NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your Historic Day

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2009 at 11:33am
she also thought Africa was a country too..
towards November the choice got easier and easier,
"the things you own will start to own you"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2009 at 11:49am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

You really believe that Eric? I'd say the libs went for her throat. She's the kind of woman they hate, good looking, successful, anti abortion, pro gun, pro hunting, conservative.

I hope Obama can come through with all his promises. What he's doing with his stimulous plan is akin to dumping a lot of ether down the the carb. The engine's either going to fire up or blow up.

I don't think I've ever voted for a candidate that was anything but the lesser of 2 evils.

What program were you talking about that Reagan took away for free college for fatherless kids? I got out of schools in 75 and there wasn't any program like that, other than a meager SSI benifit that about paid for my monthly supply of milk and chicken pot pies.

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2009 at 12:27pm
Eric I really enjoy your comments , they may drift toward political incorrectness but we need a bit of that in this world so people dont have to misread between the lines .
you may or may not have been harvard material but you (not to blow sunshine up your*** )are very well versed .. I think you might have missed your calling and should pursue a talk radio show I bet it would be a riot. Peter
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2009 at 12:30pm
how can you blow something up that is already blown up?
Obama didnt create the mess were in, I saw some of the stimulus this morning, part of it was 600 million for government cars, people think they dont need new cars, but... lets spend 10 billion a month, in Iraq, lets search for a half dead man in Afghanistan,
that 600 million is 1/10th of whats spent every month on the war. it keeps money inside the walls of this country...
the Gitmo, thing is already getting blown out of hand, what do we do with them? put them in general population of our federal prisons and justice will prevail.
Bush blew it for the party, plain and simple and people are tired of it, its not Obama this Obama that, he is there because of that reason. jmo,with a laugh
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2009 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

Eric (not to blow sunshine up your*** ) Peter

Eric "how can you blow something up that is already blown up?"

Anal problems Eric or am I out of context??? LOL
70 Mustang project
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2009 at 12:47pm
Eric, the general prison population will either kill them or join them, not good either way.

I like Obama, he's cool. I hope he can get his party under control.

Peter, I'm working. Give me a call. 207-842-9030.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2009 at 12:48pm

I think she's smarter than the average bear. There was a very revealing exit poll done on BO supporters...most believed the SNL routines as real and thought the Repubs controlled congress, and that BO made an excellent choice in Sarah as a VP, and had no idea who Nancy or Harry are, and that they supported his committment to stay in Iraq untill the job was finished...on down the line.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2009 at 12:52pm
Peter, i think its from my natural father RIP, he wrote for the "stars and Stripes" and died young. I just put something out there, we are a society that wont bother until it affects us personally   and lately I'm affected...thanks, i dont know how i wound up doing what i do (job wise)
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2009 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

Eric all I know a kid walked into a nursery killed 2 babies and a teacher with a knife and stabbed others a real mess over there, Kris will know the full story.

Indeed, that's what happened. They only aprehended the guy a few hours later, and in his pocket, they found a list of fifty more targets in three other daycare centers in the neighborhood.
When it happened, they interrupted all programs on the radio and TV to broadcast a special report. A colleague of mine had his kids in one of those daycares. As we where hearing the news on the radio, he jumped off his desk an got in his car and immediatly drove off... Hope to hear good news from him when he gets back on monday!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2009 at 9:34pm
Kristof, we will keep you and your friends in our thoughts and prayers.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2009 at 9:50pm
Eric, I am not a Republican or Democrat. I am a Citizen. I work and live from day to day no matter what animal is in office.

The economy is not like hitting your thumb with a hammer and feeling the pain.
From what I understand, this issue may have started more than 8 years ago. Some track it back to Clinton signing the Sub-Prime lending act that ACORN supported and pushed forward.
Mr Obama was a lawyer for ACORN. If this is true, I do not fault Mr Obama. He was supporting what he believed in and supported.

Why you would ever include funds like child support, allomony, and unemployment as Income for calculating a possible loan is beyond me. This is what the sub-prime lending act did. Folks purchased homes that could not afford them.

But back to a fix for what has happened, I do not about others but I have tried to avoid pumping my hard earned money into failed businesses. If the gas station owner down the street came to you and said "if you do not give me money I will have to file for bankruptcy ?? How about the Baker or Barber ?
How much would you give him/her ??
I must confess that I would turn them away.

The government does not let me spend money that I do not have so why should they do it themselves so freely ? It is real money.
It is time to let businesses stand or fail on their own merits.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2009 at 10:33pm
There was actually something called the SubPrime Lending Act? Sub Prime is a term I first heard in the early 2000s. But, back in the 90's I always heard it referred to as C paper. Lenders would say they specialized in B & C paper.
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2009 at 11:34pm
I guess I really do not know what it was actually called but there is a lot out there about it..

I think you are correct about it being called the CRA..

CRA

It should have been stopped by the Bush admin but the Banks were making too much money from the fees. It was just a matter of time before the house of cards came down. Took about 8 years.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 12:54am
Leave it to the government to meddle in private businesses and screw it up.
Now they want to run the banks, the auto companies, health care ect. ect.
They cannot even run the government efficiently.

Yes, my friends, were in deep sh*t!
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 12:56am
On the bright side Oprah's Happy!

👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 12:13pm
They way I see it, the government is not responsible, whether it be Clinton in the 90's or Bush in the 2000's, Dems or Reps. The banks and Wall Street are resonsible. They're the ones that provided and loaned the money. Sub Primes were attractive, like you said because of the fees. The returns were so much greater than on regular mortgages.
I hope these bail outs are loans and not free money.

I will say that when it comes to regulation involving appraisals, the Dems are typically the ones that sponsor or have anything to do with the legislation.

Back in the 1990's during the last bail out, FIRREA was invented which involved regulation of banks and licensing regulation of appraisers. It was pretty strict, but got really watered down during the 2000s. Not for the appraisers, just for the banks, so they didn't have to use appraisers at all. The Republicans were saying back in the 1990s that FIRREA was an accronym for "Finally I am a Rich Real Estate Appraiser".
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 1:13pm
GD you guy's, when i got my home loan i crunched the numbers and knew what i could afford and couldnt afford, i demanded a fixed rate loan   cause i dont know what i would be doing in 5 years, i was hoping my house would appreciate.....everybody blames the government or the banks or this or that
my frieng got an arm his payments were 800 and shot up to 2200.00...I asked him in derogatory way and my exact words were.....Are you a fcin idiot...he lost the home
predatory lending, I know if i owned a bank and these applications came across my desk and all applications get approval from the bank manager. i would deny them, thats why i think it goes much higher than the local bank level...it didnt just surprisingly happen, I think some group made this happen, way above the government level and the end results were known.....banks just dont give money away
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 1:15pm
btw 86, she reminds me of the blueberry girl on Willy Wonka, with a tear...sniffle,i fight with my weight problem....girlfriend, lay off the twinkies
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 1:49pm

btw 86, she reminds me of the blueberry girl on Willy Wonka, with a tear...sniffle,i fight with my weight problem....girlfriend, lay off the twinkies

LMAO!

Eric I agree that alot of irresponsible people have contributed to the problem.

Everyone being able to own a house might not have been such a good idea after all.

It's all about buying votes and getting re-elected in my opinion.
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by 86BFN 86BFN wrote:

It's all about buying votes and getting re-elected in my opinion.

Ding, Ding, Ding...we have a winner!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 2:52pm
Eric, to go from $800 to $2,200 is a huge jump in interest rate. Either your friend was sub prime or completely numb and didn't read or understand the docs and got ripped off by a crook. No doubt a lot of it was preditory lending and they preyed on those that were desperate and willing to sign anything.   

I was a landlord for 19 years and always had ARMs. That's all I could get for investor owned properties. Over the years they saved me more than they cost me. And in an economic downturn they would usually go lower rather than higher. They were 3-3.5 over the 10 year T Bill and set yearly. Right now they would re set at 5.5% to 6%. Not bad for an investor owned multi family. ARMs aren't all bad.
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 3:04pm
Eric, the banks had no dis-incentive to deny any of the loans. The originator, whether it be a broker or a mortgage bank took NONE of the risk. The people making the lending decision knew the loans would get sold to to a clearing house mortgage company and then to wall street.

If your job was to lend other peoples money and collect your fee and commission's, you would do just that. If your job was to lend your money out, you'd pay attention.   

The guys at the clearing houses and wall street also took none of the risks. Do you think that they understood the paper they were selling was suspect?   Of course they did. The money was in the fees and commissions. The investors in the securtized mortgage paper wound up with all the risk. Who was taking on that risk? The insurance companies (AIG) the investment banks (bear sterns, etc.). Do you think the guys buying the paper understood that it was suspect? Of course they did. In an effort to chase returns (their bonuses and stock options were based on this) they were willing to take the risks with other peoples money (the shareholders, policy holders, the pension funds, etc.)

They took none of the risks, and got all of the rewards. Every one is talking about the billions and billions being lost on this, no one is talking about the billions and billions that were made. Most of the money made was never transferred to the balance sheet it was paid out to management as compensation bonuses and expensed by the company. This transfer of wealth has been going on for a decade, yet when it all falls apart, W and his wall street buddy paulsin hand a trillion dollars to the same people who already made the money once.

Look at equity values (stocks)over the last decade, even if you take out the last 5 months, its easy to see the game on wall street was not to invest clients money in growth, it was to chase returns and collect the fees. The retirement industry (401k's, etc) has been like a great big fire hose pouring money at wall street, every month the 401k's contribute hundreds of millions of dollars to equities. Look total market capitalization a decade ago and compare it to today. In the mean time, trillions of dollars have gone into capital markets, where did all those hard dollars go? Paper losses? I don't think so. It went to the brokers,investment bankers, traders etc. the same guys we're bailing out now. BS

Rant over.

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2009 at 3:21pm
65 That is how I see it with our Banks and all the rest over here.the Bankers can not lose here no bank can fail,so its bailout time for the Taxpayer.
The £ is down the pan and the word is the Euro is next.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic