Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel sender info for 86 VDO Gauge

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
LennyBoat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LennyBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel sender info for 86 VDO Gauge
    Posted: May-15-2024 at 4:16am
Hi all,

Quick question: I'm replacing my fuel tank with a generic one in our 1986 BFN.
The fuel sender for this tank comes in 2 versions:
10-180 Ohm
240-30 Ohm

As far as I know, the 240-30 Ohm is the 'American Standard'.
Am I correct to assume this is the correct one?

Kind regards,
Lenny
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2024 at 6:55am
Assuming that you still have your original tank and gauge it's pretty easy to determine what you have.

Check the resistance of the original sending unit that you have while the tank is empty. 

The American and European standards are Bass Ackwards from each other

If you have the European 10-180 sending unit, empty will read down around 10 ohms  So as level goes up resistance goes up.

If you have the 240-33 sending unit, empty is around 240 ohms and as level goes up resistance goes down.

You'd think that you'd have the American standard gauges in the boat, coming from the US, but it's worth a quick check Wink
LennyBoat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LennyBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2024 at 8:14am
Hi Keno,

Thank you for the information.
The boat came with a carburettor and an LPG tank. So we had to choose to either buy a fuel tank or an evaporator.
We went with the fuel tank, the evaporator will probably follow in a later stadium depending on how thirsty the 454 is and the evolution of the gas prices Big smile (now 7USD/Gallon, peaked at almost 10USD/Gallon in 2022).
I'll take my chances with the 240-30 Ohm then!

Many thanks,
Lenny
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic