Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=42981
Printed Date: April-27-2024 at 2:04pm

Topic: Velvet drive slipping in forward
Posted By: dmdmd
Subject: Velvet drive slipping in forward
Date Posted: June-17-2018 at 11:21pm
I do not have a Correct Craft but am hoping someone out there may be able to help.

I have a 1986 Searay 340 Express Cruiser. Port transmission overheated and blew dipstick and sensor plug resulting in a small flash fire. Only charred some wires.

Velvet model #10-18-004 1.52 was rebuilt and a damaged ring gear was replaced.

When it was started (after rebuild) it still had a significant "cluncking" sound in reverse. This was corrected when throttling up and finally by increasing the idle speed by a few hundred rpms. Still had a slight rotation when in forward (it has done since I've owned the boat..3yrs).

Test run seemed to go very well. Next day I was pulling out of dock and noticed port didn't seem to engage in forward, then seemed ok for a short time but then was definitely slipping around 2000-3000 rpm. Returned to dock to take a look....still pretty quiet in idle reverse, noted that there was no rotation when in neutral (for the first time ever). Without changing throttle the rotation speed in reverse was probably 2-3x the rotation speed in forward. Fluids were well monitored during the test the previous day (but didn't check day 2). No apparent leaks.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be happening if this is not a fluid problem?

Thanks for any help!

-------------
Comfortably Numb

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: June-18-2018 at 8:08am
Donn,
Was the cause of the overheat determined and was it corrected? To what extent was the trans rebuilt? What pressure was the pump developing after the rebuild?

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: dmdmd
Date Posted: June-18-2018 at 9:41pm
Thank you for the reply, I do not have the answers but will ask my mechanic.

-------------
Comfortably Numb

Print Page | Close Window