Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: learning to barefoot
    Posted: June-10-2008 at 6:34pm
allright guys i'm thinking of try barefoot. we tried it once before on a boom didn't succeed. but want to try again we traded the boom for wakeboard lesson so i have to try it on long line. how's the best way to do it don't have a exttended pylon nor a suit. I'm thinking of starting on a kneeboard. what speed is the boat supouse to be going? rope lenght?
thnx
kenrick
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2008 at 11:27pm
Well, what I always did is: longest line I had, as fast as the boat could go, wearing boardshorts and vest, start sitting on a wakeboard between the bindings and go to Vmax, then stand up.

Worked for me, but I'm sure there are better ways
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 1:02am
Worked for Trip, could work for you. Don't think I would teach someone with those exact instructions however. If you do not have a suit be sure and buckle your vest very tight, a hard fall can easily bring a loose vest up your torso and trap your arms upright while your head is below the water.
Do some searches, learning to foot has been discussed many times, you may even find some video.
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 1:21am
i'm gonna try it that way if i get a chance i've been watching many videos of crashes first timers and pro's
thnx for the help let you guys know how it works out i i don't break a limb haha
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 1:52pm
Nobody really gave you a speed suggestion. A rule of thumb is your weight divided by 10 plus 20, so if you weigh 180, speed is about 38. Seems like a decent rule of thumb if you are in that weight range. If you go the wakeboard route (Ive never done that, but I've done kneeboard, same difference, except wakeboard might be easier.) Just get up to cruising speed, 18-20 mph. Get stable, solid and comfortable at that speed on the board with your feet up (straight out in front of you). Then GENTLY BEND YOUR KNEES and place your feet on the water until they are scooting along without much weight on them. Now have your driver accelerate to your footin speed. Slowly place more and more weight on your feet as he speeds up. Spread you legs to drop the board when you feel that your feet are supporting you. If and when you are up, keep your knees bent, almost full 90 degrees in what they call the sitting in the chair position.

Keep us posted. Videos and pictures are a plus (for all of us) at this stage. Good luck.
beachdude24 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachdude24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 2:07pm
i weigh about 250 damn that's 45 mph haha need a dieet and fast haha yeah i'll take some photos for you guys to laugh at haha. a friend told me once that you can wear normal skate shoes you first times to get used to footin is this true or wil the shoe only give you more trouble?
Living the Salt Life...Life is better in Aruba
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by beachdude24 beachdude24 wrote:

i weigh about 250 damn that's 45 mph haha need a dieet and fast haha yeah i'll take some photos for you guys to laugh at haha. a friend told me once that you can wear normal skate shoes you first times to get used to footin is this true or wil the shoe only give you more trouble?

crap i posted with my brothers username auto login with his pc
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 2:44pm
Yeah sure, use the shoes, I sarted out with plain old sneakers. It does make it easier. But keep in mind, once you get the hang of it, bare feet are actually less squirrily than shoes, which tend to slide around a little. You are a pretty big guy, but I dont think you will have to go quite as high as 45, especially with shoes. Try around 42. If you do get up but feel like you are struggling or getting a ton of spray in your face, speed it up a bit.

If you have trouble with the whole wakeboard approach, you can try dropping a ski. (thats how I taught myself in 1972, long before booms, kneeboards, and barefoot suits were around). I took off the rear toe and the heel piece, rammed my sneaker into the toe piece. Got cruising about 20 and with my rear foot still on the ski, scooched my shoe out of the toe piece. Picked up speed, planted rear foot, and then just flicked away the ski. (Yes, its just that simple, well it did take about 50 tries, but yest, just that simple.)
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 6:03pm
thnx i'm gonna try it sitting on a wake board with shoes on i fail i'll try the drop a ski hope to get it in the first few tries haha
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 9:42pm
If you are able to maneuver the kneeboard enough to get outside of the wake, that will surely help. the water is much harder and smoother right on the outside of the crest. You have to do this right off the bat with the boat still going fairly slow, otherwise, you will do an evil kneivel over the wake if you wait too long. I'll try to find a good pic of where to ride.
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 9:45pm
i know what you mean you're saying out of the wake a few feet later then the wake correct? i think i saw a vid of a guy trying it for first time on a kneeboard to
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 10:00pm
Correct. You want to be out of the wake by the time you get up to the roller that the boat makes when it is taking off... Or close to it anyway. Then, slowly turn yourself back in a little until you are just outside of the where the wake curls.
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 10:06pm
As soon as the boat starts moving, you want to start leaning. The driver can help a little too by slightly turning into the side that you are going to foot off of. Once you are outside the wake, the driver can straighten up.
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 10:07pm
If you don't have a suit. WEAR A CUP!!!
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 10:47pm
all right i'll wear a cup i'll post pics i my girlfriend remember to take some ahha
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 10:52pm
Hopefully not of your cup...
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 10:54pm
hahahah nooo lol
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 10:57pm
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 11:30pm
thnx man those kind of videos make me want to go try that right now lol
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 11:32pm
on thing i noticed that he's ussing either a tower or extended pylon. he said "let the boat pull you up don't stnad up" does a low pylon do the same??
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 12:36am
You'll feel the boat pulling you up still. You want to put your heels in pretty slow to get the feel. While you are doing this, the driver should be steadily increasing speed. Next thing you know, your are footing ... Unless you start seeing sky then water then sky then water then sky and you notice that your eye sockets are filled with water. Then you did something wrong. Good luck to you! It will definitely take a couple tries. Let us know.
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 10:27am
doesnt anyone try those big clown shoes anymore? Ive never heard them mentioned, Im pretty agile and never could get up in the deep even with the shoes. i got injected with water more than anything. even tried the kneeboard and could not ever do it off the kneeboard. so Pete i stuck to tubing
"the things you own will start to own you"
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 11:10am
Yep. they still use them. The one's that are out now are over 100 bucks. Who would want to waste money to learn on these things when you will probably end up in traction for the rest of your life from your first attempt at barefooting
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 12:33pm
Doing deeps with the shoes I find is actually more difficult that barefoot. I feel they are better for training or learning new stuff than actually learning to barefoot.
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 1:07pm
you guys are talking to the barefooting shoes right? not the skate shoes? i never understood the concet of deep water and i think shallow what do you mean by that?
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 1:15pm
You're right on HW. Also, you can learn some bad habits on them if you don't get it down on bare feet first.
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 1:57pm
I am trying to learn long line (I don't have a boom) I did manage to get up for 30 seconds once. I can slide around the whole lake on my butt but my issue is the transition to standing up.

I have not tried this year yet. I don't want to tear my triceps again like last year. Remember you can't stop your body falling at 40 mph by sticking your arm out. The water will want to force your arm over your head and around your back in an unnatural way. lol

Make sure to video, the crashes are spectacular.

Maybe I'll get some help if I come up to the NE reunion. But by then, I might have it nailed - maybe.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 4:53pm
when crasin what is the best way to uhm stop a crash or get less injury i'll post some pics and video if my gf remember to take some if she ain't laughing to much. I'm 17 so i can affort a few crashes haha. also what line do i have to use non strech or a strech? i have both wich one to use?? or it doesn't manner?
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 5:10pm
Tuck your head to your chest. That's about all you have time for. Don't put your hands out. I've done that once and ended up punching myself in the face. Not quite as bad as MM, but it still hurt.
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 7:30pm
non stretch line. I learned deep water starts using a stretchy line. Needless to say your first attempts don't always work out too well. Sometimes you get dragged down to the bottom of the lake with the handle rammed into your thighs. The 75 foot rope stretches out to about 100' feet, you cant hold on any longer because you're either 30 feet deep or plowing through the muck. The handle on the stretchy rope is torn from your hands with the force of a small jet plane, inevitably smashing into the tops of your feet leaving them bruised and swollen like someone clubbed you with a baseball bat.

Or so I am told anyway.

Moral of the story...non-stretchy rope.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 152>
  Share Topic