NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

prop nut

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
hyper1685 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hyper1685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: prop nut
    Posted: March-18-2005 at 3:43pm
I just ordered a ACME 540 prop for my 86 SN 2001. When i put the new prop on, how tight does the prop nut need to be?

thanks for your help
chris
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2005 at 3:59pm
My experience has been to hand tighten it as tight as you can then use a wrench to tighten it to the next available position where you can install the stainless steel cotter pin.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2005 at 7:36pm
Tighten until the cotter pin will go through. When you spin it in the water it will work its way up the tappered shaft and will have to be pulled off with a puller.
Tim D
hyper1685 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hyper1685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2005 at 2:24pm
thanks a bunch for the replies guys.

chris
GottaSki View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2005 at 2:41pm
Debur the keyway, then
Lap the prop to the shaft with compound, until the contact patch is at least 2/3 of the bore. Then mark the shaft with a sharpie how far the prop seats on the shaft.
Now add the key, and the prop better seat at the same position, else the keyway is binding..
Don't draw the prop/keyway on with the nut, get it to seat before torqing, and there will be zero err and vibration from installation.
The lapping will also make the prop easier to remove later because the strain is distributed evenly throughout the taper..
hyper1685 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hyper1685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2005 at 8:12pm
i got the prop today! what should the torque be if i use a nylon lock prop nut(without cotter pin)

thanks
chris
tdkosta View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdkosta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2005 at 4:47pm
I don't know what other boaters have done, but I would use a different nut that will let you also use a cotter pin. The nylock prop nuts are used on propshafts that have an eyelet at the end for a cotter pin to be used.
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2005 at 5:26pm
I hope it goes w/out saying ,,, make sure it's a stainless pin
NO LONGER A MEMBER
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2005 at 6:21pm
Use a cotter pin!
I lost a prop by just using a lock nut last summer.

It's a sad feeling to be stuck out on the lake knowing that your $350 prop just sank to the bottom.

Needless to say... you live and you learn....that day I learned why God made cotter pins.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2005 at 6:40pm
Very few people take the precaution to only use nylock nuts once. After they are initially installed, they never hold quit as tight. Some things that is okay, but with props not so good. I tend to agree that a castle nut and cotter pin is the safest choice.
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2005 at 7:31pm
I had a problem the last time I changed props. when I tightened the castle nut it came up way short of the cotter pin hole. I couldn't torque it enough to get it to the hole (or at least I didn't think I SHOULD torque it that much). But if I loosened it enough to hit the previous hole, it was too loose. So, I went with a nylock. I would really rather go back to the castle nut, but I don't know how to get it to line up. I guess I could use a flat washer to shim it? Any suggestions?
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2005 at 12:44pm
If you use the nylock nut, is the cotter pin hole exposed? If so, install the cotter pin so that in the event the nylock nut does not hold at least you will not loose the prop.

I cannot see any harm in using flat washer(s) to shim a castle nut closer to the hole.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2005 at 1:04pm
Sure, I'd use a washer to shim it up so that u can get a snug fit. It works on airplanes why not on boats. I would use stainless so that it wouldn't rust.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
hyper1685 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hyper1685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2005 at 2:47am
thanks for the help guys. i just reused the castle nut and cotter pin that was holding the old prop on. i will keep the nylon nut with my spare prop in case i need it.

Chris
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2005 at 2:20pm
For more information go here
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic