NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

bad tires

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Ryan S. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bad tires
    Posted: December-08-2004 at 7:50pm
I've heard stories about parking trailers in cold garages over the winter (direct contact with the cement floor) and finding that the tires were toast in the spring. Can I assume that a trailer parked on crushed gravel will be ok? Is there any need for a barrior of some sort? Thanks
Ryan
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2004 at 12:28pm
I have never heard or experienced such problems...but I live in a mild climate. You could always block up the trailer axle(s) and remove the tires to warm storage.
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2004 at 5:52pm
I haven't heard of any difference the type of surface the tires sits on makes a difference. Letting the tires sit for an extended time on any surface is conducive to creating bad spots in the tires. You can put blocks underneath so that the tires are just off the ground, or some people insist on overinflating the tires by about 10 to 15 PSI instead(let the air back out before you trailer again.) It may be simplier just move the trailer every other month or so to get the tires to move. Some do neither and use "hope" as a method.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2004 at 6:44pm
I have two sets of rims and tires. The old set gets put on after winterization to sit still and who cares if they get flat spots and cracks. In the spring, the newer set goes back on. I bought a set when I got a price from a tire dealer for a tire and it was the same price as a tire and rim from Agri Supply.
Tim D
502 Python View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502 Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2004 at 5:47pm
I have not had any problem leaving mine aired up and on the tires through the winter. If I had a spare set I would probably do what Tim D does, though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic