NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

treasures-Pete I have a horn!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: treasures-Pete I have a horn!
    Posted: March-22-2009 at 11:48pm
Today I was blessed with treasures! A good day!

This manual does not have a year listed. I will have to let Keith know what is in it and I can scan if anything is needed on the site.

And it figures....there was a half of a windshield!

Also a huge beautiful Nautique banner.
Good day...
Chelle'
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2009 at 11:52pm
Is it Christmas already!?!!

Is there a "Rest of the Story" ?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2009 at 12:00am
Steve,

What would Paul Harvey say? LOL!
No, no "rest of the story", just a very lucky gal with some great new friends! It did feel like Christmas and I love treasures. They were still in the boxes! That horn is going to look great on the Mustang! We had to try it out. If I ever find myself in trouble, they will hear me in the next county.
Wish the other half of the windshield was there. That's ok though. I consider myself very lucky.
Chelle'
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2009 at 12:16am
Thats exactly what Paul Harvey would say.LOL

There is NOTHING like a set of air horns!!

Do you have the compressor for yours?

I have a few sets of them around....my favorites are a set, still in the box, that has what reminds you of a bicycle tire pump.

The body of the pump mounts behind the dash. There is a "captains style-steering wheel" knob that mounts to the center pump rod. To operate the horn, you pull the rod, and as you push it in, the pump supplies air to operate horns. No power required!

Might use them on the 62 Higgins..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2009 at 1:13pm
Steve,

I do not have a compressor. I guess I will add that to my "wish list". So, you have a few sets? Any laying around collecting way too much dust? LOL

Chelle'
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2009 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

Steve,

I do not have a compressor.

Chelle'

Nice find Michelle! With that horn on the deck, it will keep the bow of the boat down and it won't porpoise as much!

Without a compressor, you must have tested the horn off the shop air? Yes, the sound is impressive especially if you are under a bridge! I have the same model on my 64.

They were originally set up with a canister of R12 refrigerant that clipped onto a solenoid valve under the deck. Unfortunately due to the banning of some of the "freons" with the Montreal Protocol and the "green" movement, the method fell out of favor. I haven't been able to find the freon canisters in at least 15 years.

The alternate is a compressor and a rather large air surge storage tank. Besides being expensive and needing power to run the compressor, they don't sound the same! It has something to do with the expansion rate of the freon maintaining the pressure to the horn VS. air out of a surge tank where the pressure drops as the horn is used. I've resorted to adapting a 30lb tank of reclaim freon under the deck. Unfortunately after two attempts of my double flaring copper tube tank adapters both eventually broke and leaked. The next try will be with a hose assembly from the tank to the valve eliminating the vibration problem breaking the copper adapter line.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2009 at 2:28pm
Are those Titans? We had a pair of those on our Barracuda. Pete, as I remember that freon was expensive, and didn't hold through the winter. They did sound great.

I hoping to get a single horn for the Mustang, if the member that offered it to me comes through.

Michelle, did you buy the windshield?
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2009 at 2:40pm
I have the 1/2 windshield. A friend of mine is going to check with a local glass company today to see if they might be able to complete the other half.

Blink tested the horn with the shop air. I was impressed. I'll be disappointed if I can only get a little "toot" out of it after hearing what it could sound like.

The horns have "Hadley" on them. I can't remember what else is written on them. They had tape over the writing. They'll clean up nice with goo be gone.

Pete, if it keeps the bow down, maybe I should center it.

I got the cups and nozzles today. Gel coat tomorrow or Wednesday! Stinkin' night at the races Saturday dinner time for the regatta. Maybe I'll wake up extra early.

Chelle'
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2009 at 2:52pm
I had an empty can in my skylark with the solenoid valve    they sell canned air but the fitting is different    has anyone tried to adapt the air cans to the valve?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2009 at 2:55pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2009 at 3:10pm
Peter,
Another alternate to using a Freon, is using CO2 or nitrogen. Cheap but you need to purchase the tank plus add a regulator before the solenoid valve. I'm investigating pressure specs as well as cu. ft. per tank compared to the Freons. Both CO2 and nitrogen is typical equipment used for pressurizing beer kegs but the pressure is off somewhat. The old R12 at 100 degrees F. produced about 120psi. The typical beer regulator only goes to 60psi. I may need to consult with JINY to see what he's got hooked up to that funny bottle of gas under his floor!!!

You won't get much out of a can of compressed air. Not much in it!! A couple little "toots" as Michelle reffered too! The reason for the freon is it makes lots of gas when it changes from the liquid state to the gaseous.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2009 at 10:29pm
Pete   thanks    i wonder what west marine sells for their air horns   i would tend to guess CO2   i use nitrogen to purge refrig lines before / during soldering but getting the right regulator might be the challenge ..
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2009 at 10:41pm
Pete,
If I'm not mistaken, the vapor presure on a co2 bottle at about 70 degrees F. is about 700 to 800 #. The bottle contains liquid co2. The problem is I don't know how small a bottle you can get. I may have some old soda system regulators around. One of my coworkers is a paint ball nut, and I know they use small co2 bottles, he in fact quit using co2 and now uses compressed air 4000 psi in some fancy small cylender.
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2009 at 11:31pm
The same size (18" high that would fit under the bow) of cylinder is used for nitrogen and CO2. I'm trying to figure out the cu. ft. yield of both gases. The nitrogen comes with 3000 psi but is all gas. The CO2 is rated at 1700 psi but being a liquid may actually contain more gas!

Basic (not expensive) regulators for the CO2 max out at 60 psi whereas the same basic regulator for nitrogen is adjustable up to about 115 psi. Considering the vapor pressure of the R12 (over 110 psi), I'm leaning towards the nitrogen for the full effect of the horn but may have to give up the amount of "blowing" time one cylinder will give.

It seems that the whole set up would run around $150. Not bad compared to a fancy compressor and surge tank!

Lots out there on the net for beer keg set ups. Hey, I could set up a tapper in the boat at the same time!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2009 at 12:07am
OR; Northern Tool has a triple horn complete with 12volt compressor for 16.99 plus shipping.
But then again that would be too easy,and we would not get to re-invent the wheel.
Sanity has the part number, I think she is going the cheap way out....Plug and Play.............Boat dr
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2009 at 12:34am
Billy,
I used one of the compressors off of one of the cheap "Wolo" brand air horns to power the horns on the 68 Nauta-cuda this past summer. (the original compressor had electrical issues)

Lets just say they worked, but, were a little, shall we say... "lack luster". I have since gotten the original compressor fixed and am anxious to give it a try. (once I dig the boat out of storage).   
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2009 at 1:28am
Michelle, I for one are jealous. Here is where it was mounted on mine,

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2009 at 11:30am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

OR; Northern Tool has a triple horn complete with 12volt compressor for 16.99 plus shipping.
But then again that would be too easy,and we would not get to re-invent the wheel.

These horns use lots of "air". So much that they had to stop using them on single compressed air systems on fire trucks. They would use the horns so much that it will dump all the air and set the brakes!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2009 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Brady Brady wrote:

Pete,
I may have some old soda system regulators around.

Dig around! I just found out from Steve (refrigeration) that soda systems run at about 100psi unlike the beer systems that run at 45 to 50. I'm shooting for the 100 to come close to the vapor pressure of the R12.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2009 at 3:51pm
I was able to get some figures on the cu.ft. per lb. of CO2. Looks like the CO2 would give you more horn blows per refill than nitrogen will.

The tank (18.5" tall) of nitrogen contains 22 cu. ft. when full to the normal pressure of 2250psi. This same physical size tank of CO2 (a 5lb tank) is 43.5 cu. ft. because CO2 produces 8.7 cu. ft. gas per lb. of liquid. This is roughly twice the volume over the nitrogen.

I'm not sure how the CO2 would equate to the "blows" per refill compared to the old R12. I'm guessing that the old refills were between 7 and 10 lbs. (freons are heavy!) and depending on the temperature it looks like these produced about 20 cu. ft.

I'm going with the CO2 and will see how it works out! Anyone doing this, will need to purchase a tank at about $60 plus a regulator. Then, refills at your welding gas store are only about $10 each.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2009 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

I have a few sets of them around....my favorites are a set, still in the box, that has what reminds you of a bicycle tire pump.

The body of the pump mounts behind the dash. There is a "captains style-steering wheel" knob that mounts to the center pump rod. To operate the horn, you pull the rod, and as you push it in, the pump supplies air to operate horns. No power required!

Might use them on the 62 Higgins..

I had this same pump Chuck gave it to me!
For the centurion. I gave it to Alan with the promise if he ever sold the boat I would get it back.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2009 at 6:01pm
We called Chuck last week, as we were going to go visit him and Floss. No one answered. We brought a beautiful clear glass and blue lighthouse back from Key West for him. You know how he loves light houses. I miss seeing him at the river.
Chelle'
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2009 at 6:29pm
my wife read this over my shoulder she says i should just put a tube from the boat seat to the horns .. women just dont appreciate men and their talents
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2009 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Michelle, I for one are jealous. Here is where it was mounted on mine,

Gary,
There's alot more on your boat than what came with mine. It's fun to find the things you need and want. Especially when you're not expecting to find anything.
Chelle'
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2009 at 1:22am
Pete,

Other than recovery time, can you use a 12V air compressor, something like the on-board type that is used on factory automotive air shocks? It could "charge" a storage tank, then hook up a selenoid air valve to dump air to the horns?

BTW, the compressor on my 68 appears to be original? Right off, I cant remember the mfgr of it. will have to check.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2009 at 9:58am
Steve,
Yes, a compressor is a option but as mentioned the sound isn't the same. The horns use so much air that the air pressure in the tank drops off real quick whereas the old R12 maintained the pressure. The cost of a decent Buell tank/compressor isn't the greatest ether.smallest Buell compressor - $435.00

25"x8"x14"

It also draws the juice - 18 amps! That's alot when you consider most of our old boats have 30 - 35 amp alternators.

You can go cheaper but you already found out that the Wolo's don't do the job.

I'm going with the CO2. Hopefully Charlie will find a old soda system CO2 regulator (10-110PSI) I can use. If not, they aren't that expensive. I'm finding them list priced at $40.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2009 at 1:16pm
Pete,
The only reason I bought the cheapo Wolo last year was to get legal with the 68 last summer. For less than 15 bucks I was able to keep Barney happy. (plus now people get out of Pams way when driving her mini-van )

I,ve been wondering about something like these compressors on good ol ebay? It has a recovery rate listed at a little over a minute from 110psi to 145psi. I didnt think that was too bad? For 180 bucks, you'd never have to refill with any type of gas.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2009 at 1:25pm
Barney, you mean you have to have a horn at Green Lake? A hand held whistle won't due. I must live in a different world. I've been pulled over maybe 3 times in my life and never once been asked to sound my horn.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2009 at 1:38pm
Steve,
I'd still worry about the amp draw. Looks like the pump you found is close to the Buell rating - 18amp at about 100psi. Better have the engine running when the compressor kicks in! Of course everything depends on how "horn happy" you are. That Buell tank is 5 gals. It's the smallest one they make. I wouldn't go any smaller. Recovery time with the ebay pump from 85 to 105psi on a 5 gal. is 1 minute. Not too bad if you aren't using the horn like a NY city cab driver!!

I'm still going to try the CO2. The old R12 I was able to get 2 to 3 seasons out of a refill. I figure I'll be able to do better with the 5lb CO2 ($15) plus the horn will sound like the original. I found a new DOT rated CO2 aluminum 5lb cylinder on ebay for $40 and maybe Charlie will find a regulator for me.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2009 at 1:50pm
Pete,
Do you think the compressor that was mounted under the hull of my 68 was "factory/dealer installed? (I cant remember the brand..might have been made in Italy?)
I like the CO2 idea if you could get 2 or 3 summers off of it. The thing with air horns, I think a guy gets a little "happier" with them than electrics?

Bruce,
We actually had a DNR safety check at the launch we go to, last labor day weekend. I also keep a whistle in the glove box, but he did ask to see the whistle/or sound the horns...the Wolo compressor did keep him happy.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic