NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Electronic Ignition

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Brian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electronic Ignition
    Posted: January-08-2005 at 4:59pm
I just purchased a 1986 nautique and put the boat in storage (far away from home so I can't check myself). Can anyone tell me if the 1986 came standard with an electronic ignition? If not, would you upgrade to electronic? I had a 1982 with the electronic updgrade and it always ran great. Wondering if I should do the same with this one.

Brian
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2005 at 6:57pm
I don't know about the 82 but my 89 came with points. The last time my condenser went out, two years ago, I was stranded on the water. I went ahead and upgrade, haven't had any problems since. I would keep the points and upgrade the next time there is a problem. The upgrade requires less maintenace. If you replace it before it breaks, keep the old parts in a plastic bag and keep handy as a backup.
new86owner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2005 at 12:03pm
My '86 had points. I upgraded to electronic using the Pertronix kit after my points ignition failed on me and I had to get towed in by a patrol boat.

It's been working fine ever since.

Pertronix
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2005 at 4:35pm
if your cap is a clip down this is the one    http://www.amarket.com/imptppp8.htm
Brian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2005 at 12:05am
Thanks all for the response. I am going to upgrade to electronic. The boat is in storage so I will have to wait until spring unless some one can tell me what type of ignition to buy.

New86owner, is there a part or model number I should look for? Did you have to change the coil as well?
Brian
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2005 at 12:24am
call vince at Discount Inboard Marine and he will hook you up with a Prestolite conversion kit for about 100.00 ( there is 10% discount for CCFAN if you complete the transaction online). I know with the Prestolite installation, there is no need to replace the current coil.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic