Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48366
Printed Date: April-29-2024 at 10:15am

Topic: Somebody help this guy find a Mastercraft
Posted By: KENO
Subject: Somebody help this guy find a Mastercraft
Date Posted: January-29-2020 at 4:19pm
"This guy" wouldn't be me, but his initials might be TRB

He's been looking on the M/C website for a few weeks now with no luck.

Wants a cheap 83 1/2 or later S&S or Pro Star so he won't have to screw around with stringers.

I bet somebody on here knows somebody with an unadvertised project so C'mon find him that boat.

Here's one of his threads in the link

https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com//showthread.php?t=103493" rel="nofollow - link

Replies:
Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: January-29-2020 at 5:15pm
Oh geez cats out of the bag.

Disclaimer: not looking for myself! I am planning to build our small show ski team a lightweight tractor with a big block. I’ll be the one wrenching on it but I’ll likely spend more time behind it than in the drivers seat. I don’t mind the powertrain stuff but I’m not doing anything structural this go around. Older MC’s ski well enough and will be easier to find on our budget than a 93+ SN.

In terms of what I’m looking for, a 84-85 Stars and Stripes would be right in my wheelhouse, ideally with a Powerslot. Willing to consider any 83.5+ boat but it has to be cheap. I don’t care much about the cosmetics, and plan to swap a big block in so the powertrain need not be functional (though the 1-1/8” hardware that comes with the slot would be most desirable). If you see anything that fits this description, drop me a line. Willing to travel!

TRBenj@gmail.com

Thanks!

Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: January-29-2020 at 5:24pm

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: January-30-2020 at 10:04am
What's the budget for the purchase?

Date Posted: January-30-2020 at 10:13am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

it has to be cheap.

I’m considering everything from a shell to a functional boat so the range is relatively wide and the above guidance is probably sufficient... but let’s call it $4k on the nice end- but I’d rather spend under $3k with a good engine and $1k or less for a total basketcase. Anything in between considered.

Date Posted: January-30-2020 at 10:17am
This looks to have good bones...

%20" rel="nofollow - https://boats-from-usa.com/mastercraft/mastercraft-powerslot-39198

Oh geeze, old ad.

but something like this?

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: January-30-2020 at 10:42am
Redeux

Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

This looks to have good bones...

http://boats-from-usa.com/mastercraft/mastercraft-powerslot-39198" rel="nofollow - http://boats-from-usa.com/mastercraft/mastercraft-powerslot-39198

Oh geeze, old ad.

but something like this?

-------------

Date Posted: January-30-2020 at 10:52am
Lol you got me excited there for a minute Tom... then I saw the question from 2016.

But yeah something like that would be perfect.

Posted By: 67 ski nat
Date Posted: January-30-2020 at 11:41am
There were couple Stars and Stripes on berryessa in 80’s
They were cool looking

Date Posted: January-30-2020 at 12:22pm
Yeah i thought i hit bingo for you till i saw that too!

One day maybe 20 years ago our 'gang' was studying a used S&S MC PS with the BB that came by or was being demoed for the weekend by someone. We were studying the engine, and it also appeared to be an HO large port engine, with same list carb. Quite the odd egg. Pulled strong as expected but didn't match the top speed of the 2001's, hull likely.

-------------

River Rat to Mole

Date Posted: January-30-2020 at 12:30pm
Since this is the “other boats” thread
I also thought the ski Sanger sloped bow nose was nice looking too when it came around to pickup skiers
I’m guessing visibility of folks in water

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: January-30-2020 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

Since this is the “other boats” thread

It’s not

Date Posted: January-30-2020 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Yeah i thought i hit bingo for you till i saw that too!

One day maybe 20 years ago our 'gang' was studying a used S&S MC PS with the BB that came by or was being demoed for the weekend by someone. We were studying the engine, and it also appeared to be an HO large port engine, with same list carb. Quite the odd egg. Pulled strong as expected but didn't match the top speed of the 2001's, hull likely.

Yep, have seen a few “super slots” (online, not in person) with either the HO 454 (188 heads on the late 80’s flavors) or 440 mated to the 1.5:1 (presumably a 72c rather than the typical 71c that came on the small blocks). Reported top speeds do seem pretty lethargic (50ish) which made question whether they were true HO’s but suspect you’re right about the hull since I’ve since seen some confirmed rectangle castings.

I envision a large oval not dissimilar to my current backup engine (400ish) or mayve add a roller for 450ish would pull great- especially in a lightweight hull with the reduction and a 13.5x17.5 acme. Just what the doctor ordered.

Date Posted: January-30-2020 at 2:18pm
Nice plan!

-------------

River Rat to Mole

Date Posted: January-30-2020 at 2:54pm
A bigger surprise/disappointment/shock/ question than Tim being on TeamTalk looking for an old S&S is the fact that he has over 1,200 posts over there. Now, admittedly, its not over 20,000 posts and it has been almost 15 years, but still......

-------------

Date Posted: January-30-2020 at 2:56pm
heh, I suspect we don't think we want to start skeleton in the closet measuring contest here

-------------

River Rat to Mole

Date Posted: January-30-2020 at 6:19pm
He's been known to frequent themalibucrew. One of these might be a good option.

Date Posted: January-30-2020 at 6:44pm
Oh god no. We have standards.

Posted By: zwoobah
Date Posted: January-30-2020 at 6:57pm
This one is over budget and short on details, but if the "larger engine" in the description means big block and the price has some January flexibility....could be a good deal. It's also in your neighborhood

. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/595885440972647/" rel="nofollow - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/595885440972647/

-------------
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered

Date Posted: January-30-2020 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

He's been known to frequent themalibucrew. One of these might be a good option.

Knock off Sanger?

Date Posted: January-30-2020 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by zwoobah zwoobah wrote:

This one is over budget and short on details, but if the "larger engine" in the description means big block and the price has some January flexibility....could be a good deal. It's also in your neighborhood

. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/595885440972647/" rel="nofollow - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/595885440972647/

Doubt there’s much flexibility based on what he paid for it and it doesn’t have a special engine... just the 240hp 351w. I sold that boat last summer.

Date Posted: January-30-2020 at 8:07pm
Sometimes you sell something and then a couple or three years later you're looking for something just like it

Had wooden stringers though.

Link below

https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/showthread.php?t=80609" rel="nofollow - link

Date Posted: January-30-2020 at 9:03pm
Oh no that is not what I am looking for.

Posted By: MrMcD
Date Posted: January-30-2020 at 9:03pm
I had the Malibu similar to the picture above. I agree with Tim, No.
It had a fantastic ski wake, good top speed but it did not know how to turn properly.

If you don't understand this take one for a drive. They turn differently based on how many people are in the boat. Fully loaded it did not want to turn at all it would rock up on the chines.   Again great ski wake, not a well built boat. I had it 20 years but missed my Nautique from day 1 till I finally went back and bought the 95.
Also had wood stringers. Good looking boats but cheaply made at least up to 87 the year of mine.   Maybe they got better later.

Only complaint I hear on the old Mastercraft is they ride terrible on any rough water.

-------------

Date Posted: January-30-2020 at 9:11pm
Agree with the points on Malibu except the ski wake is sht.

MC rides like death on 3”+ chop. Second to only Supreme in the back breaking category. For the purpose I’m seeking, that’s just fine.

Date Posted: January-31-2020 at 4:53am
The 87 Malibu I had had a great ski wake, way smaller than my 78 Nautique and a little smaller maybe softer than my 95 Nautique but I have to qualify, with my 78 I always skied at 36 MPH, with the Malibu I started at 36 but years later slowed to 33 MPH. On the 95 I only ski at 33 MPH, no longer use a course at all and enjoy the slower speed now and 32 off is in the rear view window now, 15 off is my standard length. So maybe not a fair comparison.
Skiing hard behind the 78 Nautique taught you how to properly cross a wake, If you were not on edge and pulling it would launch you, even when on edge and pulling hard it was two hard bumps with each pull crossing the wakes unless you went to shorter rope lengths.
The vintage 78 Mastercraft had smaller wakes, not sure if they were better at deep short line but at 15 off it was better.
We spent most of our ski time on rivers and lakes and 15 off was our standard length.

-------------

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: January-31-2020 at 6:57am

Oh geez cats out of the bag.

Disclaimer: not looking for myself! I am planning to build our small show ski team a lightweight tractor with a big block. I’ll be the one wrenching on it but I’ll likely spend more time behind it than in the drivers seat.Thanks!

Yeah, Yeah Sure Sure!!!! It's for our show ski team. Nice cover Timmy. Blame it on the "Ski Team" It only takes one and then he'll be a MC Guru/ Grand Poohbah over on Team Talk. He's already a member. Before you know it, he'll be selling off his CC fleet and buying MC barefoot boats with Outboards then he'll be adding a Prostar and then going big for the "Ski Club" and going with a X-Star.

Timmy, I'll save you the trouble and headaches and take the Inca Gold Skier off your hands RIGHT NOW! I'll even drive to CT to pick it up myself come spring. We're seeing more and more pictures of you in Sangers, Malibus and Mastercrafts so we know where your allegiance is heading. You're turning into another CCFan I know who has more Supras then CC's and shows up to CCFan functions dragging his beloved Supra then his CC. I'll give you a shout this weekend to discuss a price and pick up date on the skier.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Date Posted: January-31-2020 at 9:57am
A nice Malibu Skier is in the target price range and is a great low dollar ski boat. The one in the photo was our family boat for 11 years. Still in the family after 28 years and has had very little work done to it other than routine maintenance. First boat I could cut through the wake without fear. The SN 2001 wake still terrifies me. Steering can be sketchy, especially if you let the rudder/tiller connection get out of sorts.

Hollywood, the Sanger fans like to think so. I figured you'd be impressed with its Bimini.

Date Posted: January-31-2020 at 10:35am
Hard pass on any pre-echelon Malibu, the wake and build quality are amongst the worst I’ve seen. Our friends had a ‘88 Skier, what a heap.

Posted By: fanofccfan
Date Posted: January-31-2020 at 10:50am
A friend of mine has what I think is a 96 Malibu Tantrum. The wake is great for barefooting and it gets used like a tractor. Pulled up three fatties deepwater (one bacerds) last summer. It gets the job done and does it well. but I still let all my allegiance lie in the CC family.

Tim- becasue I love to look for used boats, I am on the prowl. I am almost sure you have never been to Nebraska and this would be a great excuse!

-------------
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski

Posted By: desertskier
Date Posted: January-31-2020 at 11:49am
Slightly off topic but since your talking cheap boats and you guys like CCs. My daughter and her boyfriend just picked this up at the local auction for just slightly over your budget.

Date Posted: January-31-2020 at 12:35pm
Cracks me up when people judge a ski boat's ride by saying it is bad in rough water. It's a freakin' ski boat, not an ocean going fishing boat. When are you going to be using it in rough water? My Mazda Miata is an ok car but I cant fit my family in it and it has lousy trunk space (just an example....I dont really own a miata)

-------------

Date Posted: January-31-2020 at 2:10pm
In all fairness the MC and supreme do ride horribly in water that is still perfectly skiable. Crossing wakes is back breaking. Even the vintage cc’s ride 10x better.

Posted By: zwoobah
Date Posted: January-31-2020 at 2:58pm
https://www.copart.com/lot/26036120" rel="nofollow - https://www.copart.com/lot/26036120

-------------
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered

Date Posted: January-31-2020 at 3:42pm

https://www.copart.com/lot/26036120" rel="nofollow - https://www.copart.com/lot/26036120

You might as well start sending links to cars ...

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: January-31-2020 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

You might as well start sending links to cars ...

I agree.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Faceplant
Date Posted: January-31-2020 at 9:06pm
My 1988 2001 hull rides much better than my 1979 Ski Supreme did. Wake was far superior in the Supreme though for skiing. Was quite surprised.

-------------
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.

Date Posted: February-01-2020 at 5:56am
Desert Skier, looks like your daughter came up with a nice boat. I hope it does not need much work to get it back on the water.

-------------

Posted By: desertskier
Date Posted: February-01-2020 at 6:50pm
Went and looked at it this morning. It's a '99 Pro Air with a GT-40. Interior is a little crispy but overall it looks pretty good. Not sure if runs or not yet. Expect I will be looking at the GT-40 thread in the near future.

Posted By: MourningWood
Date Posted: February-01-2020 at 9:17pm
I have to agree with your (TRBenj) choice of workhorse for your purpose...a '83-on Pslot is a rugged tug with lots of grunt. These were used in the day at the original Marine World then in Redwood Shores, Ca. in the ski show. The early all-glass hulls rode rough and 'rattled' and were noisy, but they didn't break.

First-gen Malibus of that era had mold problems resulting in a asymmetrical hull that would chine-walk when turning. They rode unevenly, very hard to get level. If pressed hard enough, the company would literally replace the hull under warranty.

-------------
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Date Posted: February-03-2020 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

A friend of mine has what I think is a 96 Malibu Tantrum. The wake is great for barefooting and it gets used like a tractor. Pulled up three fatties deepwater (one bacerds) last summer. It gets the job done and does it well. but I still let all my allegiance lie in the CC family.

Tim- becasue I love to look for used boats, I am on the prowl. I am almost sure you have never been to Nebraska and this would be a great excuse!

The Tantrum is a sportster hull I believe... and that’s a nice simple pulling rig. I’ve seen a few Tantrums for short money and they’re tempting... but all that purple and the really horrific gauge placement (plus the cheap plexi windshield) gives me pause.

Find me a Nebraska boat, would love to visit!

Date Posted: February-03-2020 at 4:58pm
Long ways from CT but a 1982 Stars and Stripes in Santa Rosa
Based on the Prop I think it is a powerslot boat.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/d/santa-rosa-mastercraft-stars-stripes/7058040049.html

-------------

Date Posted: February-03-2020 at 5:25pm
If you can judge prop pitch from a picture you’re a better man than me!

Unfortunately he’s probably right about the year and definitely wrong about the stringers, that’s not a composite boat- so I’ve ruled it out. At that price i think he’ll have it for a while too.

Keep em coming!

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: February-03-2020 at 5:43pm

If you can judge prop pitch from a picture you’re a better man than me!

Unfortunately he’s probably right about the year and definitely wrong about the stringers, that’s not a composite boat- so I’ve ruled it out. At that price i think he’ll have it for a while too.

Keep em coming!

Tim if you have any interest in this boat call and ask him to verify the composite stringers. Like CC, Mastercraft had crossover years but that dash pod came out in 83 so maybe it's a late 82 with 83 construction?   Still a bit of money but may be worth a phone call.

Date Posted: February-03-2020 at 5:59pm
Composite stringers were a mid 83 change... and I can see that the engine mount is sitting right on the stringer in his pics. The composite boats have the engine sitting on a piece of angle inboard of the stringer (no need to notch the floor)... so I’m fairly certain.

I’ve seen that pod on other 82’s if I’m not mistaken- lots of weird things happening in that timeframe- like the inconsistent switch over to the square framed windshield. My 81 had one but have seen 81-82 boats with the round plexi. Weird.

Date Posted: February-03-2020 at 6:05pm
Your 90 SN also didn’t have the correct windshield. Things happen.

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: February-03-2020 at 6:21pm

Composite stringers were a mid 83 change... and I can see that the engine mount is sitting right on the stringer in his pics. The composite boats have the engine sitting on a piece of angle inboard of the stringer (no need to notch the floor)... so I’m fairly certain.

I’ve seen that pod on other 82’s if I’m not mistaken- lots of weird things happening in that timeframe- like the inconsistent switch over to the square framed windshield. My 81 had one but have seen 81-82 boats with the round plexi. Weird.

Agreed on weird stuff between those years. My 82 had the round plexi windshield and did not have that hideous dash pod but I've seen just the opposite on other 82's as well. Mine also had a textured deck which was pretty cool.

Not that it matters but the round windshield and the double bump dash for the speedos was a great look. That pod was just horrible.

Date Posted: February-03-2020 at 8:54pm
The floating pod doesn’t bother me, the bug eye one my 81 had was not my favorite. The square framed windshield just looks proper to me, but the plexi isn’t bad looking at all. Just what I remember growing up.

Date Posted: February-03-2020 at 11:51pm
Not all memories are good memories .

Date Posted: February-04-2020 at 7:58am
If you're considering any different brands Tim, let me know and I'll start another thread for ya'.

This one has been pretty entertaining

Date Posted: February-04-2020 at 10:41am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

If you're considering any different brands Tim, let me know and I'll start another thread for ya'.

This one has been pretty entertaining

Despite a very generous offer, this one was just not available, so he moved on.

-------------

Posted By: fanofccfan
Date Posted: February-04-2020 at 11:25am

Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

The Tantrum is a sportster hull I believe... and that’s a nice simple pulling rig. I’ve seen a few Tantrums for short money and they’re tempting... but all that purple and the really horrific gauge placement (plus the cheap plexi windshield) gives me pause.

Find me a Nebraska boat, would love to visit!

The plexi windscreen makes for great a hairdoo when you plop in the drivers seat after a ski run! We never have to clean it to see through it though! Ah yes-purple and guage placement might give everyone pause. In my 20's it may have prevented me from getting in it but now that we have come to terms with the fact that the "chickies" do not care about the grey haired generation, we just ski, laugh, have a few beers, and enjoy ourselves! Come visit whether a boat is found or not. We would be happy to have any and all!

-------------
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski

Posted By: RealDeez
Date Posted: February-04-2020 at 5:00pm
Found this by accident... maybe a fit?

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1984-mastercraft-stars-and-stripes-5864628/" rel="nofollow - S+S MC SoCal

-------------
Lake James, IN
93 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: February-04-2020 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by RealDeez RealDeez wrote:

Found this by accident... maybe a fit?

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1984-mastercraft-stars-and-stripes-5864628/" rel="nofollow - S+S MC SoCal

No, but thanks.

Date Posted: February-04-2020 at 10:15pm
I’ll bite....why not TRB. Motor, stringers   

Date Posted: February-04-2020 at 10:20pm
Doesnt need me to speak for him, but re-read his criteria. Price and distance.

-------------

Date Posted: February-04-2020 at 10:20pm

Willing to consider any 83.5+ boat but it has to be cheap.

Plenty of options at $5k and above... I am looking well south of that.

Date Posted: February-04-2020 at 10:33pm
Ok. I was kinda digging for your thoughts on equipment motor etc
Good to know something else

Date Posted: February-04-2020 at 10:38pm
I went back. I see your plan. You must have spare big block sitting around

Date Posted: February-06-2020 at 8:42am
Here's a possibility for ya' TRB

From Ball of Spray but he also spends some time here on CCF

It seems to have been nicknamed the SaladStar 190   

Maybe he'll come along with some info about the creation of this gem.

Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: February-06-2020 at 6:12pm

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/spokane-78-mastercraft-project/7068033491.html" rel="nofollow - Spokane boat

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: February-06-2020 at 6:51pm
Hahahaha !!!      Luvin' the Salad*Star !!!

I once built a wooden style salad jon for a local restaurant.

-------------
Keep it....from sinkin'

Date Posted: February-06-2020 at 7:40pm
I think I like that salad bar better than the purple boat... and i don’t like the salad bar at all.

Date Posted: February-06-2020 at 8:58pm
Ahem. What's your beef with purple boats?

-------------
Lake James, IN
93 Sport Nautique

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: February-06-2020 at 9:16pm
Nothing but like scooters and fat chicks while fun to ride you don't want your friends seeing you.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: February-06-2020 at 9:22pm
Ouch. To be fair, I didn't pick the color. But you got me in the feels.

-------------
Lake James, IN
93 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: February-06-2020 at 10:56pm
Just giving you the business. At least you don't have this combo-

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: Orlando76
Date Posted: February-06-2020 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Nothing but like scooters and fat chicks while fun to ride you don't want your friends seeing you.
hey, I’m not embarrassed to ride all 3. Man up boys.

-------------
Please support The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
1976 Ski Nautique 351 Escort
1993 Ski Nautique purple and black 351 HO PCM

Date Posted: February-06-2020 at 11:09pm

You know, it's funny, sometimes I go on Correct Craft's site and play with the build a nautique thing... it always starts off innocent but eventually I end up trying to make the most hideous looking boat possible. I didn't think they'd actually build one if my abominations.

-------------
Lake James, IN
93 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: February-06-2020 at 11:33pm

That the Jamaican bobsled team?

-------------

River Rat to Mole

Date Posted: February-20-2020 at 4:15pm
I’m gonna tag onto this thread, didn’t MC carry wood stringers into the TriStar evens the PS was composite?

-------------

Date Posted: February-20-2020 at 4:17pm
That would be surprising since the change to composite happened many years before the Tristar (or Prostar) were introduced (mid year 83 change on the Skier aka Stars & Stripes).

Posted By: uk1979
Date Posted: February-24-2020 at 2:08pm
Not an exact match but has stars and is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mastercraft-Jump-Stunt-Film-Boat-very-rare-boat-only-one-outside-of-America/124092227913?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160811114145%26me" rel="nofollow - Mastercraft with a Gary S view on windshields, doubt it will sell over here.

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Date Posted: February-24-2020 at 10:48pm
Very cool. Thx for post

Date Posted: February-25-2020 at 12:08am
Nothing like the wind in your face Roger it's like adding another 100 hp

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: February-25-2020 at 9:21am
Roger, how can you let that one go?

Date Posted: February-25-2020 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Roger, how can you let that one go?

Bruce, I think it’s a young guns boat.. there is no seat at all looks like a squat or on knees stance to drive, as for Gary S wind in your face that’s ok ish, he not saying about picking the flies off your teeth.
Agree it’s a cool boat add a tower of power to become the cats whiskers on any lake, I’m not ready to go to a Master on the dark side.

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Date Posted: February-25-2020 at 8:38pm
One more from the West.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/d/sacramento-1980-mastercraft/7077495598.html

-------------

Date Posted: February-26-2020 at 6:19am
This may be a better match https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-Mastercraft-Pro-Star-190-Ski-Boat-5-7L-V8-Petrol/324084316022?hash=item4b74ee3776:g:mwIAAOSwn1JeKzBE" rel="nofollow - 89 Pro Star lets see what it makes over here.

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Date Posted: March-31-2020 at 5:10pm
https://offerup.com/item/detail/837948670/" rel="nofollow - Seattle 82

Might be more roached than you want and is a long way from home, but is in the right price range.

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: March-31-2020 at 5:20pm
See if Timmy reports in, but I believe this power slot has been filled

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: March-31-2020 at 5:21pm
Thanks CQ... not checking in as much as I used to, so I may have missed the memo

Date Posted: March-31-2020 at 5:27pm
Thanks. We actually picked up our new club boat a week ago... an 85 S&S in all original shape- nicer than we need but a great value and will serve us well. The plan is to swap in a big block next off season.

Date Posted: March-31-2020 at 5:43pm
Tit nipple pink triller, I like it

Date Posted: March-31-2020 at 5:49pm
Not the trailer that came with the boat, sadly... just the best pic I have of the boat.

Date Posted: March-31-2020 at 5:55pm
SAD

Date Posted: March-31-2020 at 9:47pm
Real men would’ve bought purple.

-------------

Date Posted: March-31-2020 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Real men would’ve bought purple.

Word.

-------------
Lake James, IN
93 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: March-31-2020 at 10:46pm
Nice looking boat Tim, looks like you found a clean one. Powerslot tranny?

-------------

Date Posted: March-31-2020 at 11:47pm
No slot

Date Posted: April-01-2020 at 9:46am
You're not gonna be "that guy" that doesn't update your 2 threads on Team Talk are ya?

Or are you looking to start hoarding old Mastercrafts now too?   

Date Posted: April-01-2020 at 10:29am
Haven’t ruled out another project but everyone has a short memory over there... haven’t seen any activity in quite a while.

Date Posted: April-01-2020 at 10:30am
They’re doing the best they can.

Date Posted: April-01-2020 at 10:48am
Nice looking Master Craft. A great stand out for a show boat.

Date Posted: December-01-2020 at 3:27pm
It must be time for an update on this project

Carnac here tells me that he seems to think that this Mastercraft has mysteriously turned into an American Skier Advance Wink

How's that oil pan drain hose clearance issue treating you?

Date Posted: December-01-2020 at 4:55pm
Still planning to get back to the Mastercraft big block swap, but I am in the middle of stuffing a 454 into an Advance... mostly just because we can. I’m curious how the boat performs and skis with the big block- might be a viable cold water boat for us? We have the pan clearing the hull now with just the normal plumbing (exhaust/cooling/fuel) left to do. Might get a water test in this year if the stars align.

Posted By: Kristof
Date Posted: December-01-2020 at 5:21pm

mostly just because we can.

Heck yeah, that's the spirit! Big smile

-------------
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Date Posted: December-01-2020 at 6:00pm
Might even be a good "warm water" boat Wink

Looks like the mufflers are a little long to hook up to those reducers on the risers. It looks like the reducers and maybe the whole engine came from a Supra. 

At least that would be a lefty in a boat that came with a lefty

Like you mentioned elsewhere, it looks like the engine box will be a bit of a challenge.

Nothing you can't handle for sure Wink

I've got a 454 PCM pan with a bung welded on the side of the pan for the same reason (hooking up a drain hose) and the original drain plug is tack welded shut.

Date Posted: December-01-2020 at 6:58pm
Cool project. Those are great looking boats. That PCM fuse cover looks NOS.

Date Posted: December-01-2020 at 7:21pm
It is a lefty... exhaust elbow/reducers need to go in favor of the ones used on a Bfn (much sharper angle), and the repaired mufflers are getting ditched in favor of some 3” stainless pipes. Box actually comes surprisingly close to fitting, just needs a little riser all around and some clearancing up front for the rwp... obviously that wouldn’t be needed for the water test.

I suspect it should run upper 40’s with the big block, we’ll see how the wake and table are. I drove and skied Eddie’s 383 Advance, but only on the boom. This example is pretty rough, certainly wouldn’t feel bad about using it hard and letting it sit wet for extended periods between uses. Things take a while to dry when the days are short and cold. Haven’t quit skiing here yet (we don’t think).

Print Page | Close Window