NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Back with a new project....

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2018 at 5:28pm
I installed mine a few years ago, wouldn't be without one now, but then again I'm in NH, not TX! I've read about cores leaking, there's nothing else to go wrong with them, I suppose a blower could fail but it's not like we're putting many hours on them. I'd suspect that where you find a leaking core you find a poorly winterized boat, but I'm just guessing that, no firsthand experience.

Trey, with all your disassembly work I think next time the first thing to disconnect might be the battery ground!   
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2018 at 3:39pm
I have only had one for 5 years now,if it wasn't on it when I bought it I doubt I would add one because I wouldn't know any different. I have to say it is nice when your heading in when the sun's going down and your still soaking wet. I think when they have trouble it's the core that leaks,hoses seem to last quite awhile.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2018 at 2:09pm
Also,

Quick Question: This is the first boat I've had with a heater... Are they prone to leaking? Only reason I ask is I've never had one and not really sure I care all that much. We are in TX after all.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2018 at 1:59pm
Ended up with some free time this weekend at the lake and without the other half/kids so me and a buddy worked on the boat.

Funny: We were opening the hatch and I accidentally bumped the starter with my buddy standing right behind it. It actually fired (immediately oddly enough) and scared him to death since he was right by the exhaust and not expecting it. It was just for a split second so it didn't sound awful but it did push the rod farther out of the oil pan.   

Took the manifolds, hoses, throttle cable, starter, etc off the motor. Also pulled the ballasts, and dividers. the factory tanks will not be going back in. Labeled and took plenty of pictures so I can hopefully go back in fairly easy.

I am beginning to wonder how complete i can keep it from here on out before it will squeeze out of there... I know the FCC needs to come off as it sticks pretty far out there. I'll need to seperate the Trans and V-Drive and slide them forward a bit.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2018 at 3:35pm
Thanks for the back seat tip.... Just did that and charged both. Ready for this stupid kitchen to be done so I can start working on this sucker.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2018 at 2:17pm
I wish it was running.. I actually haven't touched it at all. I was going to vacuum it out and unhook the batteries this weekend but only got the housekeeping portion done.

I'm working on a kitchen remodel so the boat comes next in a few months. I've got everything worked out with a somewhat local motor builder just need to send my money for a long block and get some time set aside for the swap. It's killing me to not work on it but I made a promise to the lady in charge.

Thanks for the tip, I'm headed back this weekend or next and will get it sorted out.

s_kelley2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s_kelley2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2018 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Treybizttu Treybizttu wrote:

Well,

I forgot to unhook the batteries last trip to the lake and now they are both aparently dead. From what I gather my only access to the hatch is to remove the rear seat and un-do the pin holding down the hatch. What fun...

Did you end up doing a motor swap and get her running already?

The back seat rest lifts straight up, you shouldn't have to mess with the seat base. You may or may not have the 2 dividers behind the seat. If you have them, slide them out of the way and you should be able to access at least one of your batteries to charge it. Hopefully you don't have to remove the pin. Mine took quite a bit of "persuasion" to get out when I was having issues the lift actuator relays.

1999 Python Super Sport
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2018 at 1:49pm
Well,

I forgot to unhook the batteries last trip to the lake and now they are both aparently dead. From what I gather my only access to the hatch is to remove the rear seat and un-do the pin holding down the hatch. What fun...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2018 at 11:01pm
Oh I for sure want to go rolller if it works with the factory ECM and what not. From what I gather the PCM 502 was flat tapet from the factory.

Edit: I could be wrong on it being flat tapet of course. Haven’t pulled it apart yet.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2018 at 1:25pm
If it were me I’d spend the extra $ and go with a roller.

Found this in a Chevy forum after a search...

“Putting a flat tappet into a factory roller block is dirt simple. Shove in the flat tappet cam and lifters, remove the stock roller cam retaining plate, install a standard flat tappet timing chain set (which is different from the roller cam chain set) and you're good to go. Done it several times. Most recently last month on a super-cheap 350 that's going in my wife's 92 Camaro "fun car."

The flat tappet lifters will look kinda "funny" sitting WAY down in those extra-tall roller lifter bores, but they'll work just peachy. In fact, the factory often used flat tappet cams in roller block castings for truck and boat engines. This is exactly how they did it.

Oh yeah...... you'll need flat-tappet length pushrods, too (~7.8"). Roller pushrods are shorter than those used on flat tappet cams in a SBC. No biggie. A decent cheap set can be had for just about nothing. A good set for about twice almost nothing.”
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2018 at 1:22pm
Gen 6 502 was roller, should include the pythons. It matters, stay roller.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2018 at 1:01pm
Doing my research on the 502 has lead me to something... Almost every 502 long or short block I’ve found is roller cam but from what I gather these came factory flat Tappet. The only actual python rebuild I’ve found was on here by James and he went with a roller cam but I haven’t found anything in his posts specific to the cam. Basically I’m wondering if it really matters
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2018 at 8:21pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2018 at 8:16pm

Still shines up pretty good.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2018 at 8:14pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

I kind of thought the same thing. But it was 20 years ago, and I was not the guy putting them on the boat, so . . .

BKH

And sounded like he had seen them before. 😃. Who knows, they look like they’ve been on there since new or close to it
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 9:10pm
I kind of thought the same thing. But it was 20 years ago, and I was not the guy putting them on the boat, so . . .

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 8:08pm
I know I'm not supposed to link to the "other" website but I like these graphics. (Page 7 after the tribal... No tribal, ever).

https://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/forum/nautique-topics/show-us-your-nautique/27473-1997-super-sport-red-black-air-work-in-progress-lots-of-photos/page7
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by s_kelley2000 s_kelley2000 wrote:

With all due respect to Woody, I think this is a very good recreation of the 98 Air Nautique graphic updated to add Super. There is also a similar version for the 99 Pro Air . My apologies if they ever offered this graphic for Super Airs but if so I have never seen it. I believe the correct 99 Super Air graphics are NLA unfortunately.

I believe you are correct. If I could fiind the font or art I can produce them but that search is proving fruitless. I've actually seen a set of letters from a 211/236 I believe on this vintage of a super air. They looked great as it wasn't a super over the top graphics.. IE. not a Bylerly or the Skull/Cross Bones. (Don't get me wrong I like those too just not on this boat).

s_kelley2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s_kelley2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 7:48pm
With all due respect to Woody, I think this is a very good recreation of the 98 Air Nautique graphic updated to add Super. There is also a similar version for the 99 Pro Air . My apologies if they ever offered this graphic for Super Airs but if so I have never seen it. I believe the correct 99 Super Air graphics are NLA unfortunately.
1999 Python Super Sport
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Originally posted by woodyelc woodyelc wrote:

Those decal are factory installed. Saw plenty coming thru Southeast and have had the pleasure of installing some.

Interesting. Have seen many Air Nautque with that design, but that would be the first Super Air. Got to believe the guys that were there.

BKH

This is actually the first set I had seen on a Super Air. I've noticed quite a few on the DD boats.

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by woodyelc woodyelc wrote:

Those decal are factory installed. Saw plenty coming thru Southeast and have had the pleasure of installing some.

Interesting. Have seen many Air Nautque with that design, but that would be the first Super Air. Got to believe the guys that were there.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 6:17pm
woodyelc
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 5:45pm
Mobile gantry's tend to be less rugged than they look at times, figure you'd want one that is rated for twice what you expect to lift with it. You can build an I-beam frame for relatively short money, hang a hoist on a trolley, really versatile as you can lift and roll the load in a straight line. Might have to pour a pair of reinforced square slabs under the uprights depending on what kind of slab you have there now. Can't move it but very useful.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Really looks nice! I test drove a '99 Python Sport back when I was looking and the sound was awesome, cool factor as well, and needless to say it pulled hard out of the hole and buried the Airguides. That's going to be a great boat for you.

Overhead crane - meaning beam and roller with a chain hoist? Something else?

On the crane I haven't decided yet. I''ve looked at a few some what mobile gantry cranes on the local Craigslist. We could use it for other things at the ranch so one of those might come in handy. My boat barn was also built with the intention of a second story that never happened so it has gigantic ceiling joists. I might be able to hang a winch from there. I've used plenty of cherry pickers in the past but looking at different options this time.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 4:31pm
Really looks nice! I test drove a '99 Python Sport back when I was looking and the sound was awesome, cool factor as well, and needless to say it pulled hard out of the hole and buried the Airguides. That's going to be a great boat for you.

Overhead crane - meaning beam and roller with a chain hoist? Something else?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2018 at 2:21pm
I'm still trying to understand the differences between the later model BBC motors and shopping for an over head crane.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2018 at 6:46pm
Oddly enough I love the purple. I'm going to pull all of the decals and do something different. I can't seem to find the 99 decals however. I can print whatever so it would be nice if I could track down the art.
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2018 at 11:34pm
Love the purple. Very sharp boat !!
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
sport1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sport1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2018 at 4:16pm
Looks to be in fine condition. Purple has never been my favorite, but I'm sure you'll make it work! Nothing better than a good buffing and new stickers. Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic