Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why are Inboards more Expensive

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
britdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why are Inboards more Expensive
    Posted: April-05-2008 at 9:11pm
Coming from the I/O world and now seriously considering an Inboard ski boat and probably a CC, I now am left without a good answer my wife's question of "Why are they so much more expensive?"
I know CCs have a reputation of being very well-built boats, but beyond that, what makes Inboards in general, so much more expensive than a similarly-sized I/O?
Can you help?

Thank you!!
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 9:44pm
Short answer because they are worth it.

I think you've answered your own question. You own an I/O, and you want to move from the
I/O to the Inboard. Clearly there is some feature, capability, etc. that you cannot get in the I/O. If you want something you can't get in an I/O, you have to pay for it.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 11:13pm
This is a generalization, but it's my take on it: In an I/O, a manufacturer can take any hull, cut a huge hole in back, drop an I/O powerplant in and be good to go. The hull can be a deep V hull with lifting strakes a-plenty because who cares about the wake? The trim-able outdrive will compensate for how the hull rides and no real performance is expected wake-wise and driving wise. You drive around, pull some tubes, and have a "boat". The steering and propulsion systems are all-in one drop-in units so there's no R/D there on the manufacturer's part. Maintenance is tedious and expensive on the outdrive.

Now take a ski boat. For starters, the hull has to be engineered such that it trims and rides correctly with a fixed drive and rudder. Not only that, but generally the wake either needs to be non-existent for slalom or very existent in the case of wakeboarders, with a specific shape and everything. An inboard customer expects performance- just take a few high-speed turns in a ski boat and you'll understand. Everything has to be over-engineered to endure extremes. It's a specialty product that is engineered for a specific purpose for very demanding customers.

So, in a nutshell you have either a generic hull with a pre-fab propulsion/steering unit (I/O) VS. a specialty product designed from top to bottom to please very demanding customers (Inboard).

2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2008 at 11:48pm
Maybe some things have changed in the I/O world since I've had a Nautique, but back 10-15 years ago when we were skiing behind them, a 180 horse I/O was as good of a power plant that was out there. In my experience even with that kind of HP you needed an aluminum block to get any kind of speed out of it. When they hooked up a barefooter behind any inboard on the market, it was enough to drag 3 or 4 as fast as they were willing to go, and that to me is a pretty good definition of what a real ski boat is all about. I think if you could land a clean 99 go for it, I've yet to hear of anyone regretting owning a correct craft. We only wished we bought ours long before we did.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 11:02am
Originally posted by britdog britdog wrote:

Coming from the I/O world and now seriously considering an Inboard ski boat and probably a CC, I now am left without a good answer my wife's question of "Why are they so much more expensive?"
I know CCs have a reputation of being very well-built boats, but beyond that, what makes Inboards in general, so much more expensive than a similarly-sized I/O?
Can you help?

Thank you!!

Tell your wife to do some research on resale value of an IO VS. a quality ski boat such as a Correct Craft or MC.

Tim

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 11:24am
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Originally posted by britdog britdog wrote:

Can you help?

Thank you!!

Tell your wife to do some research on resale value of an IO VS. a quality ski boat such as a Correct Craft or MC.

Tim

Resale value has nothing to do with the question.

Brit, Quality is a key but your wife is going with the apples and oranges here. Go price a top of the line Cobalt with a same length CC with the same equipment (no tower or ballast system). I'll bet you find that the Cobalt is more expensive! It's quality is probably better too!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 11:57am
the best thing that ever happened to these big ski boat companies was the coming age of wakeboarding, if not for the popularity of it they would still be peddling mediocre (no towers, no ballast...you get the point) 100 boats a year. they are quality boats but... on a scale of 1 to 10 they are in the middle jmo.. there are things that could be improved on and things that are top quality. lets say even the shifters there are $100.00 shifters and there are $1000.00 shifters and ski boats are more towards the $100.00 shifters
they are pricey because every kid in town that wants one has a dad with a big bank role to back it, and it drives the price of them up. 15 years ago you could slap 20 grand down and get a nice damn ski boat, the equivalant today would be 45k, that surpassed inflation so i think it comes down to supply and demand. this is only an opinion
"the things you own will start to own you"
britdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 12:05pm
No doubt, the inboards seem to hold their value, but my question was "why"?
Overall build quality I would think is a main part of the answer, as bpbarinard responded.
I do think that an I/O like Cobolt or a newer Cris Craft would be more similarly priced to my Chaparral, which although as good quality brand, is not up there with those other brands.

M3Fan's response also helps from the perspective of the design engineering that goes into them.

Thank for all your responses, so far, this is really helpful in getting me up-on-plane quickly on this subject !\
britdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by ripsaw ripsaw wrote:

I've yet to hear of anyone regretting owning a correct craft.

Neither have I
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 12:11pm
I was at my local Mastercraft dealer last year (spying) he sold 2 x-80s 89k apiece on the spot, an exec swiped a check for one of them and his cfo swiped a check for the other, no finacing, you guys see these 20 year olds crusing around in the 50-60k boats. the ski boat companies are capatalizing on this which they can and also drives the base line boat prices up. as Pete said look at a Cobalt, or a whaler these are top line boats and when you take a ride in one you'll see why.
Correct Crafts have always been the top line ski boat and when you think of skiing you think of Correct Craft, and you wouldnt ski behind any other boat...its persona too
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 12:14pm
just like kids in tennis shoes, they arnt going to wear 9.99 walmart shoes to school which are just as good...they want 150.00 nikes which you know that there is no way on earth a pair of shoes is worth 150 bucks...but you gotta have em
britdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 12:41pm
So, what you're saying is that there's also a good dose of brand cache involved, right?

That part of it means nothing to me. I'm looking for a boat that is going to perform well and last for a long time with regular maintenance that I'll mostly do myself.

But in addition to the cache aspect, you're all saying that these boats are at least on-par, from a construction and design quality standpoint as other top line (I/O and outboard) brands, like Cobolt and Whaler.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 1:05pm
if you want to ski and have years of service with respect of servicing the boat you buy a CC, it is an all around good quality boat. the new boat prices have got way out of hand, lets face it these boats do one thing....pull a man on a ski, they did it well 40 years ago and still do it well today, they hold value because of the supply and demand and dont let a deal go sour over 500 bucks. its do or die time with boats right now alot of people are dumping them because of the current economy and gas prices, so if you lift some carpets and look in the dark corners you should be able to find a nice CC in the 10 to 20k range
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 2:03pm
Was in my local cc dealer this thursday, there was a brand new nautique that was pushing 60 grand. The tandem axle trailer looked like there was a grand just in the rims, why? I would have to agree with eric, the people purchasing these boats probaly aren't skiing behind them. Is wake boarding turning into a fashion show, I just can't beleive there is that big of a demand for $60 plus boats. Britdog if you can swing a 99 and by it at fair price you will have a lot more fun in the water, and boat you won't have to worry about on resale.
britdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 2:10pm
Good advice.
The one I'm looking at looks very clean...the only blemish I have seen is a couple of cracks in the rear seat trim. I've not yet taken it for a ride, but am going to before any commitment
It's a 1999 Sport Nautique with 400 hours on it and the GT 40 engine.
It's listed for $23,500 at a dealer who specializes in CCs.
What would you consider a fair deal on this boat?
britdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 2:12pm
We're skiers, BTW. No wakeboarders here...not that there's anything wrong with that
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 2:28pm
correct crafts seem to bring whoever want's them the most. When I bought mine 10 years ago, I got in a bidding war in the drive way with another guy. I ended up paying $100 dollars more than he was asking. No regrets though still the best money Ive spent. Check the for sale boats on this site. Most of them seem pretty fairly priced, might give you a ball park of what the 99's are bringing.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 2:48pm
let someone else take the big hit and buy used, you pay 20k for it and in 5 years it will bring that same money, if you pay the top dollar they surely will depreciate immediately, unless you have a money press in the basement, they do re-sell well, just be smart up front when purchasing.
ripsaw, guy's have shanked a deal for less than 100 bucks, thats why i said earlier dont let a deal go sour over a few hundred bucks, if its a nice boat and you want it, buy it, that guy that was to cheap to go to 150.00 probably regrets it everyday
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 2:50pm
I at least hope he does.
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 7:22pm
britdog,
Go test drive that '99 Ski Nautique you're thinking to buy with your wife - ski behind it if you can. You and your wife will understand the difference between it and an I/O right away.

Good luck!

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 11:25pm
Thats a fact Jack!!!!      I mean Keith.
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
britdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Keith Keith wrote:

Go test drive that '99 Ski Nautique you're thinking to buy with your wife - ski behind it if you can. You and your wife will understand the difference between it and an I/O right away.
-Keith

Yep - I'm looking forward to doing that, once the ice goes out of the lake enough. I've skied behind one before, so I know the difference. It'll be too cold, even with a wetsuit to get in the water for this run, though.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 12:40pm
Inboard ski boats used to be the best buy out there because there was a lot of competition and a limited amount of buyers. You got a top quality boat for a very reasonable price.   Then wakeboard specific boats were invented and created huge demand for the manufacturers. Now they've been able to crank the prices way up because the demand for wakeboat boats is so strong, and they're basically doing us traditional 3 event boat buyers a favor by still making them.
footinforever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote footinforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 1:09pm
Like keith Said, If you can't figure out why Inboards are light years ahead of i/o's, no bow rise for one, driving is believing. If you still can't justify a nautique after driving it, then an I/o is all you will ever need.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 1:16pm
As far as why they are better, drive one and like the old saying, if you need to ask, you wouldn't understand.
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 9:03pm
what footinfever said about bow rise is one of our favorite things about an inboard. If you you are pulling young ones around at slow speeds you can still see where your going. Maybe the IOs have changed some with the jacks on the back, but they never seemed to plain out until 20 mph. Ive met them comming at me pulling kids and your not sure if they can see you or not.
britdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by ripsaw ripsaw wrote:

Maybe the IOs have changed some with the jacks on the back, but they never seemed to plain out until 20 mph. Ive met them coming at me pulling kids and your not sure if they can see you or not.

Nope, you haven't missed any great leaps forward in I/O technology that solves that issue :)
That's definitely in the long plus column for the inboard.

Aside from cost, really one of the few negatives in the inboard list is low speed maneuverability. We have to pull into a challenging slip in pretty shallow water and back out with a rocky shoreline just feet off starboard. It can be tricky in an I/O especially with some wind. Not sure how it'll be with an inboard.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 10:38pm
If it's shallow enough to whack your prop, just walk it out.
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 1:03am
Is wakeboarding turning in to a fashion show was meant to be a ?. If I need to elaborate I will.
footinforever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote footinforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 3:04pm
Low speed control is easy to master with practice. Practice "docking" in an open area next to a buoy or someplace where you can't hurt the boat. After a little while you will learn to dock an inboard with greater ease than an I/O. If you have rocks like hollywood said walk it out..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic