NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

loud exhaust

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: loud exhaust
    Posted: March-08-2011 at 5:06pm
I love the sound of my '63, and of inboards in general. It may be a little engine, but it definitely can be heard. I'd never muffle a boat that was made un-muffled almost 50 years ago.

I have a jet boat with 454. It's loud, sounds great, but .... I'm getting old because I had decided to quiet it down a bit. I just began to feel like I was bothering people with it, both in the boat and on shore. Now I think I'm going to sell it if I ever find the CC I'm looking for, but I definitely get both schools of thought.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2011 at 10:31pm
This was about 7:30 am in the St. Marys River about 3o degrees in january
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2011 at 10:29pm
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
spot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2011 at 6:29pm
My 1973 came with straight 3" dual exhausts, and I kept it that way. No way I can compare to Holman Moody (arguably the BEST sound with their unique manifolds) but still echos off the trees about dusk. Keep em original and save the memories!! spot (graham white)
Number 2 White Lake Ski Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2011 at 10:25am
Kyle - If you want a quiet exhaust, put a 'Fresh Air Exhaust' attachment on. I have one of these - basically there is no exhaust sound at all beyond what comes thru floor from the hose in the bilge.   Quite the opposite point of view from most guys here.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2011 at 1:45am
Originally posted by schultz schultz wrote:

Forgive me 75 "ski Tique" but I owned a skier and I may be wrong but I doubt it,, isn't the 75 still called a skier, didn't make the switch till 76,,

You are correct. When I bought my boat (apr 2004) half the paper work and the seller said it was a 75 and one piece of paper work said 76. I thought I had a 75 and since this site was pretty young there were neither the references nor the expertise to know otherwise and I signed up with the "75" moniker, only to find out a while later I had a 76. Oh well.

Welcome, tho I see you signed up some time ago. As far as it appearing that some of us missed the point of your post, as said above, we didnt really. If you've been lurking these past couple years, you must realize a lot of us drift off topic pretty quickly sometimes. Ooooo look something shiney....I'll be right back.
schultz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schultz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2011 at 12:38am
Forgive me 75 "ski Tique" but I owned a skier and I may be wrong but I doubt it,, isn't the 75 still called a skier, didn't make the switch till 76,,
schultz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schultz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2011 at 12:09am
Over my head, thank you for the welcome, that's good advice I appreciate all the input guys, thank you ! Akora 86 silver yes that was original concern that something was wrong.... thanks again !
ky82sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ky82sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 10:52pm
great video clip. thats what i call a smooth or soft loud.
1982 ski nautique
1966 Al Tyll Skier
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by akora12 akora12 wrote:

Judging from Kyle's OP, I don't think he's opposed by a loud exhaust, rather concerned there could be a problem since its louder than normal. I'm sure the skier in his avatar was plenty loud.

But maybe that's why he sold the skier?
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
akora12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akora12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 7:22pm
Judging from Kyle's OP, I don't think he's opposed by a loud exhaust, rather concerned there could be a problem since its louder than normal. I'm sure the skier in his avatar was plenty loud.
'86 Silver Nautique 2001
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 6:17pm
Kyle:

I looked into this because I am not one in the "Loud crowd". They need to work out the application on 2000+ Nautiques but it may be a great option for you. These guys are looking for Correct Craft owners to work on some prototypes......... You may want to contact them.

Fresh Air Exhaust
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 5:57pm
schultz- you might be able to find someone on the site who has their muffler sitting in their garage and willing to give it to you for free/cheap.

We all agree with your right to have a quiet exhaust system, we just have the right to disagree about quiet being "best".
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 3:46pm
I must agree, my 96' may have the standard 351, but the sound that it produces is awesome, either in the drivers seat or behind it!
levin
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 1:48pm
It certainly is a hot topic on CCF.

Muffled or not, a v8 inboard has an unmistakable sound. Those OB's just can't replicate the sound of a real ski boat.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 9:02am
Kyle, welcome to the site, There is a lot of good information here. Boat exhaust is a topic of ongoing conversation and you gave an excuse to keep it going. People post here for a variety of reasons beyond just fixing stuff. Take the info that you need, and indulge us for the rest. You may even learn to enjoy the running commentary.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 4:09am
Cool video, Larry. That was a great morning! An inboard has a certain unmistakable tone to it, no matter how faint or far away, you can tell it's an inboard.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 1:54am
This site might help finding a replacement muffler.............. A site friend and good folks!

Muffler for SNOB

Steve
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 1:37am
LOL Gary...

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 1:11am
Originally posted by schultz schultz wrote:

seems as though he's the only one who read and understood the question correctly

Oh they all read and understood correctly
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
schultz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schultz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 12:35am
Thanks to akora12, 86 silver for the good info seems as though he's the only one who read and understood the question correctly, thanks again !
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2011 at 9:50pm
There is loud sounding. There is good tone and then there is just plain irritating. There are a bunch of offshore cigarette boat guys that ride up and down our narrow lake channel. Shakes the coffee out of your cup...... which is cool to the 10 year olds and irritating to everyone else. Loud does not always equal good.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2011 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by thatdude596 thatdude596 wrote:

lthese boats simply dont have the hp or exhaust system to sound loud and good at the same time but thats my opinion.

Clearly youre not riding in the right boats.

I think this sounds ok. (The chase boat, the second one to accelerate) The tow boat sounds pretty good too, but the chase boat is drowning it out (only because its closer to the camera) But you get a feel for the tow boat too, at the end.

akora12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akora12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2011 at 8:00pm
Getting back to the OP, have you noticed a surplus of water in the bildge that would indicate a hole or crack in the exhaust? You might check the condition of the baffle(s) inside the muffler.
'86 Silver Nautique 2001
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2011 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by 65 'cuda 65 'cuda wrote:

I think most would agree our '73 sounds loud and very nice!

It sounds awesome from the tow rope!

The sound of the 73 Skier was one of the things that stuck with me as a selling point. There is nothing like the sound of the exhaust ports slowly raising out of the water as you get on a plane. I get comments nearly every time I go out about how good it sounds. If you want conversation go get a coffee.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2011 at 4:12pm
I think most would agree our '73 sounds loud and very nice!

It sounds awesome from the tow rope!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2011 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by thatdude596 thatdude596 wrote:

lthese boats simply dont have the hp or exhaust system to sound loud and good at the same time but thats my opinion.

Clearly youre not riding in the right boats.
thatdude596 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thatdude596 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2011 at 3:38pm
loud is a touchy subject with motors. i have never heard a ski nautique that sounds good in the boat. i wanted loud and clean, but after riding in a nautique this summer with straight pipe its horrible. its in no way shape or form a muscle rumble, but a loud drone. on the other hand loud sounds great on offshore racing boats. these boats are cranking serious hp, and have the muscle/drag car cam lope to them. theres a huge difference. these boats simply dont have the hp or exhaust system to sound loud and good at the same time but thats my opinion.plus its nice to hear the guy next to you in a ski boat since were not racing
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2011 at 12:16pm
If you guys like loud, you should hear my separator with straight H/M manifolds out back high on transom [out of water] A little boy came up to me on the beach last year and said, his mommy dont like me cause she thinks im a show off because my boats to loud. he said thats ok sir i like it its cool! so i gave him a ride! that didnt work out to well for his dad, he gave me the ok to do it.
blackbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2011 at 11:51am
Mufflers burned out.
And my is the same as your, louder than others .
I with jbear, I LIKE it that way!
Be Cool !! Be Safe !!
It all about Having FUN!!!!
Dee Dee's 82 SN 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic