NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How soon is too sonn?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Ryan S. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How soon is too sonn?
    Posted: March-03-2005 at 1:17pm
Hey everybody. I live in Washington State and it's been an incredibly mild winter. I am getting the itch, big time, to dewinterize my boat. How cold, really, does it need to be to do damage to my engine? Does it need to stay at or below freezing for an entire day or more. I don't think that a temporary freeze, for the night, would do damage. Tell me if I'm wrong!!! My father-in-law cracked his block two winters ago, and I don't want to get too greedy and repeat his mistake. The temps here are dipping down to the mid-30's at night, but have been known to go lower in past years. Thanks
Ryan
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2005 at 11:01pm
I've been under the impression that just one good freeze could do some major damage. But i dunno.
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2005 at 1:33am
My understanding is that it has to be a HARD freeze to damage anything. A little bit of frost shouldn't hurt it, but that's only what I've been told. I guess if it was me I'd say better safe than sorry.
Bill336 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill336 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2005 at 2:03am
If you open the block drains and drain the exhaust, do you have any trapped water left in the engine? If not, I'd say go for it and drain it after you use it. No need to fog the cylinders or anything for a short layup. If there's access to the block under the thermostat, you might want to add a gallon of antifreeze after you drain it for cheap insurance. I'd trade a couple bucks for some antifreeze for run in the boat in March, but we've got a foot of snow outside and it's 20 degrees.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2005 at 10:52am
Just one more reason why I love living in the South!!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2005 at 12:10pm
It all depends on how cold it gets and for how long. If your boat sits in an unheated garage you're probably good to a much lower temp.

Outside it would take a hard freeze(low to mid 20's) for several hours to do damage. If the temperature barely dropped below freezing for a couple of hours at night the engine won't have time for the water in it to freeze. However if your weatherman in Washington is anything like they are here in Iowa they may predict a low of around 30 and it could actually drop down to 20 or so.

To be safe I would stick a trouble light with a 60W light bulb in your bilge under the engine. That will provide enough heat to keep your engine safe down to fairly cold temperatures. This is what the local ski club does here to extend the season into October. Just make sure you position the light so the heat won't damage anything.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic