NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Merc 350 5.7 has some steam/vapor

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2009 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by 86BFN 86BFN wrote:

It was a Lefty from the factory. It's all original.

Do you have the 425 then?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2009 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Do you have the 425 then?

OMG I wish! No the BFN is 330 (RH)

Sorry for the confusion Greg but I think were talking about two different boats. I was refering to the Hydrodyne in this thread hoping to help GlassSecker with his 350 bowtie.

Steve
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2009 at 6:05pm
An update:
All the wishful thinking and hair pulling did not solve my water intrusion troubles, so I took the bull by the horns, took off the exhaust manis, intake and heads, cleaned a TON of krap out of the heads and block, put in new head gaskets(OEM)and new intake gaskets, resealed front and rear of intake, new exhaust mani gaskets(automotive), torqued it all to specs, put distributor back in and ....vroooom!, started first turn of the key(also replaced ignition switch which was touchy with a short so you had to back off a tiny bit to make it work) now anyone can start the boat, no special instructions and shes running 43.5 @ 4500rpms...no water, no steam out the vents.

happy crew of footers are tearing it up once again.
This is the life
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2009 at 6:56pm
I love a Happy Ending! Congrats, and HAPPY FOOTIN'
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 12:07am
its incredible the junk build up in the water passages..mine were all almost clogged...I don't know if thats what eventually make my head to crack due to increased pressure of water trying to flow on reduced water galleys???
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2009 at 1:03am
I had, in the past, heard the term "rodding out" in regard to heads...well I learned exactly what that meant. I used a piece of clothes hanger and kept poking and prodding and blowing compressed air thru and then doing it again...and again...stuff kept coming out...looked like carbon/scale. I am super cheap and heard that a head job could cost from 400 to 600 and figured I could get new vortec heads and an intake for 950...so forget the head job ....the gaskets were about 100, I used Marine Parts Express, they were cheap on the oem mercury gaskets. I tested the valves by tipping the heads on edge and put some gas in there...every one leaked some by...I decided oh well I am putting it back together that way and just gonna see how well it works...if they don't work I'll just get the vortec heads and new intake and slap new gaskets in again...but it works alot better so for now I am back to running it and will pop for the stroker or just the heads when I have the cash, so I am trying to save up a motor fund now. but am barefooting in the meantime....so my motor fund keeps going for gas and launch +++...a boat is a hole in the water into which one pours money...yeah yeah I know the rule.
This is the life
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic