Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50336
Printed Date: May-05-2024 at 10:28am

Topic: Delete trailer prop guard?
Posted By: DockDoc
Subject: Delete trailer prop guard?
Date Posted: October-30-2021 at 6:36pm
New garage. Boat barely fits. Annoyingly, the trailer prop guard strikes the ground when backing in, because the angle of attack is down the driveway then back up into the garage. It needs about 1.5” extra height (blocked a 2x4 under the trailer tires and it cleared no problem). I removed the prop guard and the trailer backed right in, prop has plenty of clearance.

Think it’s a terrible idea to semi permanently delete the prop guard to facilitate garage parking? On longer trips or unusual destinations I could bolt it back on.

Other considerations - build some ramps out of lumber (works but a pain), buy bigger trailer tires (could work but not sure if they’d fit, also expensive and I’d have to buy 4 of them), lower my trailer hitch from a 4” to a 5-6” drop (could work but might negatively affect towing dynamics), store the dang thing outside.

-------------
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec

Replies:
Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: October-30-2021 at 6:46pm
You've already done it and it works, so your plan sounds reasonable to me. Wink

Date Posted: October-30-2021 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

You've already done it and it works, so your plan sounds reasonable to me. Wink

Deleting the prop guard? It definitely works, just not sure if it’s a dumb idea to leave it off all the time.

-------------
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec

Date Posted: October-30-2021 at 6:52pm
Probably depends on how much ground clearance you have and if you go four wheelin' to get to the launch ramp Wink

Posted By: desertskier
Date Posted: October-30-2021 at 7:14pm
I know someone that welded a couple of small wheels to the prop guard to handle a steep driveway.  I think they did the job.

-------------
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93

Posted By: scootdogydog
Date Posted: October-30-2021 at 7:55pm
If you lower the bow, the stern will rise. 4-6" drop and you'll be fine

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7183" rel="nofollow - 1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP

Date Posted: October-30-2021 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

I know someone that welded a couple of small wheels to the prop guard to handle a steep driveway.  I think they did the job.

That is an awesome idea. Could probably just bolt something on. Thanks

-------------
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec

Date Posted: October-30-2021 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by scootdogydog scootdogydog wrote:

If you lower the bow, the stern will rise. 4-6" drop and you'll be fine

Yeah I’ve got a 4” drop already which keeps everything pretty neutral, but might try a 5-6” to see how that works. Certainly an easy fix. Maybe an adjustable hitch is in my future.

-------------
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec

Posted By: MrMcD
Date Posted: October-30-2021 at 9:23pm
Drop the hitch and see what it does for you.  I had to drop my nautique hitch to get more weight onto the front wheels of my trailer so the brakes worked properly, I have a 2 axle trailer.  I have towed with a variety of vehicles and have a collection of receiver hitches to use from straight to 6" drop.   I think if you remove the prop guard you will be un lucky enough to have your prop kiss something it should not kiss and you won't be happy.
I have seen wheels on the back of trailers many times to allow bad angles to roll on by.

-------------

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: October-30-2021 at 9:32pm
RV's also weld on wheels for the same purpose. Bumper drag. 

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.

Date Posted: October-31-2021 at 8:23am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Drop the hitch and see what it does for you.  I had to drop my nautique hitch to get more weight onto the front wheels of my trailer so the brakes worked properly, I have a 2 axle trailer.  I have towed with a variety of vehicles and have a collection of receiver hitches to use from straight to 6" drop.   I think if you remove the prop guard you will be un lucky enough to have your prop kiss something it should not kiss and you won't be happy.
I have seen wheels on the back of trailers many times to allow bad angles to roll on by.

Yeah this is the approach I’m going with. Ordered a drop hitch and will give that a go. If it doesn’t work I’ll pursue the roller / caster route which seems pretty straightforward. Googled it and it seems to be a very common add on for these types of trailers.

-------------
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: October-31-2021 at 9:57am
All my hitches are bolted on and unadjustable.

Posted By: 67 ski nat
Date Posted: October-31-2021 at 10:18am
Doc you’ll have clearance from prop to driveway until one day you forget and Don’t   Leave it on
BTW. What have you done with Pete

Posted By: 63 Skier
Date Posted: November-01-2021 at 10:59am
Agree with 67, leave it on.  I'm guessing that guard has saved my prop a few dozen times at this point.  I love the idea of rollers on the guard, might look into that myself.

-------------
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: November-01-2021 at 11:11am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Agree with 67, leave it on.  I'm guessing that guard has saved my prop a few dozen times at this point.  I love the idea of rollers on the guard, might look into that myself.

yeah I agree too and will do so. Not worth trashing the bottom of the boat for this small problem. I'm really hoping a slightly lower hitch will fix the problem. Otherwise will look into rollers/casters, or even just ramps.

-------------
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: November-01-2021 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I'm with HW, lower the hitch - it will be the next thing dragging. How about a lower ball mount or if yours can be turned over just do that.....

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-01-2021 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I'm with HW, lower the hitch - it will be the next thing dragging. How about a lower ball mount or if yours can be turned over just do that.....

My fault, I'm confusing hitch and ball mount... I'm getting an adjustable ball mount. 

-------------
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: November-01-2021 at 8:06pm
Sell house,   buy a more boat friendly residence Big smile

Date Posted: November-01-2021 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Sell house,   buy a more boat friendly residence Big smile

Ugh literally just finished this brand new garage!!

Couldn’t convince the wife to move out to the lake so oh well

-------------
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec

Posted By: Jonny Quest
Date Posted: November-02-2021 at 3:15pm
I fabricated a mount for the R/V type "butt dragger" steel roller wheel.  I have one wheel on each side of the prop cage.  The axle on the roller wheel has a grease zerk for lubrication.  The location of the roller wheel is about 3/4" below the prop cage.

I also have an adjustable ball mount so that I can drop the trailer tongue fairly low to get the a$$ end of the trailer (and prop cage) up with additional clearance if needed.

-------------
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Date Posted: November-02-2021 at 9:47pm
That looks bout perfect JQ.  Nice work.

-------------

Date Posted: November-03-2021 at 12:11am

That looks bout perfect JQ.  Nice work.
Thanks McD.  Those wheels are one of the best mods I've done on the trailer.  I have a fairly steep driveway, so the butt-dragger wheels are used many times during waterski season. I got real tired of the scraping and grinding of the prop cage and the marks left on the concrete.

JQ

-------------
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Date Posted: November-03-2021 at 2:04am
Your welds look better than mine.   I am still working on that skill set.  I have a frame to modify, will give me lots of practice.

Where did you find the grazeable rollers?

-------------

Date Posted: November-03-2021 at 10:45am
Where do you guys find adjustable hitches?

Date Posted: November-03-2021 at 11:14am
I bought this one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SMGAJ6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details" rel="nofollow - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SMGAJ6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

-------------
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec

Date Posted: November-03-2021 at 11:21am
Linky no worky

Date Posted: November-03-2021 at 11:27am
Weird. try this one. Cheaper on amazon though. 

https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Curt/C45900.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google%20%7C%20Search%20-%20Ball%20Mounts%20-%20SKU&adgroupid=97010688675&campaignid=1867191965&creative=420700515992&device=c&devicemodel=&feeditemid=&keyword=curt%2045900&loc_interest_ms=&loc_physical_ms=9009947&matchtype=p&network=g&placement=&position=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5oiMBhDtARIsAJi0qk2XPeOALssmr2T-dL75Hgg220ipZ2fhJsnicSslwzVUeul0hbTw2hYaAo73EALw_wcB" rel="nofollow - https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Curt/C45900.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google%20%7C%20Search%20-%20Ball%20Mounts%20-%20SKU&adgroupid=97010688675&campaignid=1867191965&creative=420700515992&device=c&devicemodel=&feeditemid=&keyword=curt%2045900&loc_interest_ms=&loc_physical_ms=9009947&matchtype=p&network=g&placement=&position=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5oiMBhDtARIsAJi0qk2XPeOALssmr2T-dL75Hgg220ipZ2fhJsnicSslwzVUeul0hbTw2hYaAo73EALw_wcB

-------------
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec

Date Posted: November-03-2021 at 11:31am
That’s not a hitch.

Date Posted: November-03-2021 at 11:31am
Fixed the Amazon link

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SMGAJ6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details" rel="nofollow - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SMGAJ6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

-------------
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec

Date Posted: November-03-2021 at 11:35am
Yeah again because I'm an idiot and keep confusing "hitch" with "ball mount". My bad.

-------------
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec

Date Posted: November-03-2021 at 11:41am
It’s not just you

Date Posted: November-03-2021 at 12:39pm
I always thought the term for ball mount was Receiver?

-------------

Date Posted: November-03-2021 at 1:08pm
Well you thought wrong. What receives what ?

Ball mount = drawbar
Hitch = receiver

Date Posted: November-03-2021 at 1:35pm

Your welds look better than mine.   I am still working on that skill set.  I have a frame to modify, will give me lots of practice.

Where did you find the grazeable rollers?

Ultra Micro Steel Roller Wheels by Ultra-Fab
https://ultra-fab.com/product/ultra-micro-steel-roller-2w-x-2d-1-pk/

Can also be purchased at Amazon or ETrailer

JQ

-------------
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Posted By: agetech
Date Posted: November-03-2021 at 10:47pm
I had the same problem, angle of driveway caused the prop guard to drag.  I ended up putting inflatable air bags under the leaf springs, 15" tires, and 6" drop hitch.  I air up the springs before I pull into or out of the garage, lower the pressure before hitting the road.   I was able to build some mounts for the springs that didn't require welding or drilling on the trailer.

Date Posted: November-03-2021 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by agetech agetech wrote:

I had the same problem, angle of driveway caused the prop guard to drag.  I ended up putting inflatable air bags under the leaf springs, 15" tires, and 6" drop hitch.  I air up the springs before I pull into or out of the garage, lower the pressure before hitting the road.   I was able to build some mounts for the springs that didn't require welding or drilling on the trailer.

Yikes that sounds like a huge pain!

I’m really hopeful the drop hitch will solve the problem - although it creates a new problem because with the truck on the down angle of the driveway, the hitch gets too low for the trailer kickstand to reach it without bottoming out. Frustrating.

-------------
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec

Date Posted: November-03-2021 at 11:22pm
I feel for you.
I had an 8" drop hitch, but then the hitch drug with the weight of the boat.  
I also tried the 2x6 under the tires method which helped, but the I had lumber laying on the driveway.

Date Posted: November-03-2021 at 11:27pm
Airbags?  Someones been watching too many episodes of "Texas Metal"Smile. I put a set of bolt on wheels on my RV.  Easy and work great.  If they can support an RV a boat trailer is no problem.

-------------
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: November-04-2021 at 7:10am

That’s not a hitch.

Hollywood being a ball buster Wink 

Date Posted: November-04-2021 at 8:35am
Originally posted by DockDoc DockDoc wrote:

I’m really hopeful the drop hitch will solve the problem - although it creates a new problem because with the truck on the down angle of the driveway, the hitch gets too low for the trailer kickstand to reach it without bottoming out. Frustrating.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words or something like that, how about a few thousand words worth of pictures?  Wink

Date Posted: November-04-2021 at 10:48am
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

Airbags?  Someones been watching too many episodes of "Texas Metal"Smile. I put a set of bolt on wheels on my RV.  Easy and work great.  If they can support an RV a boat trailer is no problem.

I don't think wheels on my prop guard will support the weight of the boat, the trailer tires would be completely off the ground.  The ability of the prop guard to carry that weight would be in question.  You don't know the angle of my driveway.

Date Posted: November-04-2021 at 11:19am
I guess it depends on what trailer you have.  My prop guard can handle the weight of the boat and trailer no problem.  I use it as a jack point all the time.  Mine is box steel.

-------------
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93

Posted By: 63 Skier
Date Posted: November-04-2021 at 11:22am
I'm going to add wheels, love the way that install looks.  I end up dragging and lifting the entire boat/trailer occasionally, no damage to the guard.  Having said that, it's a pretty huge shear load without the wheels so I think adding them will make the prop guard much less likely to be damaged.

-------------
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: November-04-2021 at 12:25pm
Hollywood, you better call E Trailer.com and educate them.   They call it a Drop Hitch Receiver and damned if the picture does not look just like your  Ball Mount = Draw Bar

CORRECTION:  Hollywood is correct:  A simple google search does show Drop Hitch Receiver with a picture of the typical ball mount drop hitch like I stated but I am wrong.  If you actually search Ball Mount it shows the part and is worded "BALL MOUNT exactly as Hollywood pointed out initially.  

The search feature gets you there using any combination of descriptions, receiver, ball mount, Hitch but the proper term does appear to be Ball Mount, I will update my vocabulary thanks to Hollywood.Thumbs Up

They do offer drop hitch receivers but those actually allow mounting a ball mount down lower, I guess for those super high lifted trucks using heavier steel to lower the ball mount location.

-------------

Date Posted: November-05-2021 at 4:09pm
Y’all’s balls too high.period.

Date Posted: May-24-2022 at 12:39am
By way of update… problem was solved by welding on some brackets and then installing some heavy duty nylon casters I found on McMaster. Had a mobile welder fabricate and weld up the brackets. They’re a lot beefier than they need to be and likely overengineered but they do the trick. I was worried the steel rollers might scar up my concrete garage floor hence the Nylon. Poly would be even better but much more expensive.

Now when I roll out of the garage the casters carry the weight for a foot or two. It’s barely noticeable from the tow vehicle and doesn’t make a sound or leave a mark. Win!

Update thread
https://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50631&PID=605407򓳟

-------------
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec

Print Page | Close Window