NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

289 rocker arm adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ethyl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ethyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 289 rocker arm adjustment
    Posted: May-02-2008 at 4:18pm
I have searched the forums and don't seem to find this info. My 65 Amer. Skier has a 289 Ford. Several of the rocker arms seem very loose with the valves closed. I am wondering how to adjust these. Thanks in advance for your help. This a GREAT site. John.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2008 at 4:38pm
Are your heads have the pressed-in studs like these?

If so, I dont believe the rockers are adjustable. Are all the springs the same height? When you say loose, do you mean that they have play up and down or side to side?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2008 at 4:45pm
UUUMMMMMMMMM? WHAT? what have you been smoking today?

usually press in studs are of the adjustable varity, pedistal and rail systems are not. Now if there is sometype of sleeve/support that slides over the stud for the rocker to rest on then ok non-adjustable but the picture needs to be taken from the other side.

so with the engine running back it off until it start to chatter then slowly tighten it down until it stops making noise, then it's 3/4 of a turn a 1/4 turn at a time slowly so that you give the lifter time to adjust and not send the valve through the piston.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2008 at 5:03pm
Chris, this is my first time dealing with Ford's factory pressed in studs. On the 2 rockers I removed, the nuts were torqued down to the shoulder on the stud. No idea if the engine was assembled correctly, but they didnt seem adjustable to me. If the threads extended further, I can see how they would have been. I think these are a totally different animal than the pressed or screwed in studs you see available today. I could be completely wrong.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2008 at 5:09pm
usually what happens is the stud pulls out some over time (that's why press in studs suck) or someone will get/use the wrong length of push rod that makes the rocker bottom out on the threads. Sometimes you can use washer in between the nut and seat depending on the ball feature that the rocker pivits on, some clear the studs body others just clear the threads. And keep in mind I just talking in general and not specific to this as It's hard to see exactly what style of the valve train it is from the angle you took the shot at.
ethyl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ethyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2008 at 5:30pm
TR, the play is mostly side to side and the lock nut can be tightened which reduces the play. Thanks.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2008 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by ethyl ethyl wrote:

TR, the play is mostly side to side and the lock nut can be tightened which reduces the play. Thanks.

Side to side play isnt necessarily a problem. You'll want to check to see if your lifter preload is set properly. That would be the driving factor behind any adjustments you make.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2008 at 7:09pm
If its a true 289, 289's do not have positive stop (shouldered) studs. I encountered this on my early model '68 302 (first year).
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2008 at 7:16pm
Tom, just to clarify- what I have on my early (71) 302 pictured above is the positive stop studs, correct? Are the 289's different? Which type is adjustable?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2008 at 9:13pm
Right, those are called postitive-stop due to the shoulders. By late '68 the 302's look like that.

They were both press-in studs and not suitable for mech cams or high revs.

I got the best results setting them with it running, unwind one at a time till it clacks then slowly tighten till quiet then an extra 3/4 turn or so, I forget the exact 'turnage'

but kinda messy without the rocker oil clips made for such work.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic