Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50960
Printed Date: June-04-2024 at 2:54am

Topic: little screws for bimini top
Posted By: BaccoBouncer
Subject: little screws for bimini top
Date Posted: October-24-2022 at 3:37pm
i need those little set screws for the bimini top joints.  The don't have a head.  It is the end of the thread that is the stop. They are a flat screwdriver fit. Where can i get them and if not does anyone know what thread they are and I can search for them or make them.
Thanks

-------------
'97 21' Sport Nautique

Replies:
Posted By: Jonny Quest
Date Posted: October-24-2022 at 7:16pm
McMaster-Carr

www.McMaster.com is your friend.  

JQ

-------------
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Posted By: andrewmarani
Date Posted: October-26-2022 at 10:44pm
Second on McMaster.  

New set screws are likely going to be Torx, not a straight screwdriver style.  Torx is a significant improvement in your ability to tighten or remove them in the future. I would replace them all while you are working on the top.  

If any are still in their sockets, take one to an ace hardware store.  My local ace has a size chain with bolt and nut threads hanging in the bolt isle that you can screw your set screw into and find out the thread size.  

-------------
Builder

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: October-27-2022 at 8:01am
Originally posted by BaccoBouncer BaccoBouncer wrote:

i need those little set screws for the bimini top joints.  The don't have a head.  It is the end of the thread that is the stop. They are a flat screwdriver fit. Where can i get them and if not does anyone know what thread they are and I can search for them or make them.
Thanks

How about a picture of these joints and/or screws so everybody knows what you're talking about?

Date Posted: October-27-2022 at 9:35am
The boat is wrapped, but I can go get in there in the next few days to get a closeup.  I didn't plan poorly I'm just sloppy.  I removed one of the screws before wrapping it so I could measure the threads and find it at a hardware store or order it.  I put in in my wallet so I wouldn't' loose it.  I lost it.  
On the upside it's these actions where I frustrate myself that convince my wife I'm not being passive aggressive when I mess up things she needs.
I was hoping it was a standard screw for Bimini frames. Here is a pic of the joint I am talking about.

-------------
'97 21' Sport Nautique

Posted By: andrewmarani
Date Posted: October-27-2022 at 4:32pm
OK so not a set screw.  Can't really see it but likely a short oval head (not flat, not pan), top of screw has a slight crown, kind of like the top of your head.  Most boating stores sell them in stainless.

Or:  https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/head-type~oval/

-------------
Builder

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: October-27-2022 at 5:17pm
Are these the little screws in the link below?  Make sure you look at the top view and the side view.

http://store-3cm314p8xg.mybigcommerce.com/machine-screw-stainless-steel/" rel="nofollow - link

If not a quick surf around their site will probably find what you're looking for Wink

Posted By: MartyMabe
Date Posted: October-28-2022 at 7:24am

Is this your boat?  Looks like you don't have a PEF Plaque for it! ??

I'm your Man !
mtmabe@northstate.net

Marty Mabe

-------------
66 Skylark
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5041" rel="nofollow - 93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!

Posted By: Jonny Quest
Date Posted: October-28-2022 at 10:26am
You NEED one of Marty's PEF plaques...

-------------
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Date Posted: October-30-2022 at 8:09am
I went into the boat and got another one.  You can see why I called them set screws.  It's the short thread that stops them in the right place.  The thread is 1/4-28. it's about 3/4" long.  I grabbed some button head stainless phillips ones at the hardware store.  I'll put them in and see how they look in the spring.  If they look really bad I can pursue finding or making the right ones.  
Thanks for the help. 

-------------
'97 21' Sport Nautique

Print Page | Close Window