Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shaft Coupler Removal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shaft Coupler Removal
    Posted: December-29-2004 at 8:21pm
How do I remove the coupler from the drive shaft? I have removed the two set screws and it won't come off. I tried wedging a short bolt in between the coupler and the transmission flange and then I put two longer bolts through the bolt holes and cranked down on them. It still didn't move. I'm afraid if I tighten-down the bolts too much I will distort the coupler flange.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
GottaSki View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2004 at 10:30am
Slide hammer and penetrating oil, perhaps.
The flange may alread be comprimised by your improvisation, sounds like something I would do.

you could use 4 bolts, and back-up the flange with some additional steel to keep it from distorting, but you may need to add some heat too.

Don't fret, a sawsall, and a double-taper shaft and flange is an easy upgrade.

the bonus is the DT flange is always square to the shaft so you can align the engine with greater precision.

Other less destructive options are to remove the engine, or the strut....
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2004 at 12:04pm
Thanks for the reply. I went back and tried it with 4 bolt instead of 2. It worked fine. Pushed the shaft right out.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic