Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5768
Printed Date: May-21-2024 at 6:01am

Topic: Prop Repairs - 540 Final Results
Posted By: Nautique2001
Subject: Prop Repairs - 540 Final Results
Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 11:53am
We stopped at a prop sales and repair booth. This place http://www.accutechmarine.com/ - Accutechmarine looks like the place to send props too. Their technology to tune props is top-notch. Take a look at their website. I think Tim was pretty impressed as well. They're willing to work out a special prop repair rate with CCF.com. I need to get an understanding of how many people would be interested in shipping their damaged props to them. ACME isn't an issue for them. I'm shipping my props to them this week. It will be a two week turn around this time of year. Would anyone else be interested?

Ken

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1052&sort=&pagenum=4&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - Nautique 2001

Replies:
Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 11:55am
The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) is a worldwide federation of national standards bodies. This organization has produced 'ISO-484' that defines the standards of manufacturing tolerances for marine propellers. AccuTech technicians use this standard to inspect propellers and provides ISO compliance which gives you quality workmanship and peace of mind.

ISO-484 is catagorized as follows:

S Very High Accuracy    
    I High Accuracy    
    II Medium Accuracy    
    III Wide Tolerances   

Traditionally, cla$$es 'S' and 'I' were only used on special vessels due to the extreme accuracy and precision. However, Prop Scan has made these cla$$es available to all, providing economical resolution to everyone's propeller problems.

A Cla$$ of its Own:   Due to Prop Scan's high levels of accuracy and repeatability it is now possible to repair a propeller to an accuracy level that is twice the accuracy of Cla$$ S. This cla$$ification is known as Cla$$ O.

©2007 AccuTech Marine Propeller, Inc. All Rights Reserved. (877) 515-7767

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1052&sort=&pagenum=4&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - Nautique 2001

Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 11:58am
Interesting info:

“Pitch blocks are inaccurate,” says Kindberg. “We do not use them. We freehand everything, using the computer as a guideline. We only work the areas that need it, so we don’t put stress on the whole prop. The potential damage is lessened and the accuracy we can achieve gives us much higher tolerances. We work to ISO (International Organization for Standardization) tolerances. There is a standard for the repair of boat props. Our equipment measures down to 1/1000 of an inch. We match prop blades to within 50/1000 of an inch of each other.”

-------------

Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 12:22pm
.050" is actually a pretty wide tolerance look at it this way
.0625" is 1/16".   From a constuction stand point that's pretty a close tolerance, but from a machining standpoint that's loose as a goose.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 1:01pm
The way I read it, .050" would be the full spec width, so the tolerance is really +/-.025". Not sure which spec level that quote was referring to, as Accutech is able to adhere to several ISO standards (depending on how much you want to pay).

In hearing them speak, their methods are very impressive. They actually take multiple sweeps (6 I think) of the working portion of each blade and measure the accuracy of the pitch. Here's a pic that is similar to the prop they had marked up at the boat show (excuse my poor drawing):

Each sweep contains >180 data points that are checked to verify pitch accuracy. This allows them to see variances within a blade, as well as compare each blade to the others. I do not believe that any manufacturers are verifying all their props to this degree. He explained that its not uncommon to see variations on new props- even CNC ones like Acme.

Like Ken said, they still do the repairs by hand with a hammer- but they do not use pitch blocks. After each successive round of tuning, the prop is re-evaluated by their machine. A tuned prop will see improvements in fuel economy as well as performance.

They do baseline measurements for free, and full documentation of all the tuning is provided to the customer (and kept on record)with their repair and tuning services.

We spoke to several prop tuning shops at the show, and Accutech impressed me with their methodology and knowledge. I certainly wouldnt hesitate to send my damaged prop to them, and would also like for them to at least baseline the rest. If we were to receive a discount through this site, the cost would only be marginally more than a standard prop repair service. I think he said the normal charge for an ISO Cla$$ I tune/repair on a 13" diameter prop is ~$170.

Edit: there is a good interactive example of the scan data on their website: http://www.accutechmarine.com/?cs=services&bd=interactive&mu=te - Accutech

-------------

Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 1:33pm
you can do the same thing with any CMM machine by measuring the surface profile of each blade and comparing them to each other. Just because they throw out big words like ISO doesn't mean sh*t, ISO standards are old as dirt and is the standards used in Europe for over 40 yrs. It's easy to be impressed if your un-informed about standards, What is DIN, ASME, ASTM?

again if you think +/- .025" is close it's not, bearing clearance on a crank are around .002"-.005"..., your coupling spec is .003" max. But a range of almost an 1/8" is crap. within .050" means +/-.050" not +/-.025" so you have a window of .100"

I think I paid about 50-75 bucks at Delaware prop to have mine repitched to a 13 x 14

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 1:44pm
I see your point, but bearing clearance and prop tuning is an apples to oranges comparison. We're not talking manufacturing tolerances, as they are still using hammers to bend the blades. ISO may not be a brand new standard, but at least its a good measuring stick.

They use a more systematic approach than other prop tuners, and can even improve on brand new props. If we can get a discount, their services wont cost much more than the other shops who use pitch blocks and eyeball it. Think they can do better than .050"?

-------------

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 1:46pm
Repairing and adding cup to my ACME 3 blade by ACME was 125.00 including return shipping.

Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 1:49pm
The Accutech guy mentioned a 20% site discount for us, so that would put us in the same ballpark.

Bill Weeks told me that Acme repairs their props just like (pretty much) everyone else- using pitch blocks.

-------------

Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 1:55pm
Old Timmy's a bargain hunter just hasn't found any, only high priced stuff with a big margin to lower the price and still make a pretty good penny.

ISO isn't any better than any other measuring stick, ANSE, ASME ASTM or any foreign DIN, ISO or Jap standard just someone else writing it and selling books. Again It's easy to impress the un-informed but reallt hard to bullsh*t someone that all ready knows and use the different standards, they're all basicly the same.

as far as pitch blocks to hammers goes, guess I would rather have the load spread over a larger area producing less stress than a smaller area concentration producing higher stress'. Again un-informed on what's good and what's not.

-------------

Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 2:02pm
TRBenj, you are wasting your time,he knows all and tells all,too bad he can't spell. He was sick on that day.Short words ,most with 4 letters.
Call me about the Hi Tek deal,Allen will only do,polished or paint......boat dr

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 2:09pm
spending $1400.00 to get maybe 10 hp is worth it? Bunch of dump a$$' if you ask me. then again you do like cheap stamp roller rockers too. What a waiste Doc but your always good at being the punch line of a joke.

-------------

Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 2:17pm
If they can make documented improvements in pitch accuracy on a prop, is the standard they choose to cite really important? Accutech claimed that Acme is not ISO I compliant- does that change things?

The reason we chose to share this info with everyone is to hear different perspectives. Their presentation impressed me, and I can usually see right through a salesman's BS. The guy we spoke to was very knowledgable when it comes to repairing props- the guys at the other prop repair booths were clowns. Then again, Im not an expert mechanical guy- so if there are discrepancies in their sales pitch, Im hoping someone here will point them out. Check out their website and see what they are all about. I havent sent my prop to them... yet.

As far as pitch blocks go, dont they require the use of hammers as well? Seems a computer measured model would give a better indication of where a bent prop should be struck than a tech trying to eyeball it.

-------------

Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 2:28pm
I would think that the tech is measuring before they hit it and the machine isn't going to locate the tech's hammer before he strikes so your back to the skill of the tech, now if the CMM is measuring the surface profile then you have a machine going back and doing the hammering then it's going to be better, but just because you have readout doesn't mean sh*t. Again back to informed vs. uninformed and a 1/16" isn't close enough for machined parts, cast that's pretty good but then you usually machine the casting in critical areas though.

-------------

Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 2:44pm
Q: If I damage my Acme Propeller, how easy will it be to have it repaired?
A: No problem. In the same way that technological advances in the automotive industry have brought about changes in service for automobiles, Acme Propellers are somewhat new to the propeller repair industry. Even though Acme Propellers have a unique look, there is really no difference in the way they are repaired. As can be expected, it is not possible to return an Acme Propeller to perfectly new condition, because this would require maintaining tolerances of plus or minus the thickness of a human hair. However, in most cases, it is easier to repair an Acme Propeller, because of the accuracy and consistency built into the propellers and pitch blocks from the start. Propeller blade thicknesses, for example, are consistent and virtually identical to one another.

ACME propeller clip from FAQ section.

A human hair is about .003"-.005" and you want someone that is going to get it within .050" or over ten times worse than it came from the factory, Not me.

-------------

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 2:47pm
I only sent mine to ACME because I wanted that warm-fuzzy of having the OEM re-do the prop. The address I sent it to is not ACME's address so it's probably done 3rd party anyway. I'd say with the discount, these prop scan guys are definatley worth a try. At 170.00, however, I'd be leaning towards a new prop. I'm all for making these guys the exclusive prop-stop for CCFans if they agree to that discount for sure.

Balancing is also a big concern with ski boat props, especially 3 bladers, just for the sake of discussion.

Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 2:57pm
balance is a key for sure, on the FAQ page they list two sources for the pitch block for the ACME props. Personally don't really see an advantage to hand hammering vs pitch block hammer. I would rather them be put in a forging type press to distrubute the load over a wider area.

-------------

Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 3:30pm
I'm not familiar with fancy terms myself. We we're looking at it from a ISO stand point, we actually got into the computer read-outs of before and after repairs. This place actually computer reads all the new props they sell out of a box. It shows if any part of the blades pitch is off to the smallest cuchi hair. They make the proper adjustments and print a before and after computer read-out to show the customer the results. IMO, if a prop repair company can show you the actual results of the repair on paper, that's great. There's a little more science in their repairs, versus other companies. $170 to feel good with a finely tuned prop isn't bad. $136 if we get a group order discount. I'll give them a try and let you guys know.

Ken

-------------

Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 3:37pm
79, once again if you only knew what the other members were saying about you and the rants you go or the sad advice you give,oh well...
As far a exhaust goes,i think you are the owner of those "quality Alm. aftermarket things" stamped rockers allow me to buy those Hi Teks,30 hp increase and substantial weight loss.
No body cares what your thoughts on this propeller issue are,but then again your advice is cheap,and you get what you pay for.
how much did you pay for the cheap Alm. things you keep bragging about.
did you design the AccuTech or do some of the prototypes,with as much info as you have on the process I know you were involved,NOT
Humm a little harder it feels good as long as i keep my eyes closed.........boat dr

your spelling ain't gittin no better.....

-------------
boat dr

Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 4:17pm
Ken that's the selling point and it's a good one as long as it's maped to your prop and not doctored electronicly to look good.

They are just using a modified CMM device and software to give you a print out to take home. Which is great info and shows the time they take. Looked at the website a little seem all right.

My take is that the tolerance spec quoted was off a little .050" is alot and then you compare ACME's spec and also the standards deal, there's atleast three different standards that would apply too almost everything, gears, bearings, splines. pressure vessels and so on. Props may or maynot fall into that catagory so the ISO deal just narrows the tolerances. as far as the ACME's they excede the tightest spec cla$$ from the factory. Some are just slow when your messing with them. Never stated that they did crappy work ISO and .050" doesn't impress me, have a litttle on the job training about manufacturing and design so it helps to understand what they are saying and not get googled eyed about it.

OH DOC I can send you a picture of my PURDUE degree in CIMT if you want. that's Computer Integrated Manufacturing Technology ( CIMT ) I can also design a cell to automate the process too but that takes deep pockets. Guess that's what's holding back the hy-tek dealer deal too.

-------------

Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 4:25pm
Im not sure where the .050" tolerance that was quoted came from. The ISO standard that they reference is ISO 484/2 and is specific to marine propellor accuracy.

Ive been a huge proponent of Acme, but Accutech claimed that they were not ISO 484/2 Cla$$ I compliant. Again, not sure if that means anything or not- I dont have a mechanical degree.

-------------

Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

Interesting info:

" There is a standard for the repair of boat props. Our equipment measures down to 1/1000 of an inch. We match prop blades to within 50/1000 of an inch of each other.”

who is he quoting? Accutech?    50/1000 = .050"   1/1000 = .001"

and I doubt that the ISO # quoted is the only standard that would apply to props. What the actual numbers are is what's important not who's standard there using.

-------------

Posted By: 87BFN owner
Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 5:55pm
how much do guys here usually pay to have a prop repaired? I have never paid more then $75 and that was a 4 blade, my 3 blade is usually about $60.

-------------
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/buckethead1236/Barefooter6-10-09002.jpg" rel="nofollow - MY 87BFN

Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 6:06pm
I copied and pasted the information from Accutech, Chris.

Ken

-------------

Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 6:08pm
I copied and pasted the information from Accutech, Chris.

Ken

-------------

Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 6:09pm
BTW, I'm going to stop by their shop on Wednesday. I'm going to ask to see how they measure the prop information on the computer, starting with my 540.

Ken

-------------

Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 6:31pm
Jim, the same people you bought the shaft from, General Propeller,does all my prop work.
Based on damage and time,50.00 is the norm.
They also have a computer scan service,They have offered the service for several years.Joel say's it is used mostly for multi-engine aplications,so all the props are raked and pitched the same.........boat dr

-------------
boat dr

Posted By: Darrel
Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 7:39pm
$50?? $75?? in So Cal, land of almost everything is more expensive, prop repair is always north of $120.

Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 7:46pm
I believe the other 2 repair shops at the Boston show were quoting ~$120 as well.

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 9:18pm
place called sante marine in cleveland ohio. will repair nibral props for 80.oo...i have to send out my 4 blade 422 and might send out my 3 blade, has a few small small dings..no problems from it thoguh so i will prob. hold off on that one until it get really tweaked

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: February-19-2007 at 11:45pm
Ryan: Us older skiers have been using Sante for a great number of years. Can't beat their service, experiance or price. They actually care about what they are doing and know how much that prop means to the owner.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Date Posted: February-21-2007 at 1:52pm
I just dropped my ACME 540 off at Accutechmarine. I'm amazed with the computer equipment they have there. I was able to see on the computer how accurate my 540 is. Besides the minor dings, it has a slight bump in one of the blades. That's going to be corrected. I expect to have my prop back in four weeks. 20% discount for CCF members who send their props in.

Ken

-------------

Date Posted: February-21-2007 at 1:55pm
Good work Ken. I have a few questions on how they add cup, but Ill probably bring my 470 up to them to be repaired. Ive got a bunch of other ones I might as well have baselined too (since its free).

-------------

Date Posted: February-21-2007 at 1:58pm
4 weeks? in winter? interesting.

Date Posted: February-21-2007 at 2:04pm
You should see all the props inside this shop!!! Inboards, outboards, I/O's, lobster boats. They're pretty popular in the northeast.

Ken

-------------

Date Posted: February-21-2007 at 2:09pm
I spoke to Larry, the owner today. He took the time to explain the workings of prop and how he was going to repair it. Excellent customer service.

See magazine article:

But Larry Kindberg of AccuTech Marine Propeller Inc., in North Hampton, New Hampshire, says there’s a third aspect to consider, one that’s just as crucial as   science and art. “You have to talk to the customer,” says Kindberg, who owns and operates one of the most successful computerized prop repair shops in the North-east. “As much as we can, we need to know the boat’s history, the specifics of the problem with the prop, what kind of vibration the customer is feeling, when it began, fuel consumption, everything.”

-------------

Date Posted: February-21-2007 at 2:12pm
scan and post the readout Ken. It woul be nice to checkout

-------------

Posted By: 2fat2ski
Date Posted: February-21-2007 at 2:37pm
Sante returns all the props I send to him in 1 week..and thats in the middle of the summer!! Over 10 years, I have sent all of my prop work to Al and NEVER had a customer complaint. If I'm in a super rush, I GLADLY pay the extra nominal fee and I get it back by the end of the week. I wish you all had a great prop repair facility close to you like I have with Sante Marine. I'll never switch. My loyalty is with Al and his experienced staff.

-------------
Certified Correct Craft and PCM technician

Date Posted: February-21-2007 at 3:21pm
Sounds like you have a great place to send your prop, 2fat2ski. It's nice to network our resources and success stories. The more options, the better!!

Chris, I'll post a copy of the before and after computer read-outs. Pretty interesting stuff.

Ken

-------------

Date Posted: March-26-2007 at 9:01am
Ken, any update?

I dropped my prop off at Accutech this weekend. He will be reparing the tip damage as well as adding cup for the same price ($130) which is the same as Acme's quote for the same work. Larry actually scanned my prop while I was there- with the exception of the tip damage (which was limited to the outermost scan), my prop looked very good.

I asked him about the Acme's he has seen that dont meet the ISO I standard, as discussed before. He said that while Acme's machining programs obviously dont vary from prop to prop, CNC machines are very sensitive to calibration. If too many props are manufactured between cal routines, that may explain the variation he has seen.

-------------

Date Posted: March-26-2007 at 10:54am
Hey Tim,

Yes, I got my prop shipped back a couple of weeks ago. Looks like new. He gave me the data showing the finished specs. You can probably understand it better than I can. They also shined it up real nice!

I'll try to scan in the specs.

Ken

-------------

Date Posted: March-26-2007 at 11:08am
It would be interesting to see them. If you dont mind, it would be great to see pics of the repaired damage too!

How much did it cost to have the prop shipped back to you?

-------------

Date Posted: March-26-2007 at 11:44am
Hey Tim,

The prop is at my parents house. I'll have some pictures soon. I think the shipping was $15 or so, I can't recall exactly. Larry gave a $30.00 discount because of CCF.Com. All members get a discount.

I'll send over the specs.

Ken

-------------

Date Posted: March-26-2007 at 12:09pm
Here are the documents from Accutechmarine.

Ken

-------------

Posted By: lkindber
Date Posted: March-27-2007 at 8:06am
Ken:

Thanks for your comments, however I would like to address some corrections.

The first item that is very important is the statement in one of the posts regarding my saying that Acme is not ISO compliant. What I said was that on occasion when we receive a new propeller from Acme, we have found that they were sometimes out of tolerance. I suspect that this is mostly due to shipping and handeling damage. We have found on some other brands of "CNC" propellers, that they too do not meet ISO Class 1 (or whatever class we order) tolerance. Acme makes a great propeller and in my discussions with them, I'm convinced that they are committed to the highest quality. I caution everyone that purchases a new propeller not to assume that it is accurate. We at AccuTech check and correct every new propeller before our customer receives it. Its truly amazing what we see out of the box!

Regarding ISO 484/2 class tolerances and the write-ups on my web page. Please understand that we work on propellers from 6" to 60" in diameter that are used on everthing from electric powered launches to 200' dinner boats. The .050" tolerance referred to is in matching multiple engine applications. The ISO class tolerances as required by 484/2 are adhered to within either the Prop Scan or Hale MRI programming and cannot be altered. However, for those folks that always feel that they are being cheated, I'm sure that there is a way to bypass the safeguards built into the systems. We do not subscribe to that type of business model.

To address performance of tuned propellers. I wish that I could give first hand accounting of improvements on ski boats. I cannot...I can only offer the comments of our customers that own such boats as documented in our annual customer surveys. Personally, I can attest to ISO class tuning on my own 38' diesel powered sportfisherman. One word...awsome!

As far as pricing, we try to be competitive. Currently, the flat rate to repair (not ressurect a miracle)a nibral ski boat propeller is $150. Through the request of Ken, I have agreed to allow a 20% discount to the members of this forum. Trust me...I'm not getting rich off of this as we generally put 2-4 hours into a tune and recondition. Shop labor rate is $65/hr...do the math! Smaller props are more difficult to properly tune.

Pitch blocks vs Prop Scan or Hale MRI? No comparison! We have checked props right out of a pitch block shop. This was ok 15 years ago, but not today with our high tech boats and motors.

Please keep in mind that when visiting our web site, we are addressing a general audience with a broad spectrum of needs. The readers of this forum are highly focused on one boat and use. Feel free to contact me by email or phone with specific questions regarding your needs. Our interests are no different than yours...performance and quality!

Larry

-------------
Larry

Date Posted: March-27-2007 at 11:42am

-------------

Date Posted: March-27-2007 at 12:15pm
Looks great Ken- more shiny than new!

Anyone know what the best method is to polishing brass/nibral underwater gear? I have some metal polish in a blue can that worked great on the pylon, but didnt do much for my tracking fins when applied by hand.

Larry, thanks for searching us out and giving us your insight. I may bring my other Acme props in to be baselined... Im curious how they stack up.

-------------

Date Posted: March-27-2007 at 12:36pm
Larry and team did a fantastic job with my 540. It gives me confidence to know that they take many steps to ensure top performance. There used to be a day (when I owned a 85HP Mercury outboard) when it seemed OK to have dents and dings in the prop. Now it seems like everything comes down to having the perfect prop. Now I have nothing to blame my crappy slalom skiing on!

Ken

-------------

Date Posted: March-27-2007 at 5:23pm
That's why I dont'e own the latest and greatest golf clubs, nothing to blame my crap game on when you have the latest and greatest.

-------------
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/buckethead1236/Barefooter6-10-09002.jpg" rel="nofollow - MY 87BFN

Posted By: The Lake
Date Posted: March-27-2007 at 10:52pm
I agree with you 87. Old clubs make for low expectations, and you feel better hitting out of rocky creek beds with them.

Ken the prop looks great, I got to believe it will sharpen up your turns.

Chuck

-------------
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=775&sort=&pagenum=3&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970 - 69 Ski Nautique

Posted By: 2001_Cuz
Date Posted: March-30-2007 at 10:14am

Larry and team did a fantastic job with my 540. It gives me confidence to know that they take many steps to ensure top performance. There used to be a day (when I owned a 85HP Mercury outboard) when it seemed OK to have dents and dings in the prop. Now it seems like everything comes down to having the perfect prop. Now I have nothing to blame my crappy slalom skiing on!

Ken

I am sure you will blame your crappy skiing on your retard driver. I don't think that will change. Plus you tend to ski down to the lowest level in the boat.

signed - the retard driver

Date Posted: March-30-2007 at 10:44am
Yes, that's right, average slalom ski ability it due to my driver. He can't work the throttle and steer at the same time. What good is a finely tuned Nautique with a finely tuned prop when your driver needs assistance firing up the boat? The helmet and knee pads come off next week.

Ken

-------------

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: March-30-2007 at 11:06am
I used to blame my lack of skills on the driver/boat but now that I have a SN and a perfect pass I am not sure I have much of a case anymore... but I swear he can find waves on a glass calm day...

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Posted By: Barracuda
Date Posted: March-30-2007 at 11:38am
Oder of blame:
1- Equipment
2- Conditions
3- Hang over
4- Driver

-------------
Former:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=759" rel="nofollow - '86 Nautique
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=507" rel="nofollow - '65 Barracuda

Date Posted: March-30-2007 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Barracuda Barracuda wrote:

Oder of blame:
1- Equipment
2- Conditions
3- Hang over
4- Driver

LOL, Brad . I like your order! #3 is priceless.

Ken

-------------

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: March-30-2007 at 11:54am

Originally posted by Barracuda Barracuda wrote:

Oder of blame:
1- Equipment
2- Conditions
3- Hang over
4- Driver

LOL, Brad . I like your order! #3 is priceless.

Ken

#5 driver harrassing the skier when you don't get up the first time: too many donuts for breakfast.

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: March-30-2007 at 12:22pm
The hangover may apply to the skier and/or driver.

-------------

Date Posted: March-30-2007 at 5:12pm
well would the skier preffer the driver to keep drinking therefore avoiding the hang over.. Just kidding all those were very good excuses have to remember them.

You guys scare me about going to GL. I am not by any means an expert at any of the skis I like to ride. Just always been a big fan of going out and having fun. Doesn't help that I don't get a lot of lake time. Doesn't work suck. Plus due to bone head jet ski riders have the balls are usually missing from the ski course.

-------------

Date Posted: April-13-2007 at 4:55pm
I picked up my prop from Accutech today- I figure this is an appropriate place to share my results.

I'll withold the final verdict until I get a chance to water test the prop, but I must say I am very pleased with what I see. They were able to tune my prop to ISO Class S standards (this is a step more stringent than Class 1). I also had 2 brand new Acme's baselined while I was there- one was solidly a Class 1, the other had a slight variation in one blade which just barely dropped it to Class 2.

Visually, 79 was right- the CNC lines are still visable, but not as pronounced. This is due to the surface grinding of the prop (it has no affect on performance). Here's a comparison shot- the reworked prop is on the right.

My final scan results look very similar to Kens, but I may post the before vs. after results next week. For $120 (which included our site discount) Accutech repaired all my damage, added cup (I went from .105 to .130), and provided a full documentation package. Pricing was very competetive with Acme's repair service and other shops in my area, so Id say I definitely got my money's worth.

-------------

Date Posted: April-13-2007 at 5:54pm
Can't wait to try them on the water!!! Tim, I'll have mine on the water in two weeks. Can't wait.

-------------

Date Posted: April-13-2007 at 6:25pm
was that the 470 you had fixed? or was it one of the baseline's?

-------------

Date Posted: April-13-2007 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

was that the 470 you had fixed? or was it one of the baseline's?

Both props in the pic are 470's. The one on the left is new and was baselined as Class 2. The one on the right was reconditioned with added cup.

-------------

Date Posted: May-09-2007 at 1:35pm
Last week i shipped my prop (Acme 422) to the regular prop guy because Im working on reducing any vibration. He called and told me there was a minor bend on one of the blades. It would be a quick fix, no welding...and "only" $150. (Plus $10 shipping each way). So now its $170 for a very minor prop repair in So Cal. Ouch.

Print Page | Close Window