Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40247
Printed Date: May-04-2024 at 5:04pm

Topic: Super Sport Nautique 1996 prop shaft
Posted By: rossl
Subject: Super Sport Nautique 1996 prop shaft
Date Posted: November-30-2016 at 8:04am
Hi, does any body know if my rudder and prop shaft on this boat should be inline or slightly offset, my shaft is about 1/2 to the right of the rudder? It runs fine with no vibration, would it cause damage

I've attached 2 pics

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: November-30-2016 at 8:14am
I suggest checking the strut to see if it's bent. Get some measurements from the chine to the strut base and then to the shaft. Also check your basic engine/trans to log and strut alignment.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: JPASS
Date Posted: November-30-2016 at 8:16am
Doesn't look right to me.

Bent strut?

-------------
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: November-30-2016 at 3:21pm
Don't think this will help because my rudder is not straight I'll be able to get a picture around Christmas if you will still need one--

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: tryathlete
Date Posted: November-30-2016 at 3:37pm
Might be normal. I'll check mine in the next week or so. Offset maybe to overcome prop directional torque. Does that make any sense?

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: November-30-2016 at 3:43pm
An offset in and of itself is not necessarily concerning, several manufacturers used this feature for various reasons. Ease of shaft removal, steering torque, etc.

That said, I do not believe cc purposely built in an offset, at least on the direct drives that I am familiar with (including the NWZ that gave birth to the original SS). It looks like a bent strut to me, though pictures can be deceiving...

Posted By: tryathlete
Date Posted: November-30-2016 at 4:00pm
It does appear to be bent to starboard based on the pic which shows the bottom of the strut to be angled away from vertical.

Posted By: MrMcD
Date Posted: November-30-2016 at 5:12pm
It probably took a hit at some point in it's life.
Unless someone really worked to align the shaft to the engine in this new location I bet the coupler that bolts the shaft to the transmission is worn out.
Does it turn freely when you spin the prop by hand?
If it turns freely and is aligned to the engine, boat drives well maybe you just live with it?

-------------

Posted By: kylem428
Date Posted: December-02-2016 at 10:03am
My 95 super sport also has a slight offset in the same direction and runs smoothly. I'm thinking it may be by design. I'll take a pic tonight.

Kyle

Print Page | Close Window