NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

STUCK THERMOSTAT COVER

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SkiLew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiLew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: STUCK THERMOSTAT COVER
    Posted: March-21-2005 at 10:52am
Engine acts as though the thermostat is stuck open. Will not get over 120 degrees F so I decided to replace it.

Tried to replace thermostat this weekend, removed the two cover bolts but the cover acts as though it were welded on. It will not budge. I did not want to be too aggressive and crack the cover. Any suggestions?

Bill336 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill336 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2005 at 11:04am
I've used a sharp wood chisel to cut into the gasket and pry the housing off. Be careful to keep it level and use small taps with a hammer so it doesn't gouge either side.
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2005 at 11:41am
I do the same thing, but I use a putty knife. The blade is thinner... and cheaper to replace when you tear it up
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2005 at 7:21pm
Use something thin, even a razor blade. Try spraying the outside with gasket remover.
Tim D
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2005 at 10:31pm
I always just knock the crud out of mine with a big hammer. It works. Be sure you have the bolts out first.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2005 at 4:00pm
I hope you use a rubber mallet or a dead blow hammer.
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic