Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

’87 Ski Supreme

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rshearer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rshearer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ’87 Ski Supreme
    Posted: April-13-2009 at 1:39am
Well friends, it seems I have inherited the family ski boat. Unfortunately, it has been very neglected since I moved away some 7 years ago. As it stands, the upholstery is in very poor shape, and the rest of the interior similar problems. Mechanically, it seems the boat was never properly winterized and my brother apparently drove the boat with a failed water impeller overheating it. At any rate, I have found a cracked block, popped freeze plugs, and cracked exhaust manifold.

So I have a decision to make. What I want is a boat that I can do a little of everything with. I prefer to ski, but I like to wakeboard as well. Right now, I can't swing a new $40k boat.

So, do I drop several thousand into this boat to get it functional, or just scrap it and look for a nice used early sport nautique?
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2009 at 2:31am
Wow, lot of Supreme guys stopping in lately.

At the end of the day, only you know that answer. What value does the boat have to you personally (sentiment, not dollars)? How skilled are you at doing the work yourself? How much do you enjoy doing this type of work.
What is your time worth to you?

Pure economics, you could probably rebuild the motor (doing labor yourself) for under 2K, and you can probably find someone to do upholstery for under 2K.

87 Supreme is probably only going for $5-7K Max on the open market.

My $.02. BKH

Livin' the Dream

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2009 at 3:19am
I agree w/ Brian. Unless there is considerable sentimental value, by the time you spend the money fixing and replacing everything that you know of you could likey find a good deal on a solid boat. Throw a "FOR SALE" sign on it with a modest price and see if anyone bites.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
rshearer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rshearer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2009 at 9:54pm
Thanks for your thoughts guys. Honestly, I could pull the engine and do a lot of the work myself. My issue is time. I have a dozen projects, and my work schedule keeps me busy. I have some sentimental tie to the boat, I learned to ski on it etc, but the work I have done just makes me frustrated on what was done to the old girl in my absence.

By the way, I dropped in cause you guys have the reputation of having the best mechanical/technical knowledge around :)

So, anyone wanna buy a project? I'll make you a deal.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2009 at 2:23am
Originally posted by rshearer rshearer wrote:

By the way, I dropped in cause you guys have the reputation of having the best mechanical/technical knowledge around

True, of course...but how'd you hear that if you haven't been a member?

Welcome BTW...

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
rshearer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rshearer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2009 at 9:27pm
You guys were recommended especially for info about the marine Ford 351s on several other forums: wakeboarder.com, wakesiderides.com etc.

But usually I don't post, I use this thing called a search button since most everything has been asked at least once :)
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2009 at 11:53pm
Glad to know the word is gettin' out about where the best is at...
Besides...anyone from Tennessee is a good guy in my book.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic