NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My trailer project

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My trailer project
    Posted: June-22-2008 at 10:01pm
The Trailer is finally done!

Before-

After-

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 11:09pm
Gary, Lookin good!! You won't have any problems making the 120 miles in several weeks!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 12:43am
Wow very nice. We got some of the same skills but not trailer painting!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 2:11am
That looks real nice.

Want to do mine??

This is the next and last big project I would like to do. My trailer is really bad and way beyond my skill set and tool arsenal. I am going to start looking around for someone to Do the metal work around the steps and sandblast and paint. And, figure out what to do with the boat while the trailer is getting done.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 12:00pm
Gary- looks great! Im finishing off my Tique trailer at the moment- care to share your method of carpeting the bunks? Im undecided as to whether carpet, then install on the trailer, or to carpet them in place.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 1:08pm
That's sweet Gary, nice work.

Tim, I wrapped mine before installing, it is a little tougher to install but I think it makes for a cleaner finish. I drilled the bolt holes in the bunks small for a press fit. Looks like thats what Gary did otherwise he did a good job hiding the carpet edges.

RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 1:13pm
That looks really nice. Is that a #2 or #3?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 1:24pm
Alan, that was my thought as well. Maybe with 2 people, it wont be so bad to get them on with the carpet already installed. Ive got the bare wood bunks installed on the trailer now, so hopefully theyll take a little bit of a set after a week.

Steve, thats a #2.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 2:21pm
My trailer has a hybrid method for making the bunks look like a clean install- it looks like the carpet was stapled on to the underside of the bunks on the outside-facing side of the bunks, then the bunks were installed and the carpet was flapped over and stapled on the inner-facing side of the bunks. That's what I plan to do when I replace the carpet. Looks really clean unless the boat is off the trailer, revealing the inner side of the bunks. The carpet is in the garage, ready to be put on. I just need to find the time.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

That looks real nice.

Want to do mine??

This is the next and last big project I would like to do. My trailer is really bad and way beyond my skill set and tool arsenal. I am going to start looking around for someone to Do the metal work around the steps and sandblast and paint. And, figure out what to do with the boat while the trailer is getting done.

Randy-

You can take it to standard welding in medina for repairs. I would get rid of the carpet.

I have a couple of sand blasting guys too...

Tim

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Alan, that was my thought as well. Maybe with 2 people, it wont be so bad to get them on with the carpet already installed. .

I second the 2 people idea, I did mine myself and was certainly a challenge especially with the fiberglass pan because you can't just reach over the rail and put the nut on. Tons of fun
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 5:10pm
Looks real nice, Gary.

Regarding the tracing for the side panels, how do you think 30# felt will work?
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 6:15pm
Might be able to get you a trailer too.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 9:36pm
Thanks for the complements guy's. It was a tough job because of the GL deadline.1st the guy who was going to blast it,went out of business,2nd guy never returned my calls.The 3rd guy said he would do it that afternoon and was $100 cheaper than the others.Then everyday that I wanted to paint,it was raining,on the nice days, I was working.
I carpeted the rails with them off on a couple of stands(horses) and used clamps to hold the rails down as I worked.I was able to get stainless staples at Home Depot,and the carpet at Menards,we will see how it holds up.I have the carpet stapled just on the sides,I didn't want to wrap under because I stapled the light wires to the underside of the mounted rails. My rails were the originals in real nice shape with a real nice curve to them from being in place so long.It still took 2 people to reinstall them tho.
It is a #2,Correct Craft said the boat and it left together in December of 68.
Bruce,what ever is easy for you,as long as shipping won't kill me. Thanks
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 11:23pm
Wow....nice job Gary.

Rob
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 2:57am
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Might be able to get you a trailer too.

Tim, I sometimes wish I had just replaced the trailer to start with. But, at this point I have put so much money into the trailer that I can't justify replacing it. Mechanically it's like new but it needs some serious cosmetic work. I don't want to hijack this thread. send me an email or give me a call in the evening and let me know what you got on the trailer or sandblasting work.

rwise@neo.rr.com

339-704-6334
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 11:22am
Randy don't worry about hijacking,thats how good ideas get passed on-
Just to let you know,and keep in mind your trailer is bigger,here is what I used.It was $200 to blast,I watched him do it,from setup to finish was under an hour. I used 1 qt of primer,1qt of color.I only did the trailer and 1 upright since I had completed the rest last year.Primer surfacer,filler,sandpaper etc I already had.And new LED lights because it turned out so well,and hours of block sanding.
I can't imagine how much time it takes to "weed" a pumpkin patch!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic