NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Interesting discovery

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interesting discovery
    Posted: February-15-2005 at 4:44pm
Today I confirmed my suspicion that my '93 SN is not bilaterally symetrical. In order to facilitate a fiberglass repair to the fordeck, I made a template of the good side, flipped it over and was surprised that it seemed to not fit the other side at all.

To confirm my suspicions, I went over to my local CC dealer and held the template up to a '92 SN. Yep, one side is way different than the other side. My template fit perfectly on the starboard side just like on my boat and was about 1/2" off (outward) in the middle of the curve. I guess CC just kind of eyeballed the mold and said looks good enough.

Just thought some would find this interesting.
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2005 at 2:25pm
That is kinda strange. Maybe the dealer will allow you to make a port side template from their 92.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2005 at 3:04pm
Could this slight "off symmetry" be in the design for torque or prop rotation?
Tim D
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2005 at 4:24pm
Darrel:

That is exactly what I did, right there on the spot.

Tim:

My quess is that it is just a byproduct of hand made molds.
Darrel View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2005 at 6:56pm
David, Excellent quick thinking!! Does the new template fit? Keep taking pictures.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2005 at 7:40pm
Yes, the template now seems to conform properly to what is left of the damaged port side. I have not taken pictures lately because of slow progress due to the wet and cold weather we have had lately here in Central Texas. However, I just about have the keel at the bow faired out and ready for the initial application of gelcoat.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic