NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

tranny fluid change

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
82ski2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82ski2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tranny fluid change
    Posted: May-02-2008 at 12:51am
hey guys, this is my first tranny fluid change, what do u guys use fluidwise? and what is the easiest way to drain and dispose of cleanly? thanks for all the help as usual
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2008 at 12:54am
Dexron/Mercon only, no transmission tune-ups in a bottle, no synthetics,
use the search for pumping transmission oil
"the things you own will start to own you"
82ski2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82ski2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2008 at 12:55am
i hear ur the man, thanks eric
82ski2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82ski2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2008 at 1:02am
one more thing, alotta other forums are saying that the older boats used 20w oil. why is that? and it said one place the 20w makes is quieter and smoother. do i need take the lines off to get the old oil out, or will that liitle bit not hurt anything. sorry for all the questions
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by 82ski2001 82ski2001 wrote:

one more thing, alotta other forums are saying that the older boats used 20w oil. why is that? and it said one place the 20w makes is quieter and smoother. do i need take the lines off to get the old oil out, or will that liitle bit not hurt anything. sorry for all the questions

Listen to Eric, he makes his living fixing these and offers the best advice.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 3:39pm
he may have an earlier PCM, in order to swap over to Dexron Merc, you need to completely clean the 20 w out of the trans

What trans do you have? I assumed it was a Borg, the later PCMs swuitched to Dex/Merc. one i rebuild an older pcm i switch over to dexmerc.

if so, you may have to stay with the 20,
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 2:49am
Do you mean dextronIII/Mercron? I know my ford transmission in my truck calls for Mercron ONLY, but it is Dextron III/Mercron. I had the person that rebuilt my trans say any old trans fluid is fine. I change it every year.

Let me know about the Dextron III/Mercron rating.
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 10:20am
DexronIII/Mercon   yes
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 5:11pm
Thanks Eric. I think I have some in the garage.
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2008 at 3:47am
Eric, Castrol Syntec has been used in our 82 2001 for about 3 seasons. Should I switch back to regular tranny oil ? We have never had a re build or any tranny problems so far. Thanks, Dan
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2008 at 12:44pm
Dans, you decide, every trans school i went to, Twin Disc, Funk, Clark that was always one of the top questions....and the answer always was none of these transmissions are designed to use synthetic oil because it robs the co-efficiency of friction which makes the plates break free easier than they do with normal oils
that basically was the only reason, In a transmission you do not have cast iron running against similar metals like piston rings in an engine, there is no real contact of anything inside the trans besides the clutch plates, (ball bearings roll) and in a transmission you are relying on the friction to hold the plates together.
Chances are you probably will never see a problem running the synthectics in these transmissions because of the prop size (small) these transmissions are also used in larger boats spinning twice the prop and these are where the synthetics would probably be noticed.
Is there any advantages to running synthetics in a transmission?? I cant think of one
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2008 at 12:49pm
The advantage would be to the store selling expensive oil.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2008 at 12:58pm
here is a good way to understand transmissions: if you put your hands together as if you were praying, your left arm is the engine and your right arm is the prop shaft and your hands sandwiched together is the transmission, if you put molasses between your hands and try to spin them you will have a tough time, now if you use hand creme between the two it is easier to spin them free of eachother, this is a good example of using synthetics (hand creme) when building higher horsepower trannys you always take this into account and a couple things you do is: increase hand size (piston) add more hands (cluthes) push hands together harder (more pressure) dont use hand creme (oil)
hopefully this will answer your question and it makes it easier to understand how the trans operates
BTW, your hands sndwiched together is considered the co-efficiency of friction
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2008 at 4:36pm
Eric , So if you were me would you switch out to the regular ? If so should I just change it the next three times I go out & be done with the switch. I guess I could go to a regular castrol dexron/mercon. There is no dangers going back to regular oil after synthetic is there ? Thanks Eric. Dan
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2008 at 5:00pm
yeah, i would dilute and then flush with normal Dexron/Mercon and then use it from here on out

no dangers
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2008 at 10:41pm
Eric: I use Alison C4 around here, there's another wich says HIDRO ATF, "Dextron III type oil" or something. What do you think?
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2008 at 3:13pm
eric,
I guess i am confused...but what if you have no idea what the PO used before. I am reading that i should just change whatever is in there to DexronIII/Mercon?????

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic