Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

64 american skier q’s

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
havis21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote havis21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 64 american skier q’s
    Posted: February-15-2005 at 4:28am
Just got a 64 and had a few q's

The guy said it had a 300 ci ford inline 6, I checked some auto parts stores, 300 avail in 65??? The carb and fule pump look exactly like automotive versions..are they the same?? The motor seems to be shimmed above the stock mounts, and they added 3" around the bottom of the cover....the shaft alignment seems fine...it also does not seem to have a exhaust fan in the eng comp...which I will add...any other tips would be helpful...

thx in advance
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2005 at 3:14pm
I've been told that Correct Craft bought left overs and surplus engines in the early days to save money and marinized them, and used them till they ran out. My 1966 Mustang originally had a '64 block and '65 heads.
Tim D
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2005 at 4:13am
The fuel pump and Carb Should be marine. The carb looks the same from the outside but an auto carb is set up to dump gas on the ground if the floats stick. The marine carb has no slot in the butterfly shaft and has a u shaped tube to direct the gas from a stuck float into the engine. I know several people who have used Auto carbs in boats for years. If you do you must be very careful to lift the engine cover and check for fumes before you start it.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2005 at 2:24pm
I don't know, but my boat had a regular carb. on it,I still have it, I think it's a '65 model Ford Motorcraft, rebuilt so many times (use Holley now)and the fuel pump was not marine either, it had a glass sediment bowl on the bottom. When the diaphram burst, it shot gas out the weep hole on top. I'm glad this happened on the trailer before backing it off. I cranked it smelled gas, turned it off, raised the box and cranked it again and it shot gas about 10 feet in the air. I was told both were original. I don't know when they started marine items like this.
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic