Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

tune up how to

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tune up how to
    Posted: April-13-2008 at 12:57am
I am learning to try to do most of the maintenance on my boat. I have never done a tune up.

Is it too hard to learn and do i just need to let the marina do it?

If someone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

sorry for the basic question.
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 6:03am
Shawn, have you changed spark plugs before? How handy are you with tools and what is your background. Also it would be helpful to now the year model of your boat. Many things talked about on this site are easy for some and near impossible for others.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 10:25am
i have changed spark plugs. I am no mechanic by anymeans, but follow directions well.

1986 SN Ford 351 PCM

thanks
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2008 at 5:40pm
For an engine tune-up, along with changing spark plugs, you will need to change ignition points/condenser and adjust the points with a feeler gauge first and then a dwell meter (assuming it hasn't been converted to electronic). Depending the time since the last tune-up, you may also need to put on a new distributor cap, rotor and plug wires. Once that is done, ignition timing will need to be checked....this will require a timing light and tachometer.

An oil change, transmission fluid change, new impeller would also most likely be in order.

As was mentioned earlier, the difficulty factor will depend on your experience and tools that you have available. If you do try it on your own, most around here will be willing to give suggestions and help but it could end up being a bigger project than you want to take on.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2008 at 3:10pm
Shawn, performing your own tune up can be a very rewarding task. I encourage you to learn the process and try it yourself. It will help you be in tune with the performance of you boat
The guys on here will help you out if you have any trouble or need any help along the way. And if you really end up in a bind, then you can always take it to a pro anyway. But, I really don't think that will happen to you.
-Brad
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2008 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by shawnmc shawnmc wrote:

1986 SN Ford 351 PCM

thanks

Whew!
I thought the mc in shawnmc stood for something else.

Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2008 at 5:01pm
would it have been mastercrap?

nope....part of my last name.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2008 at 5:06pm
Hey now. Of the three responses you got, 1 owns an MC, and the other a Bu. Lot's of good guys with knowledge out there even if they did walk into the wrong show room when they bought a boat.

I'm no mechanical genius myself, but you can get through a tuneup if you want to. You need some basic tools, and you'll need to invest in or borrow a timing light and a dwell meter. There have been lots of guys who started out with no knowledge, and the group here walked them through it. BKH
Livin' the Dream

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2008 at 5:33pm
No need for a dwell meter if you can't find one. They're getting harder and harder to get a hold of these days. A feeler gauge will suffice for a dwell meter but the meter is definitely more accurate.

Once you do the tune up, you may be interested in upgrading to an electronic ignition. Then you don't have to mess with points, condenser, feeler gauges, dwell meters or anything else like that in the future. Just change plugs, wires, cap and rotor when needed. Much easier.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2008 at 8:40pm
Lets back up a little and start with the basics cause I know there was a guy on this site at one time that thought there were only 4 spark plugs on the engine and didnt change the 4 on the other side. so the first question is: you do know that there is a total of 10 plugs on the engine
"the things you own will start to own you"
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2008 at 9:04pm
that one gets a dundee award
"the things you own will start to own you"
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 11:18am
do i need to just buy a tune up kit from ski-dim or do you recommend getting everyhthing from a local parts store?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 11:50am
Originally posted by shawnmc shawnmc wrote:

do i need to just buy a tune up kit from ski-dim or do you recommend getting everyhthing from a local parts store?

well that depends if you really want to pay the shipping cost for the same stuff.
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 12:02pm
that was my question.

thanks
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 12:59pm
Chris(79),
Thread Jack
I am also going to change my circulating water pump. It started leaking and the guy I talked to said that once it is leaking he recommended changing the whole thing vs. a seal. Can you use the same one at autozone since it is not marine grade? I thought i could just take it off and take it to autozone. When I called he said average price was $40.00

This is the one at ski dim. Thanks as always for your comments.

CIRC PUMP FORD BI-ROTATIONAL
Item :WP-2225MN   
Unit Price : $119.99
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 1:28pm
where ever you get it it needs to be bi-directional or the correct directional pump, makes no difference being marine.
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 1:50pm
called oriely's.

cast iron bi directional water pump for 1986 351 ford was 19.99

Aluminum was a little more expensive

ski-dim and mwcc.

is this too good to be true?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 1:54pm
no
baumanmt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baumanmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 12:10am
What is the expense and work involved in the electronic ignition, I want to swith my 84 SN over.
gb842001
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 1:07am
Price for the parts will be in the $100-$150 range.

If you don't mind getting the information from another site, check this Link
for some pretty good step by step photos.
baumanmt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baumanmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 1:45am
Thanks thats a great post- it looks easy, I just need to figure out what all I need to order from skidim, one kit was 450.00 and some things were only 100.00 , not sure what a commander 351 uses.
gb842001
RT1963 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RT1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 1:52am
If you get the complete distributor kit (Distributor,Coil and wires) make sure you know the rotation of you motor.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 11:07am
Originally posted by RT1963 RT1963 wrote:

If you get the complete distributor kit (Distributor,Coil and wires) make sure you know the rotation of you motor.

if your going that route there are a lot of other options that are much cheaper than what Skidim sales. The conversion kit they are talking about is not replacing the whole dist. just the points in the dist.
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 12:44pm
I am in kind of the same boat as Shawn. I want to do the tune up myself. I have the plugs and wires, that is no problem. The distributer is the concern. I am not familiar with dwell. I can do the timing, no big deal. I read that if you convert to electronic than you don't have to set the dwell? Converting has me concerned as well, though, because it seems just as many people are complaining about thier conversion as there are people praising it.

Boat is running pretty good right now. Should I just leave well enough alone and just replace the plugs and wires? As someone else said, I don't want to leave anything on the table, but I don't want to be messing with it for the next month. I would rather be skiing.
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 3:32pm
Why is everyone replacing their wires so often???
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 3:48pm
I, for one, have never replaced mine. From the looks of them, the PO had not in a while either.
Boats:
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 3:59pm
I think unless you have reason to believe you need plug wires just keep the ones you have. They can be old and work just fine.

As long as they are quality, they can be 10 years old and be fine.
Work to live, not live to work.

azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 5:07pm
It is completly possible that mine are original. And trust me, they look like they are. Both the plugs and the wires look as though they have seen better days. They are in pretty bad shape.

My biggest question was, if the boat is running pretty good (starts right up, runs strong, no misses or backfires) should I mess with trying to upgrade/rebuild distributer? Again, this looks as though it has not been done in several years.
Boats:
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 9:28pm
If I did want to upgrade to the electronic ignition, are these the parts I would need?

BREAKERLESS IGNITION KIT 87 UP
Item :RP173072   Price : $149.50

Also, I was going to get this new cap:
DISTRIBUTOR CAP PRESTOLITE W/SCREWS 87 UP
Item :RA108003   Price : $19.25

Is that it? Anyone done this? Results?

Is this new distributer basically the same thing as I am talking about doing, except whole new assembly?
MALLORY 5.8 BREAKERLESS LH 351
Item :RA107025A   Price : $294.00

Sorry for all the dumb questions. Have not ever had to mess with a distributor.
Boats:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic