjust, just a very vague glimpse with a mirror. And the space is so tight I've had to cut 2 packing nut wrenches in half, so no leverage. Have heard questionable reviews on PSS, and am about to pull the trigger on a Tides Marine Dripless Setup If there is room for it. System of choice in the commercial market and 2500 hour guarantee, at which point this 40 year old boat (or I) will be long gone......

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2018 at 12:34pm
OLD THREAD REVIVAL:

Any one have success with finding a suitable packing nut hose for the different size log-to-gland?
My ('81 SN) has such a setup, exactly as pictured in this thread.
The hose is soft wall, and the pieces are definitely different diameter.
I disagree with the "someone changed it" theory...too many examples,
So there must have been (and might still be) a hose available...
Maybe a tapered automotive radiator hose??
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2018 at 4:48pm
You might search Gate's website, they have off the shelf molded hoses.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic