Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40254
Printed Date: April-28-2024 at 6:52pm

Topic: Gas Tank
Posted By: cbcecil
Subject: Gas Tank
Date Posted: November-30-2016 at 7:53pm
Need some advice. My fuel tank gauge on my dash flutters back and forth like crazy. I have a 1982 Mustang. Not sure if it's the gauge or in my tank itself. Has anyone experienced this? What did you find was causing it, and what was the fix? Sure would be nice to tell how much fuel I've used or how much I have left......just sayin'.....! Thanks in advance.

Casey

-------------
cbcecil

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: November-30-2016 at 8:02pm
Casey,
Get the VOM (volt Ohm meter) out. Check and clean all your wiring connections. Make sure you have a decent 12 volt nominal at the gauge and the tank itself has a good ground to the engine. If the gauge is still erratic, pull the sender and check it's resistance through the stroke of the float.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: MACS81SN
Date Posted: November-30-2016 at 8:03pm
The variable resistor that makes up the sending unit probably has some corrosion on the windings or has some open spots from wear. Solution is to replace. If it's original it's lasted a long time. Just make sure the new one has a similar resistance. I don't recall for sure but think they are around 230 ohms or so.   You may have to do some custom bending of the float rod but it's pretty easy.

-------------
Mark

1999 -SN - 502 Python
1981 - SN Owned 33 years - Sold
1968 - Mustang - Sold

Print Page | Close Window