Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where Do I Ground???

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bradley950 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradley950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where Do I Ground???
    Posted: March-09-2005 at 9:55pm
I am putting a new system in my old boat which never had one. Where would you ground amps and the head unit. Back to the negative terminal???? Where is the best grounding point for these components??? -Brad- Its a 76 ski nautique.
Brad Miller
bradley950@yahoo.com
Steve View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2005 at 1:27am
What type and year engine?
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2005 at 11:25am
yes to the neg terminal.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2005 at 12:09pm
Yeah the neg terminal, and check your spark plugs.(resistor type for noise)
Tim D
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2005 at 4:58pm
I checked mine. My spark plugs are positively and without a doubt gounded.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2005 at 5:01pm
There's more printed about grounding marine electrical systems than all other aspects. I don't make it a practice to add any ground wires to the battery because off the corrosion factor, the best thing to do in my opinion is add a negative ground bus bar close to the engine and connect the neg cable from the battery to this and run all the ground wires from this. I run the engine ground, ignition ground and dash ground to this point, also the gas tank ground. I ground the engine to the head and have a ground cable from the head to the other head in the rear of the motor, I even ground the choke to the bus bar, thats called a star ground, all points to one ground.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradley950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2005 at 10:20pm
My boat is a 76 Ski Nautique. I like the way that star ground sounds. Thanks captan1

-Brad-
Brad Miller
bradley950@yahoo.com
curbsidegold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curbsidegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2005 at 7:23pm
Hey captan1 ... a question about grounding the gas tank? My tank was previously connected to the engine by copper tube, so I figure it was grounded to the engine and then on to the bus bar from there. I replaced the copper with a newer flexable (non metal) fuel line. Should I consider running a ground from the tank directly to the bus bar??

sm
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2005 at 9:36pm
run that ground to the buss bar, but you might want to add a small buss in the rear of the boat. also do not forget to ground that fuel tank filler neck if it has a rubber hose connecting it to the fuel tank
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2005 at 3:26am
Well guy's, the fuel sender needs a ground, I've never seen the fuel tubing acting as a ground but I haven't seen everything.

I guess if you wanted to cut down on wires you could add a neg. bus bar back there, couple of grounds for the gas tank, rear light needs a ground and only one wire up to the engine bus bar.

Good point about the filler neck, I don't think mine is grounded, used for static type of situation?
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2005 at 2:43am
The only problem I see with the copper gas line I have found, is: vibration. My 66 had a copper gas line feed to the pump. It eventually developed a vibration, stress crack, and started leaking. I replaced it with aircraft, poly hose, from the tank, to the fuel pump. Of course, electricity seeks the best path to Earth, or ground. The negitive side of the battery is grounded to the rear of the motor block! All gauges are wired in series from the block. I'm a dinosaur, so I don't have a stereo. My advise to you would be: run a #6 braided ground wire to the front of your boat for your stereo, amp whatever. run a # 10 braided ground for the speakers, wolfer, etc.. As for the fuel neck... the last time I checked, it's a boat, not a helocopter, I don't need a static ground. Check out page 21 of the Mercruiser manual!!! Page 22 might clear things up!!
nate78ski View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nate78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2005 at 12:50pm
Here is the uscg regs for fuel system grounding
[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 33, Volume 2]
[Revised as of July 1, 2003]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 33CFR183.572]

[Page 857]

TITLE 33--NAVIGATION AND NAVIGABLE WATERS

CHAPTER I--COAST GUARD, DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY (CONTINUED)

PART 183--BOATS AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT--Table of Contents

Subpart J--Fuel Systems

Sec. 183.572 Grounding.

Each metallic component of the fuel fill system and fuel tank which
is in contact with fuel must be statically grounded so that the
resistance between the ground and each metallic component of the fuel
fill system and fuel tank is less than 100 ohms.

Tests

Just thought you like to know. Any other question reguarding USCG specs chech this site
http://cfr.law.cornell.edu/cfr/cfr.php?title=33&type=part&value=183

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradley950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2005 at 5:46pm
Wow nice reserch!!! Thanks to all -Brad-
Brad Miller
bradley950@yahoo.com
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2005 at 7:05pm
I might have a couple extra.... Who wants to buy an ohm?
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2005 at 9:25pm
I'm looking for a 3 bedroom ohm with an attached garage.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
curbsidegold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curbsidegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2005 at 1:25am
Thanks ohm boyz!!

So my next question is what's the best way to secure a braided ground wire to the fuel tank? My tank is the original steel cylinder type tank, holds about 15 gallons. It has three female threaded fittings 1. top center threaded opening 2" to accomodate filling up the tank, 2. top right - threaded opening fits a brass fitting that connects to the fuel line, and 3. bottom threaded 1/2" opening that holds drain plug.

Should I use a compression strap to secure the ground wire to one of these fittings? Another option might be connecting the ground to the galvanized steel staps holding the tank in its seat, but at the moment, I have rubber gasket material between the tank and straps to cut down on vibration ... it seemed like the right thing to do at the time, but may be overkill. SM

sm
nate78ski View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nate78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2005 at 10:48am
You could simply attach a ground wire to the filler neck using a hose clamp then connect it to your ground source(buss bar, etc...).
These USCG reg apply to boats the year in which it was built. So in reality if your boat is old these may not apply. But grounding for static charge is not a bad idea. The wire for attachment does not need to be "braided wire", but can be just stranded copper wire like you would for any other connection. A 14 or 16 ga wire is good.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic