NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why are Inboards more Expensive

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 7:57pm
Not sure if this adds anything to the thread...but, I purchased my 82SN 13 years ago for $6300. It was in very good mechanical condition, but a bit weathered from sitting in the sun most summers. I have gotten a lot of great enjoyment from the boat. My kids and wife have all learned to ski behind it. Sure, I have spent some money on the boat over this time, but nothing major. Most of the money has been in cosmetics. I see these old boats still bringing about the same money as they did 13 years ago. I cant think of very many boats that can claim that. How much would you pay for a twenty five year old Bayliner with an I/O?
A friend of mine had a very nice condition older I/O with a leaking transom gasket. He couldnt even find as mechanic to work on it. One told him to junk it! Motor and interior were in great condition.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2008 at 12:25am
Has anyone here gone from an inboard to an I/O? I can't imagine moving that direction. Impossible I say.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2008 at 1:42am
[QUOTE=The Dude] Has anyone here gone from an inboard to an I/O? QUOTE]

Inboard is now part of my DNA!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
69barri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69barri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2008 at 7:43am
All i know is that I grew up skiing behind a 1966 Wildcat, and I now own a 1969 Barracuda. I have barefooted/skied/wakeboarded behind countless boats. From brand new IO's to older outboard boats, even a 2008 Super Air Nautique, but I always come running back to the oldies.

The one exception to the IO rule is in a center console off-shore fishing boat, where the characteristics of trim and lower draft make it a clear choice when coupled with an efficient diesel power plant. My 37 foot Spectre center console will get about 4 miles to the gallon at 40 knots, when every other outboard powered boat is lucky to get 1.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2008 at 10:31am
I dont know what brainiac ever came up with 2 stroke outboards, I run them in a tank and get an oil slick that is the worst thing you ever would want to see and where does it end up?
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2008 at 11:35am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I dont know what brainiac ever came up with 2 stroke outboards, I run them in a tank and get an oil slick that is the worst thing you ever would want to see and where does it end up?

Almost twice the power to weight ratio. (you know - a power stroke every rev.) Eric, keep in mind that the first auto engines were two stroke and the first marine (inboards) were two stroke as well!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2008 at 10:33am
yeah, yeah Pete. I was using the oil slick as the example and while we are draining our lake im watching the run off and thinking to myself, 40 years of 2 stroke oil is washing down river, the edge and surroundings of the lake looks like Valdez. the oil from the first outboard run in the lake is still there probably......Im on a green world kick lately
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2008 at 9:24pm
QUOTE=eric lavine   Im on a green world kick lately

What - - you trading the Suburban in for a Prius??

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2008 at 8:58pm
I dont even fire the BBC suburban, i cant even give it away at 1800.00 and i put$1000.00 worth of rims and tires on it 6 months ago, ive been buzzing a little 1986 Porsche 944 back and forth. it gets close to 28 mpg.

NO PRIUS!!!!!!
newoldboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newoldboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2009 at 2:05am
I am very late to this discussion but I have to agree that wakeboarding has become a fashion show. I am 24, work 60 hrs aweek as a diesel mechanic, pay for a house, pay for an 07 ram with a cummins, and sink the rest of my cash in a 19 year old ski nautique, hows that for a tight budget. I love to wake board and would love to make money doing nothing but working out and wakeboarding but that lifestyle is nearly unattainable. Pro wakeboarders are very lucky people but it is the untalented rich kids that help drive up the prices so that the rest of us with a true love for the sport can barely afford it. I live in Fort Myers Fl where the Gator brand boards are made and would love to ride a local brand but I can't pay $800 for a board/binding combo. I guess the rest of us will have to build 19 year old ski boats to ride behind and buy last years boards from the discount websites because our daddys won't buy the new stuff for us. Don't hate on the wakeboarders, we're not all the same.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2009 at 11:21am
NOB - Some of us prefer the old boats because of the lack of bling!

Glad you have the right work ethic, it will pay off in the long run.

Ben Franklin
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2009 at 11:59am
Originally posted by newoldboat newoldboat wrote:

it is the untalented rich kids that help drive up the prices so that the rest of us with a true love for the sport can barely afford it.

We saw one high dollar boat with a boarder in tow yesterday. The guy riding stayed right behind the boat with the wrong posture. The rest were pulling tubes.

And OH to have a pic of the 'drop jaw' as they heard the pumpkin go by and Trey nailing trick after trick!!!

And if HW had been here...     
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2009 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

And OH to have a pic of the 'drop jaw' as they heard the pumpkin go by and Trey nailing trick after trick!!!

Greg, same thing happens when my little $6500, 24 year old puddle jumper goes ripping by with one of my boys footin through waves that most boarders shy away from.

My brother has an '07 X-1, and his buddy has a tricked out Malibu. Don't get me wrong, those are nice boats and I like riding in them. But the feeling that I get when I'm in or behind my boat is something special. And my wife agrees.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2009 at 1:23pm
Tull, I feel exactly the same way.
I like riding the brand new Malibu response my buddy has, but nothing compares to the feeling I get when I fire up my 20 year old engine!!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2009 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

And my wife agrees.

Ha, this is all that really matters!   

Tull, I had 6 'kids' on the boat with us yesterday...all under 30 and 4 of 6 were women. They migrated from the '79 to my ride and Trey was bustin' it! Sorry we didn't have the camera, but the wake was almost back to saturated foam heights with all of those pretty girls in the boat. It was almost as good as your Hooters pic!

2 or 3 real kids(always all guys) in a high dollar boat pulling kids on a tube....they stopped and watched!    

Old school isn't dead.    
1988 BFN-sold

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2009 at 1:16am
Good to see the pumpkin rocking on the dock again! Pretty rough out there today though. We were rolling in the Crownline instead of the BFN today.
Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2009 at 9:51am
Sorry we missed you. I think we let the younger folk wear us out friday and saturday.
1988 BFN-sold

tutor turtle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tutor turtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2009 at 12:22am
In a perfect world,one boat design would satisfy all needs. In the real world, specialized products are purpose-built to cater to those specific needs. Low production, high performance products cost more because so few people buy them, manufacturers cannot take advantage of economies of scale.
The demands of a tournament ski-boat are so far removed from an I/O or outboard (monster starting torque, unflappable stability under rapidly changing, high lateral stresses) a total re-design is required.

Like a Ford GT500, you want the neck snapping performance, prepare to open your wallet. Consider how well a 25-year-old CC hold it's value, two things must be true: exceptional build quality, high desirability. I love my 83 SN 2001, I bought it for $5.5K five years ago and invested another $4K, and no regrets. I get constant complements and offers to buy. There is no settling for less, once you've driven one.
I summer on a 200 acre pond, we sport five, count em', five inboards! Oh what a sweet sound O' summer! Singing lake pipes, hoots and hollers of joy as skiers and wake-boarders master new skills. (tubing for the timid).
In five years I've introduced dozens of newbies that have never skied or wake-boarded to a joy they never knew existed. Now they are addicted! All winter, I hear: "can't wait for summer at the lake and go riding" What price can you put on that love? Much of that joy is due to the superior performance of a purpose-built machine.

Hope this helps, to give you a taste, of what all fuss is about.
-
Now go out and grab some fun! Cheers.
Tutor turtle
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2009 at 2:23am
Well said Steve...I've owned 6 and have spent countless hours driving and sking 'em. Like you say the best part is sharing the sport.

Hope you are back on the water soon!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic