NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Left Hand Harmonic Balancer

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Left Hand Harmonic Balancer
    Posted: March-03-2005 at 10:18pm
Well I just discovered why timing my engine gave me strange results. I kept thinking number 1 spark plug was not number 1.

I am pulling down my 289 (today) to replace the cam and heads. I discoverd today that my harmonic balancer is for a standard rotation engine. In other words the ATC and BTC timimg marks are on the wrong side of the TDC mark. WOW! I must have been running it 12 deg. retarded. No wonder I couldn't get my RPMs up.

The previous owner said he had the engine rebuilt.

Anyone ever encounter this? I hope it did not come from CC this way. Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Anyone have a RH rotation harmonic balancer for a SB Ford, 6-3/8" dia.?
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2005 at 11:33am
jim i see no need to replace a good balancer.
use a caliper and transfer the marks to the other side of the TDC mark.[see page 30 in the book] i'm not sure about my mustang,but the chrysler in the barracuda has an inspection hole and is timed from the flywheel at the rear of the engine.
kenny g
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2005 at 12:15pm
Thanks Kenny. What book are you talking about? I have not seen an inspection hole in the Ford (Interceptor). I will look again today (when work resumes).
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2005 at 12:47pm
the interceptor marine engine manual 1969.
i sent a copy to keith months ago.isnt it in the reference section ?
the chrysler has the timing hole back at the flywheel jim,thats why i said i wasn't sure about my mustang. either way i see no reason why u couldn't transfer those timing marks on the balancer.

kenny g
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2005 at 12:57pm
I see no reason I cannot transfer the marks either. In fact I will look for a timing tape that glues to the balancer. Mr. Gasket makes them. I'll just put it on backwards.

I am sure if a rotating object is balanced in one direction it will also be balanced rotating in the other direction. Balanced is balanced. So, I suspect the only difference in RH and LH balancers is the timing marks. Thanks again Kenny - I will look for the manual.
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2005 at 1:06pm
EXACTLY JIM !
my manual says 1969.it covers models 165/190/210/302cid
let me know if u need a copy
kenny g
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2005 at 1:10pm
Sure, I would like a copy. Is it too large for your to email? If so I will give you an ftp address for one of my web sites - you can ftp it.
Otherwise, email it to jim@electricaltrainingusa.com

Thanks!!!!!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2005 at 9:12pm
Problem solved. Here is a pic of the balancer with the timing tape applied "backwards". The earth is back on it's axis. now.
Siveck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siveck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2005 at 10:22pm
Was the crankshaft bolt left or right hand thread on your reverse rotation motor?
Stan C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2005 at 2:47am
I recently rebuilt a reverse rotation 351W and the crankshaft bolt was a standard right hand thread. Hope this helps.   Stan C
Stan C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2005 at 1:18pm
Siveck, the crank shaft bolt on my "reverse rotation" 289 (Ford) is a standard right-hand bolt. By-the-way, a Sears harmonic balancer puller, $19.95, yanked the balancer right off the crankshaft but the pull bolts supplied in the puller kit did not fit my balancer - I had to run to the hardware store to get 3 proper fitting bolts for the puller.
Siveck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siveck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2005 at 10:20pm
Thanks for the information Stan and Jim. I was a bit nervous about breaking that bolt if I turned it the wrong way.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic