NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Want more sound(Holman Moody 302)

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 11:36pm
Reid, look at the 1st and 2nd pic's.I don't know if it's an optical illusion, but it dosen't look like the thru hulls are straight back from the manifolds either,complicating matters more
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 11:46pm
Yep, Gary. Looks like he's gonna needs Tim's fabricator too.

Ryan, I can't remember the exact cost of the thru-hulls, but I believe mine were in the $50-60 range each, and the 3-1/2's could be a little more. But don't settle of cheap imitations as these will look sculpted just like your originals.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 11:59pm
Ryan,
Cheapest I can find those thru-hulls is $81.20.
3" Thru Hulls

That is the 3in because the 3 1/2in are only listed in Bronze. Not sure bronze would look good.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
HM302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HM302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 12:07am
Wow, thats some nice exhaust tim has there. Yea I was just curious as to price but I definately want some 3.5" polished, I sent them a email to get some info on the 3.5" ones. What is the diameter of the ends of my exhaust manifolds?
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 12:10am
Roger, the bronze ones I've seen are typically chrome plated, so that look great as well, but then you'd have a bigger issue welding if need be.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 12:15am
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

http://www.buckalgonquin.com/pages/ProductPages/exhaust/tran_exh_stra_page.html

Reid, I looked at that site you provided and noticed that the 3 1/2 were listed with a Part number of "n/a" for the SS. It did not provide a part number for chromed Bronze.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
HM302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HM302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 12:19am
I see that what you are talking about Roger. I didnt notice the n/a before
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 12:25am
The HM exh dia is 3" O.D. for the main portion of the outlet, with a small lip around the end the goes to like 3.2" but does go around a 3" pipe.

EDIT: And I guess I wasn't paying attetion to what you saw Roger as it does say "cast bronze" and not chrome. Well Ryan, you may have to go to 4", and I'll hear you up on Hwy 421.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 12:30am
Keep making that thru hull bigger and before long you will be able to use chainsaw to cut it..

EDIT: I have got a couple 5lb coffee cans in the kitchen that I can let go cheap. A chainsaw and a little 5200 and you will be set.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 12:41am
That's got to be one of the badest Tri-Hulls I have ever seen. What is that 302 rated at for HP, 210? That boat must really move, what do you guy's think the top end would be?

Also, would a rigid Exhaust connection be OK in that setup?

Cool Boat Ryan!
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 12:49am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

What prop you running? I have an Acme 540...love it. Also have an OJ 13x13 Legend...this is good too. In fact..MM likes to borrow it from me.
Love them loud 80's don't we?
Reid is a pretty handy guy to know.

john

Sorry I missed this John.
Yep, I have an Acme 540 now. Made a huge difference... and not just stopping the vibration.
And you are correct, Reid is a pretty handy guy to know.... lots of good info there. And a really great guy.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 1:22am
Not to worry Roger...I figured you would find this e-mail sooner or later!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
HM302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HM302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 1:43am
Thanks for the compliments Chris. You have a very nice boat also. I called Holman Moody a long time ago and gave them the numbers on my motor and I think they told me it was rated at 225 but I am not 100% sure, its somewhere around there. She runs really good though, although I am not exactly sure what a accurate speed would be. My buddy had a old Master Craft with a 351 in it out on the lake a while back and I outrun him haha.

what exactly do you mean by a rigid setup?
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 1:49am
I think that he was referring to running a fabricated pipe (Stainless like Tims) from the thru hull to just below the manifold. Then you would use a short rubber hose section between the manifold to the pipe.
The pipe would be welding to the thru hull and the bends would allow you to install the fabricated pipe and thru hull as a single unit.
That would be my guess..
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
HM302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HM302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 1:57am
Yea that is what I was thinking and I think that is what reid was saying earlier also.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 2:00am
Roger Roger,

Wondering if in an I/O setup the motor itself moves at all when revved or loaded, there would not be much or any give on a rigid exhaust in such a tight area, if movement did occur I would imagine it would be transferred down the exhaust system and then to the hull.
HM302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HM302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 2:00am
Is there anybody else that would sell quality polished stainless thru hulls and might have 3.5", I dont believe I need to go to 4" haha
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 2:21am
3.5s are not as common as the 3" and 4".
I did find these that come in 3.5:

Thru Hull
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 3:10am
How about some nice over transom pipes

That should pick up the dB level a tad.
HM302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HM302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 6:30pm
I think I am going to go with 4". Do yall think this will look pretty good or will they look to big? The ones I am looking at are from Eddie Marine
and should I get with internal flappers or without
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 6:47pm
You dont need no stinking flappers, your exhaust isnt really underwater. I mean if you catch water over the back when you slow down you could consider it but I wouldnt worry about them too much. I think 3 inch would be how I would go with a 302 3 inch is plenty loud. I am concerned that for optimum sound your manifolds might neck down too far, I would compare your turn downs to some of the other ones shown in the diaries maybe there were different ones, if yours are really smaller its going to knock down the noise a bit.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic