NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Check out JBear!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 11:43am
Congrats Larry!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 2:09pm
John,

My son (15) was driving and my daughter's boyfriend (19) was the observer. Neither one of them had ever seen this done (live) before, let alone drive for it, but my son did great. I just told him what to do when and he did it perfectly. I got planing, planted and chest off the water on my first try because he did so well.

I was wondering about the spray. After looking back at you pictures I figured maybe stance width was the problem, but also considered speed (28-30) or the shoes might be the problem.

I'll try the narrower stance tomorrow. Also, what speed are you going?

Here are a couple other pics of the progression. I especially like number 2, looks like something has gone terribly wrong.

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 12:23am
75, those are great pics. I agree #2 is a classic!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Watercraftsales View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watercraftsales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2008 at 6:39pm
75 Tique, there is nothing wrong with the pictures you sent. The spray from your body is normal. The problems are that you are using tennis shoes for footing. Not a good idea as they are ten times more slippery and not enough of an edge in surface compared to shoe skies. You need to focus on pulling your toes back to your shins and planting the ball of your ankle instead of your toes.

Secondly I would extend and relax your arms. Some people teach to have your arms into your lower back, mostly show skiers who learned by stepping off. The general consensus is a relaxed less tense position is one with arms fully extended, but back arched so that top of your forearms are still on your butt. You can certainly become a great footer with your arms in your lower back, but it can one thing that is messing you up.

Also on the shortline you will get spray from the boat banging your shin closest to the boat, once you get past the fulcrum point the spray will dissapate as you gain speed.

I would suggest low to mid 30's max speed until you become more comfortable. I learned to backfoot longline before I through a pair of barefoot trainer shoe skis on, but once I did it made a huge difference in my skiing.   
Let me know if you have any more questions.

Regards,

Ryan
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2008 at 1:12am
Larry:

Liked the extra pictures. Looks like you are getting it. Speed for me is mid 30's I believe. Are you using the Tique? That might explain some of the spray as I get alot off the sides of the '80. But using Eddie's Am Skier there is almost no spray at all. Keep after it!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2008 at 1:14pm
I would take the shoes off until you know where to put your feet in the water. Can't feel anything with the shoes on.

Tim

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic