NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Damler Chrysler

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Damler Chrysler
    Posted: February-05-2007 at 9:16am
It sounds like another ones biting the dust, where i live there is talk of shutting down the Chrysler plant which employs thousands and drives Twinsburgs economy, It happened to LTV, it floods our economy with unemployed guys that are use to making $30.00 an hour or so and thery dont have back-up plans or other skills and wind up driving for Auto-zone in which there is nothing wrong with that.
Im going way out on a limb here and will probably piss someone off, Alot of my good friends are employed at Chrysler and were employed by LTV. and they are hard working guys (or they wouldnt be my friends) but there were alot of guys that robbed LTV blind and had guys punch in for them and not show and vica versa.
In a way I feel sorry and in a way I dont, Its a f-in shame   just my .02
"the things you own will start to own you"
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 9:39am
My .02 would have daggers flying all over this site, so I'll zip it, as I'm right with you on that Eric. By the way, what was LTV?
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 9:49am
sometimes the truth hurts Reid, LTV employed at one time 13,000 they were a steel manufacturer here in Cleveland.
Reid Im all for a man making a good living and he should be paid what he's worth. its the guys that took advantage of the situation and I truly believe the down fall of these large corporations is all tied to the employees, In desperate times you must take desperate measures. Another good example here in Cleveland the teachers are in the top 4% of income in the country... averege $38.00 per hour with 3 months off. you know nothing great comes from the inner city schools academically especially Cleveland school systems.
there is 2 directions you can go......and things are going in the wrong direction..sorry to say
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 10:08am
I hear you guys. I know exactly what you're talking about. A number of years ago, I was installing a new phone system at the Chrysler plant in Kenosha, WI. This was the original AMC plant prior to Chrysler buying them out. I could tell you stories about employees taking advantage of the employer but like you said, that could really start some flying daggers by people who refuse to admit those actions probably caused the downfall of the company in the first place. I'm not saying the employer is always right either, look at Enron!!! I think those situations are far fewer than the former though. More problems we'll solve in a couple weeks I'm sure when we're tweeking JBears ride!!!!

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 12:00pm
Eric, My jury's out on the whole teacher issue as they're paid peanuts down here, and while working in a mini-Cleveland environment. You couldn't pay me $100/hr to "attempt" to teach some of these kids in some of these areas.

I am confident however that all the guys on this website MUST be overpaid judging by the amount of time spend online. Or, all of our companies are headed in the direction of LTV as a result of our decreased productivity. Holy crap, I better get back to work.       
ReidP
1973 Mustang

nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 12:29pm
I would never admit to being overpaid

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 12:34pm
Yeah, you definitly gotta point on the $100.00 an hour, I wouldnt either, there letting these kids fly thorough school some of them not knowing how to even read, Its to the point to where the kids are controlling the system and unfortunatly the teachers have to deal with it and it turns into a babysitting role and thier distracted because of the kids
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 2:05pm
I am one of the guys that would normally be throwing daggers when people complain about UAW workers. But no this time. I goto work everyday, I am here all day to my job when they need me too. One of the perks of my job is some free time in between jobs. But I paid for that free time. I spent time as an aprentice learning my trade and going to school for my trade. I am one of the first people to say that the UAW needs to help the companies get rid of the dead beats that don't come to work everyday. The ones that abuse the systems that were put in place to make sure you kept your job in cases of real illness or family/personal problems.

The abusers need to be fired. That way the people that take their job seriously still have a job and a way to support their families.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 4:43pm
The unions have to work in the best interests for everyone in a way to also benefit the employer, they need to re-structure or eventually as it slowly happens with companies disolving so will the unions, at one time the unions were needed because of the abuse from companies in the 1930's, now its the other way around and these big decision makers say f-it will show em and move to more PROFITABLE countries along with the American dream.... just babbling and hate to see alot of good people lose jobs,
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 8:03pm
Babble away my friend!!!!!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 8:29pm
Eddie; I used to run the phone system for a large school district west of Cleveland in Parma, Ohio. You wanna see waste! You should see them school admin guys. Beat auto or steel workers every day. Way more money swallowed up at the admin building on crazy projects than what went to the teachers and students.

It is sad to see what has happened to some of our "backbone" industries up north. Most of it is due to greed, and I don't mean by the Unions. I have long been a Union member and it has done well by me. Unions have given benefits and protections to people like me that otherwise would have never gotten these things on my own. No company, especially now-a-days, is gonna "give" anything to its workers. The workers have to fight for and earn these things.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 8:41pm
I agree John. I was also a union member until I went into management so I know what you're talking about. I also believe the union protects the loafers like Eric and Reid attested to earlier. That part of it isn't right IMHO. I think there are people who take advantage of any system that is in place out there and that is what causes issues for everybody. Employers and employees alike. It just sucks. It's a cla$$ic example of just a few can ruin it for everybody. From either side of the fence.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 8:51pm
Greed and laziness is not confined to either side of the fence. Bad guys on either side hurt us all as you say. Guys like youself or ReidP have a much better chance to see both sides of the story than a guy like myself who was just a worker all his career.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 7:49am
Maybe the union members have to start participating more, and start thinking different,put incentives in place, weed out the guys with the im in the union you cant touch us(im only saying this is cause i have a brother in law with this attitude, he does Delphi work.....for now) instead of thinking protect us why dont you help us, there are many laws in place to help and even protect the worker in non union shops, times have changed and the last thing these big corps want to do is pull out, but they have no choice. It just seems like the unions never budge in times of desperation
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 11:21pm
I promised earlier to zip my trap on this subject. I've never had a problem at all with the original goal and purpose of the union(s). I've worked with many IBEW guys over the years, but I a$$ure you these guys didn't fall into the negative ranks that were discussed above. My main disagreements have always been in the philosophy of promoting on seniority as opposed to merit and performance, and the inability for the worker to interact as closely with management. Of course I run a non-union shop, but there is very little union activity at all in the wireless side of telecom. It has and still exists mainly on the wireline side. Which brings me to the next factor of the union's impact on competition, which Eric hit upon in terms of sending jobs overseas to lower priced markets. On the wireless side of telecom for example, the competition abounds with at least 6 cellphone companies to choose from, so they have to keep the operating costs down. Until recently, you got your choice of only ONE land line provider, and the same with your power companies. Regulated companies can support the union mainly because of this.

While jbear stated that Eddie and myself may have been in a position to better see both sides of the story, I unfortunately have always seen a somewhat biased view living and working in one of the least unionized states in the country. So I could really be off base. I used to back my opinions with the fact that NC has traditionally had one of the lower unemployment rates in the nation, which I quite possibly mis-credited the lack of union activity. Another fact I soon found out later was that NC also has/had the 3rd highest number of mobile homes in the country. Possibly a result of a large percentage of the people working but at the lower non-union wages, I don't know, but a large number of large companies seek to locate here. This makes me think about that thought provoking thread some time back about our government and two party system. Whether the union issue outcome is positive or negative, our people, or majority thereof, ultimately choose to be unionized or not. That makes it acceptable to me.       
ReidP
1973 Mustang

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2007 at 11:33pm
One thing I forgot to ask. Does the union also sometimes keep the cream from rising to the top, or at least from being recognized and rewarded and compensated for same? If a guy working for me stands out, he gets recognized and sees it in his wallet. If he's a slacker, he gets what he deserves with no wall to hide behind.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 12:32am
reidp, your close with that last post. The company (Ford in this case) used to give us a bonus for coming up with money or time saving ideas. All you used to have to do to recieve this bonus was come up with and idea to save time or money and explain how it would work. Then the company would do the research and see if the idea held water. If it did, and the idea was used you got paid.

Now the company wants us to come up with the idea, tell them how it should work, research how much time or money it will save, research how much money or time it will take to put the idea to work, and research to find out if everyone likes the idea. For all this work that you have to do on your own time, you get wow thanks. Not that thanks isn't something, but some of the ideas we used to get from the line workers to make their job easier all went away because of this new system. I am not talking about large bonuses, just some thing to show gratitude. The lose of the idea program at are plant has affected moral greatly. They feel the company doesn't want to hear from them anymore.

The slackers usually go unpunished and that affects moral also. I work with a guy that misses alot of work and it pisses me off something fierce.

Sorry big rant there, but to some it up the company lost a lot of great ideas. I know there were some not so great ideas, but atleast people used to try. Now they don't. Alot has to do with no cooperation from the company. There will always be a barried between union and management so long as there are managers that think they can't learn from people that work for them. Not all are like this but I work for half a dozen like this.

So Reidp, keep up the good work. Remember small jestures go along way.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 9:41am
Its simple economics, if your child gets straight A's and you give him $50.00 for every A, he is deserving of it, and then you have your other child who gets all F's and your wife insists that he also gets $50.00 per F. the kid who gets the F's thinking to himself, hell I dont even have to try and Mom's getting me the same money, why should i try, my mom is protecting me from the wrath of my dad. Now would you allow this in your home, I sure wouldnt because eventually I'm gonna go broke.
These arent isolated instances with these companies closing doors, as i speak my brother in law is being knocked down to 32 hours a week, because the company is struggling and i really dont believe they are lying about the struggling, at one time i may have thought they were lying about struggling.
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 9:55am
Wow! is this my Global Business Administration cla$$ or CCFAN? Thanks guys, now I'm not just wasting away my day on the site, i might actually be able to convince myself that im studying too...

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 2:19pm
Nate, this is sh*t that they dont teach you in school
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Nate, this is sh*t that they dont teach you in school

Roger that Eric. When I was a manager I wanted to award a union overachiever with a raise, but the union scale wouldn't allow that. I was able to get around that by promoting him to a senior tech. I, of course had to justify it to the company and the union and the guy got a nice deserving raise. At the next contract negotiation, two other guys were promoted to senior techs just because the two other union departments in the branch didn't have senior techs. According to the union, if one dept. had a senior tech, every dept. needed a senior tech. These techs weren't promoted by merit but purely seniority. How fair is that? Now, you can take it a step further and try to rationalize why the company ended up downsizing and eliminating jobs. Mine being one of them. I'm sure that this one instance didn't cause the downfall of the organization, but this one and how many others like it sure had to contribute to it. Had I stayed in the field as tech, I would still probably be employed by them seeing as when I left the union, I was number three in seniority and that seniority would have protected me. Because I was an overachiever and I felt that I could really do some good for the company and the dept. that I was a part of, I went into management. I got rewarded with a cut in pay (a fairly significant cut) because the union scales and tenure combined with OT were significantly higher than my supervisor salary range. I never said that I was really smart did I? Anyway, now I was managing people who were making more money than me and when things went well, they got the at-a-boys and when things didn't go so well, I got the at-a-boys (that is obviously a negative conotation). Could never quite figure that one out either. Anyway, this may seem like I'm trashing unions, but I'm really not at all. Just pointing out my experiences as a union member and then as a non-union member. It may also seem like being a manager is the worst place in the world to be. Not at all, in fact I prefer it. I was able to make numerous changes in the dept. that raised moral, customer sat. and employee sat. and I eventually received my just dues for my work. Without my previous experience in the union though, that never would have happened. I never forgot where my roots were.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 6:30pm
backfoot your one of the few that hasn't forgot where they came from. I work for a few bosses that came from the tools, and they still act like they are better then us. Not true though because the only reasons these guys have gone up the latter is BJ's and a$$ kissing. No brains, don't get me wrong we do have some great bosses where I work. They don't kiss a$$ or give bj's so they are stuck as a foreman.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2007 at 10:43pm
Backfoot: I think we musta been brothers in another life. I was Lead tech or In-Charge in my crew for the last 8 years of my career. Interviewed twice for mgmnt because I too thought I could do some good, such as teach new guys because our managers were all non-phone guys. But I had to turn it down because I was offered less (lots counting OT) than I was making. I told them what I had to have and got laughed at. Like I always told my partner, "we work the way we do 'cause of who we are, not just because we get paid the same as some of the other guys". We too had plenty of guys in the garage that were only there and recieving raises because of union bargining, not due to their efforts. But still, I feel as tho I did ok by being a union member.

john

ps: probably not brave enough, to be truthful, to do what guys like you or ReidP have done.
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2007 at 5:46pm
Is it time for a change? or do we let these big corps keep leaving? I cant think of any other reason why they keep shutting doors except for the fact of them losing money. Employees are the biggest expense of a company. next time your in a parking lot count the foriegn cars compared to domestics... you'll be surprised. Sure they build hondas here but the profits dont stay here
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2007 at 6:14pm
very interesting thread...hmmmmm being a 3rd generation local#33 union sheet metal worker im going to keep my mouth shut on this one.i will say this...just remember guys we all coose to be in the position we are in...thats it im done..im only a fourth year apprentice, actually just started my fourth year this past october..all trades are a five year program.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2007 at 6:17pm
eric. speaking of ltv, my neighbor was 5 yaers from retiring..would have gotten about 5500-6000 a month being retired, no receives about 1350 a month..needless to say, he works 40 hrs a week at medina city schools as matinence to pay the bills and possible have a chance to retire before he dies!..sick
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2007 at 9:12pm
Ryan, Some of my best friends down here in NC were born and raised in Medina, OH. Last names are Labadie and Wa$$el, but families have retired and moved south. Your neighbor might have known them.

Eric, I don't know if we could ever keep the big corps from leaving. The price of third world labor can't be a target. Maybe we can keep some companies w/o that option from going under however. US Airways asked for and got concessions from their unions and is getting back on track, which was/is big news for us in Charlotte as a hub.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2007 at 10:28pm
yes but also the companies need to remember hwo they got back on there feet once they are there. Union and company both need to be mindful when bargaining to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 7:55am
Ryan, gotta a few friends who worked for LTV and they dont say very much after the fact, I worked side by side with some of those guys on warranty work and the last time i was down there i just new it would only be a matter of time. i was told several times that i was making thier mechanics look bad and to slow down. The feeling I got down there was that the employees were calling the shots and nothing mattered. one guy stood by me with a broom in which he was in the Heavy equipment operaters union and was diagnosed with epilectic siezures 2 years earlier. He was no longer allowed to be on any equipment down there and for the last 2 years he was still at scale which was i believe $26.00 per hour. the bad thing is he did'nt even sweep.
I was never exposed to that type of environment untill that time.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2007 at 9:09am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Sure they build hondas here but the profits dont stay here

Eric, I've read statements like this often.
I fail to see what difference it makes. Honda, Toyota, Bertelsman, Zurich Insurance, whoever. If they are doing business here, they are paying workers here; they are paying social security here, they are paying taxes here.

Why would you think it makes any difference whether headquarters be foreign or domestic? The companies you are talking about are generally publicly traded. Profits go back to the shareholders, who could be anyone, anywhere in the world, regardless of where headquarters are located. Or, profits are made available as capital a$$ets for further expansions, growth, etc.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic