Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turnbuckle for bow--strap failure!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Daveinater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turnbuckle for bow--strap failure!
    Posted: October-10-2008 at 10:56pm
Hey all,

Today I had an opportunity to try out the new 4-blade prop on our 92 Sport. (My wife took out our 3-blade driving the boat on the trailer. Secret tip: act very forgiving and then order the upgraded prop--how can she complain? She's the one who did the damage and besides...you were so sweeeet about it!)

Anyway, being a little cautious putting the boat on the trailer, I gently drove it on and connected the ratcheting strap to the bow hook. When pulling the boat/trailer out of the water, the boat slid back slightly and the strap snapped. DOH! My heart about stopped.

Every other Sport I've seen on a CC trailer has a turnbuckle arrangement which keeps the boat from moving forward or aft.

A local shop is doing some small gelcoat repair on the hull and said they could fabricate a hinged flat "bar" which would mount under the bow and aft of the bow eye and hinge upward and have a slot the bow eye would poke through. A pin would lock it in place. It sure would be easier than the crummy setup I have now, but they want $200 to fabricate it.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated and does anyone have a CC turnbuckle they want to get rid of?

Thanks all,   
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2008 at 11:08pm
Dave, The local shop that is recommending the hinged flat bar is very dated. The idea has come and gone on the CC trailers because of the problems with it. Try to imagine lining up the boat at the proper spot to engage the slot in the flat bar with the bow eye. How about by yourself? I'm sure some of our members had one and am certain you'll get some other comments on the PITA!
Consider a winch. There are numerous threads on installing winches.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2008 at 11:47pm
The late 70's and 80's trailers had turnbuckles which you can get at Lowe's. http://images.lowes.com/product/038613/038613124806.jpg Might have to look around at some hardware stores to find one big enough. When you drive on the trailer, are you backing it too deep? The reason I ask is if too much of the boat is floating above the trailer, that will cause it to drift, you're pulling the trailer out from under it. When I load my boat, I always have just the top of the fenders out of the water.
Tim D
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2008 at 12:03am
I think that system is the same as the one my friend has on his 97 MC. What Pete says is correct. A couple of time he ran it to side and broke. Most of the time we end up driving it as close as he can and use the winch. IMO a good idea but impractical to get it right all the time. I think you have more risk to get it right all the time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2008 at 12:32am
Tim,

I'm putting the trailer in so I can "glide" it on after getting enough momentum. This means getting the tops of the fenders just under water. In years past, we had more of the trailer out of the water and "powered" it on. This worked ok til my sweetie got a little sideways and struck rthe prop on the side of the trailer structure that protects the prop/rudder assys. Thus, I'm being a little more conservative in getting more trailer in the water. In any event, I need a way to secure the boat on the trailer, especially pulling it out of the water.

I've got a standard CC trailer with the upside-down U-shaped bar w/ two pads that catch the point of the bow. There's nothing to hold the bow eye except an eye bolt on the trailer to attach something to. I've been using a strap/winch setup there.

By the way, th 4-blade OJ prop is amazing! Much smoother, no steering pull to the left and awesome hole shot, plus top speed almost 50 mph!!
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2008 at 12:45am
Not long ago, I was at the ramp and these two older men and a teen were loading a 04 Air Nautique. They couldn't figure out why the tip of the bow was going under the rubber wheel at the front of the trailer. I explained to them that the trailer was too deep, they pulled the trailer up some so the hull could slide on the bunkers. Another thing to think about on loading with the trailer deep, is that the back of the hull is way above the trailer, when you pull it out, the back drops down to the trailer and the bow will pull very tight as it raises up.
Tim D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2008 at 12:47am
Good point Tim!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2008 at 2:40am
Hey guys, in the thread on adding winches to trailers:
Winches

"BehindPropeller" mentioned that he might make kits...anyone know if he got around to doing that?

Dave
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2008 at 4:12am
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Another thing to think about on loading with the trailer deep, is that the back of the hull is way above the trailer, when you pull it out, the back drops down to the trailer and the bow will pull very tight as it raises up.

I never thought about that Duh!! Tim how tight those turn buckle has to be. Usually I winch it and just attach it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2008 at 6:17am
Just get a turnbuckle and call it a day. Like TimD said, they should be available at at a local hardware store- or call your CC dealer directly if you cant find one. Winches are fine, but the bow stop and turnbuckle work great and are extremely simple.

Im a little confused as to how you dinged up the prop while loading- as long as the boat is kept between the guides, it should be nearly impossible to hit the trailer. Go back to putting the fenders *just* below the surface, and tell your wife to bring it in slowly. If it gets misaligned to the point where youre afraid of another strike, just dont put the boat in gear!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2008 at 11:51am
Dave - You must not have the trailer guide poles. They really come in handy when you are fighting wind / current / beer.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2008 at 12:58pm
Hey guys,

Thanks for the all the good info.

I do have guides on the trailer...it's a stock CC trailer w/ everything EXCEPT the doggone turnbuckle.

My wife has driven/powered the boat on the trailer really well for years. The prop strike was a weird deal that took a combination of things to happen, but it did so I'm being a little more conservative than usual, but I'll probably get over it.

As many of you know, we've been battling a drought lately in the Southeast. We have a house on Lake Wedowee in Alabama which is an Alabama Power lake. They try to hold the lake level up as long as possible but eventually, if the rain doesnt come, they have to start generating power to the sacrifice of the lake level. That was the case big time last year and also to a lesser extent this year. The level had dropped a fair bit and we had to pull the boat out so we went to our standard launch ramp but where I had to put the trailer in was a lot further down the ramp where the angle is much steeper. I put the trailer in but the fender tops were just above the water line (vs. below, but going further would have essentially made the whole trailer disappear).

To add to this, my wife was battling a crosswind (and she had a pretty good "crab" going into it for you fellow pilots out there). She got it straightened out and her approach to the trailer looked good. The bow and mid-section glided right onto the trailer just fine, and it was straight---at first---but the tail end swung around a little bit and she put it in gear to straighten it out and, in fact, powered it on. The prop just contacted the structure that angles down from the right side of the trailer down to the horizontal bar that is underneath the prop/rudder. We heard BANG BANG BANG BANG and she cut the power immediately. I knew right away what it was. Here's what we found when we pulled the trailer out:

Anyway, we normally power it on but this time the boat just didnt "LOOK" as sideways as it obviously was. The nibral props are pretty darn soft cuz the trailer didn't show any damage...just some scuffed paint.

(And yes, I know the prop could have been repaired....but...well, I REALLY wanted a four blade and, well, my wife didn't protest. See? A win-win! )

Anybody have a used turnbuckle out there? It would sure make me, er....my beautiful wife...feel better! hahah.

(If nothing else, maybe some measurements of the stock turnbuckle)
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2008 at 5:44pm
That sucks you should get that prop fixed for an extra. My 86 has the factory turnbuckle. Takes a second longer to loosen and tighten it but its worth it for ease of operation and reliability. Im never on ramps that are steep enough to hook it up before I pull it out either. I load with the fenders just above the water.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2008 at 1:05am
Dave - I have the factory turnbuckle plus added a winch.

I am sure you can get a big turnbuckle at a farm supply store.   Dimensions aren't critical as long as you can tighten it & loosen it enough to detach.   Just add a snap hook to 1 end & you are good to go.

Make sure & leave it a little loose when your boat & trailer are still in the water, otherwise you will have the bow way to tight on level ground.

I like the winch because we just coast on & winch it up from there. Saves gas & supposedly the boat ramp from erosion.

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2008 at 1:16am
That sounds like a good setup....did you add the winch and any chance you have a photo of it?

If someone could give me a good measurement on a turnbuckle, that'd be a big help. The boat is 1.5 hours away and I'd like to find one locally if possible. (I didn't measure since I thought it would be easier to find a used one...)

Thanks,

Dave
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2008 at 4:00am
turnbuckles aren't hard to find just go to a hardware store and you'l find them... even here in aruba i can find one easily so i doubt it will be hard to find there...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2008 at 10:07am
I'm not to worried about finding one...I could just use a distance measurement from bow eye to the trailer ring....boat is not accessible.

Any fellow 89-92 Sport Nautique owners out there w/ a CC trailer??

Thanks all for your help!

Dave
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2008 at 11:56am
Dave - I would measure mine for you but it is now in storage 50 miles waway. i estimate the body was6 inches long, with 5/16-18 threads.

Here is a thread on my winch addition:

Winch

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2008 at 12:14pm
That's a great looking winch addition...looks factory! Thanks...that helps a lot.

Just to be clear, is the 6" guesstimate the "body" of the turnbuckle that you actually turn, w/ the threaded sections going into it from both sides?

Thanks again,

Dave
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2008 at 2:06pm
Dave,
On the turnbuckle, you may want to wait for some other measurements from other people. Chris (SNobsessed) may have 5/16" thread sizes but to me it seem to be on the light side. Turnbuckles are load rated (just like link chain) and come in many different types. My Tique trailer has 1/2" thread sizes but is a aluminum version. Chris's may be a forged type which may be the same load rating as the aluminum. Wait and see what others say.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2008 at 4:05pm
I wasn't going to post on this topic because I have a slightly older boat of a different style, but he is a local guy.

The buckle on mine is 10.5" and the eye bolts are 8" with a 4.5" hook on each end. It also looks to be aluminum with 1/2" bolts.

Dave, I would guess that my set-up is taller with the V-hull but don't really know. Hope this helps!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2008 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Im a little confused as to how you dinged up the prop while loading- as long as the boat is kept between the guides, it should be nearly impossible to hit the trailer.

Seems nothing is impossible Tim. My wife has done the same thing, and we're not exactly beginners at this BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2008 at 7:35pm
Yeah, no kidding...my wife normally drives it right on no problem, and like I said, the tail end seemed only "slightly" off when the prop strike took place. Of course, having the trailer at the right depth is obviously key.

Greg, thanks for going the extra mile for a neighbor...especially one who slums it on a lake in Alabama versus the high-class lake you're on!

I stopped by Home Depot and Lowes thinking I might get lucky w/ a turnbuckle there but they sell real small ones and they're not forged so I'll keep looking.

Hopefully someone w/ a Sport like mine will pipe in, and thanks to all of you for your help.

Thanks all!

Dave

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2008 at 7:59pm
Cool, another oxymoron...high class mudpuddle?!!?   LOL

I bet you'd find it at a farm supply or and 'old timey' hardware store.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2008 at 8:41pm
When I needed to replace my turnbuckle, I couldn't find one at any of the "big box hardware stores". I wouldn't trust the cheap aluminum variety they carried, nor could I find exactly what I needed at the local farm supply store as I needed the "open jaw" style. This is what I ended up ordering from McMaster-Carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/
Item # 3001T54
Forged Galvanized Steel Jaw & Jaw Turnbuckle 1/2"-13 Thrd, 6" Take-Up, 13-1/2"- 19-1/2" L, 2200#Wll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2008 at 9:53pm
Your mud puddle is higher class than our mud puddle, that's for sure!

The guy that works on my boat only has 3 teeth left, and he takes his time getting the work done. You have to be reeeeeeal patient. I wonder why he takes so long? He says he stays real busy...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 12:04am
Sorry, the 6 inch size was a SWAG.

So much for senior memory recall.

Ben Franklin
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 12:07am
I never knew about the turnbuckle, Mine came with a 1" webbing strap tied to the front. I replaced it with a heavy 2" 1700lb ratchet strap cut way down in lenght. Got me through the summer but now I wonder if thats adequate.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveinater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 12:18am
My 2000 lb ratchet strap "seemed" to be fine. Based on my recent experience, I wouldn't trust it...
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2008 at 2:41am
I would suggest a chain myself. Turn buckles could potentially rip the ubolt from your bow if too tight.

I have modified my trailer to get rid to the large rub rail destroying horse shoe arrangement that CC seem to love and replaced with a Vee arrangement. I also have tie downs on the rear too.

My trailer had absolutely nothing on the trailer to stop the boat falling off should the winch strap snap - which it did shortly after I got the boat.!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic