Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38668
Printed Date: April-28-2024 at 6:52pm

Topic: New 2001 owner
Posted By: Netdewt
Subject: New 2001 owner
Date Posted: May-21-2016 at 2:28am
Today I picked up a 1989 Ski Nautique 2001. I've been a member on this forum for 8 years... Took me a while.

At first I was looking at I/O boats, but ran across this and I couldn't say no. I am a little nervous as a long time boat user, but first time owner and first time using an inboard.

The boat and trailer are both in fantastic shape. 770 hours. Engine starts and runs like a champ. Original upholstery is 90%. There is a stereo installed that needs some cleanup work. It came with a new Acme prop, and the original. I plan on using the original for a bit until I feel comfortable. There is no winch or tie down straps, which I found odd.

I plan to buy a mooring cover from Nautique Parts soon. Does anyone trailer with a cover on?

Any tips? I'd take the encouragement!

EDIT: added pics on water --

-------------
1989 Ski Nautique 2001, 880 hours

Replies:
Posted By: KRoundy
Date Posted: May-21-2016 at 2:49am
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

You know about the FAQ, right? If you have been perusing here for 8 years I bet you know more than you think.

And you know the rules: PICTURES!!!!

1. Put the better Acme prop on there.
2. There are lightweight covers that cannot be used while towing (sometimes called storage, mooring or dust covers) and heavier/more sturdy covers that are made to be on the boat while towing. Lightweight covers keep the sun, dust and bird poop off your boat. And they are usually quite cheap. Towing covers can be quite a few hundred. You decide what you need.
3. Tie-down straps are a state-by-state thing. I live in a state that requires them and even if I did not - I would have them. I want that boat tied down front and rear.

Pictures, pictures, pictures....

-------------
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow

Posted By: KRoundy
Date Posted: May-21-2016 at 2:52am
And - next to your name it says you joined in 2010. Not quite 8 years yet. But, you have been a member longer than me!

Welcome to the owners club!

-------------
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: May-21-2016 at 6:17am
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

And - next to your name it says you joined in 2010. Not quite 8 years yet.

Doesn't mean he wasn't one of those lurker types for a couple years before he joined. I think Jbears brother Bill has the record for lurking before actually signing up.

Congrats on the new to you Ski and since you've been around awhile you are well aware of the rules around here.

Where are the Pics?

Inboards are the bomb and you'll thank yourself later for not buying one sooner!

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: May-21-2016 at 6:21am
Nate,
I too would like to congratulate you on your purchase of the 2001 and now an "official" member of the CCfan family. As Kevin mentioned, the FAQ thread in the maintenance forum is a fantastic resource for many questions but if you can't find an answer there, the group is always around to help.

The trailer is a "drive on" and the reason there's no winch. Many including myself have added winches. There are some areas that prohibit drive on loading since it erodes the ramp bottoms. It's a project you may want to consider.

Yes, pictures are a must!!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-21-2016 at 11:57am

And - next to your name it says you joined in 2010. Not quite 8 years yet. But, you have been a member longer than me!

Hm, yes. I found Craigslist posting emails to my wife in my archives from July 2009. That means I probably was looking around and lurking at least a few months before that. I'm comfortable with 7-8 years since I was "enlightened" about the 2001.

Is the stock prop going to hurt anything? I'm worried about damaging this gorgeous $500 prop.

-------------

Posted By: Jonny Quest
Date Posted: May-21-2016 at 12:05pm
You've done well, lad. From the pics, the boat looks to be in prime shape.

I'd go with the new ACME prop unless you will be boating in unfamiliar waters where bottom strikes are common. A good prop really does make a difference.

JQ

-------------
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: May-21-2016 at 12:24pm
Net,   Congrats and welcome to the glub glub glub Club.
I must say that is an attractive ski boat.

Date Posted: May-21-2016 at 12:45pm
Thanks for the encouragement. This was some of the best condition overall I saw in any boat (early 2000 I/O included) in this price range. It's age worries me some but the simplicity of the drivetrain seems rock solid.

I'll be putting it in lots of lakes I haven't boated, at least this year. At my parents cabin I'll feel more comfortable.

I want to remove those rear speaker boxes, there seems to be no carpet behind part of them. Did something used to be there?

The only open tear is between the spotter seat and corner cushion. Any quick ways to stop more tearing?

Do you all keep your batteries on trickle charge when not in use?

What are some must have tools? Prop remover? Any oil change tools?

The boat doesn't have hooks for rear straps. Just go over the gunnels?

-------------

Posted By: jimsport93
Date Posted: May-21-2016 at 1:22pm
Nate, that is a nice looking boat.
Welcome to the world of CC ownership. You will love that Ski!
As far as the questions:
1) Speaker boxes most likely "home made"
2) Not sure what I can recommend about the tear. Other than ordering a new skin from
   Christine's Marine (site sponsor).
3) I charge the battery at the end of the season as I lay the boat up for winter.
   Make sure you have a "good" battery that will hold a charge. Especially if you just
   bought the boat.
   Then give the battery a charge again before I hit the lake for the first time in the spring.
4) Tools: socket wrench for tightening hoses in order to prevent sucking air (after
    multiple hot/cold running cycle the hose clamps will loosen a bit). Screwdriver, other
    wrenches for tightening alternator and water pump pulleys and belts, etc.

Others will chime in with their thoughts and ideas.

Great looking boat!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2798 - 93 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: May-21-2016 at 1:23pm
Are the rear seat hinges still available anywhere? Mine are missing so the seat slides out.

-------------

Posted By: fanofccfan
Date Posted: May-21-2016 at 1:23pm
From the looks of the pictures I wouldn't be concerned with the age. Looks like it was very well cared for. Nice find!

Date Posted: May-21-2016 at 1:25pm
Not sure about the seat hinges. Mine is a 93
Check ChristinesMarine and Nautique Parts.

-------------

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: May-21-2016 at 1:26pm
Rear straps you'll just have to get creative,below is a pic of how mine was done. A battery maintainer would be good to have not only for occasional use but for winter storage too. A prop puller is a must along with a spare prop if just to save the weekend. A vacuum oil pump is nice to have,you'll find many uses other than just changing engine oil.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: May-21-2016 at 1:42pm
Nice ride
Throw the acme on it and enjoy if it ends up like this order another put the throttle down and smile some more
http://s256.photobucket.com/user/gun-driver/media/95%20Nautique%20pictures/bentshaft001.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: May-21-2016 at 3:12pm
Are the platform supports strong enough?

-------------

Posted By: bb12
Date Posted: May-21-2016 at 3:29pm
Beautiful boat- Congrats and welcome to the '89 Club!!

Date Posted: May-21-2016 at 4:05pm
Personally the straps are there for looks because States require them, all show for the benefit of Officer Fife. If you look at the old school boats,the Nautiques,Cudas, Mustangs they never had straps.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: May-21-2016 at 5:51pm
Just barely fit:

Where can I find a spare wheel?

Pretty clean:

Behind the rear speaker boxes:

Worst upholstery spot:

-------------

Posted By: LeftFieldEngineering
Date Posted: May-21-2016 at 6:23pm
Nice ride, welcome to the club.

Date Posted: May-21-2016 at 7:53pm
Tight fit in the garage for sure but a set of new removeable platform brackets would help you out in that situation.

The carpet behind the speaker boxes was cut to allow that extra 1/8" clearance needed to clear the speaker. The engineer of that modification should just added a spacer to the speaker itself instead of hacking at the carpet. You can just replace the whole sidewall carpet after a beter speaker install is done.

I wouldn't worry too much at the seams coming apart and the minor rips in the vinyl. Its a 27 year old boat so the vinyl is gonna show some wear. Get some 303 or some other protectant on it so as to keep it pliable. You can get several years out of that seat. Mine look like that and it's something that I can live with.

Nice Find!......Ohhhh and it looks to me like it's already got an Acme on it! Question is which one is it? A 540 or a 542?

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Posted By: Dschuh88
Date Posted: May-21-2016 at 9:10pm
Nice looking!!! Good find

Date Posted: May-21-2016 at 10:56pm
Nate,
As far as the spare wheel goes. I found a white wheel at a Northern Tool store here in Georgia. Then spray painted it black. Sourced the chrome trim ring and was good to go.
Not sure where you live, but you should be able to find someone in your area that deals with tools, trailer hitches, trailer wheels, etc.

-------------

Posted By: sport1999
Date Posted: May-21-2016 at 11:20pm
Very nice!

Date Posted: May-22-2016 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Tight fit in the garage for sure but a set of new removeable platform brackets would help you out in that situation.

The carpet behind the speaker boxes was cut to allow that extra 1/8" clearance needed to clear the speaker. The engineer of that modification should just added a spacer to the speaker itself instead of hacking at the carpet. You can just replace the whole sidewall carpet after a beter speaker install is done.

I wouldn't worry too much at the seams coming apart and the minor rips in the vinyl. Its a 27 year old boat so the vinyl is gonna show some wear. Get some 303 or some other protectant on it so as to keep it pliable. You can get several years out of that seat. Mine look like that and it's something that I can live with.

Nice Find!......Ohhhh and it looks to me like it's already got an Acme on it! Question is which one is it? A 540 or a 542?

Who makes removable platform brackets?

I don't think the speaker sticks back that far... I wonder if they tried to do something else then covered it up? Truly, I never would have wanted a radio, but had to overlook this since the rest of the boat was in such good shape. I am brainstorming ideas for what I could put there. Maybe some teak goodie pockets with cupholders, then remove the lame black plastic ones.

It does have an Acme. It says 2068. Purchased through a local inboard dealer, so I would think it's OK. Looks like mostly a longer pitch than the 540 and 542. The seller was trying to make this boat go as fast as possible at 4500 RPM for 1 foot barefooting, but did not succeed.
http://www.propmd.com/acme-2068-12-50-x-15-000-1-bore-0-150-cup-3-blade-rh-propeller.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.propmd.com/acme-2068-12-50-x-15-000-1-bore-0-150-cup-3-blade-rh-propeller.html

-------------

Date Posted: May-22-2016 at 12:23am
Originally posted by jimsport93 jimsport93 wrote:

Nate,
As far as the spare wheel goes. I found a white wheel at a Northern Tool store here in Georgia. Then spray painted it black. Sourced the chrome trim ring and was good to go.
Not sure where you live, but you should be able to find someone in your area that deals with tools, trailer hitches, trailer wheels, etc.

These look very similar, not sure if the same. A plain white wheel is about half the cost though, and it's a spare.
http://www.trailerandtruckparts.com/15-x-6-Matte-Black-Aluminum-Trailer-Wheel-with-Machined-Lip-6x550-Lug-Pattern_p_2283.html#.V0EXXKukT6s" rel="nofollow - http://www.trailerandtruckparts.com/15-x-6-Matte-Black-Aluminum-Trailer-Wheel-with-Machined-Lip-6x550-Lug-Pattern_p_2283.html#.V0EXXKukT6s

Here's another trouble spot I'd like to fill and patch at some point. I'd be fine doing this myself. Would I find the right goop at West Marine or something? It looks much worse underneath vs. otherwise...

Another pic of the trailer fit. It won't always be in there.

-------------

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: May-22-2016 at 12:56am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

And - next to your name it says you joined in 2010. Not quite 8 years yet.

Doesn't mean he wasn't one of those lurker types for a couple years before he joined. I think Jbears brother Bill has the record for lurking before actually signing up.

Bill did lurk for quite awhile but probably not 8 years....

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Date Posted: May-22-2016 at 1:11am
Do not go to West Marine. Find out what the factory color of your boat is and go to Spectrum Color and check with them they might have something very close and if it's a little off it you can tint it. West marine would have something generic like a white and you would get to try and match color. Don't know your skillset do you have a compressor? guns themself can be cheap. Once it on and setup,you'll need to block sand it smooth then you'll need buffing equipment and supplies. Or you could find a place that does gelcoat repair and have them do it.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: May-22-2016 at 1:38am
I have compressors and a buffer. I've worked a little with epoxy, fiberglass, as well as sheetrock mud etc. No experience with boats though.

-------------

Posted By: Sampson 182
Date Posted: May-22-2016 at 1:52am
Welcome to the 2001 boat club I love the color scheme of Black/red/white. Its got to be my favorite next to Grey/blue The boat looks like its in top 10 condition by far. Any issues you see from your first look over?

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique 2001

Date Posted: May-22-2016 at 2:30am
Originally posted by Sampson 182 Sampson 182 wrote:

Welcome to the 2001 boat club I love the color scheme of Black/red/white. Its got to be my favorite next to Grey/blue The boat looks like its in top 10 condition by far. Any issues you see from your first look over?

You call that black? Looks navy blue to me. Maybe the pictures are bad.

My test drive / "sea trial" was seamless. It was quiet, smooth, lots of power. It made the lake feel small. I truly hope the motor is trouble free for me. That is my biggest worry buying a boat older than a few years. The only issues really are cosmetic, and they are pretty minor.

- center bottom of hull needs gel coat
- stereo doesn't work and hangs loose - I'd remove it but there are some holes cut
- horn doesn't work
- lame rear speaker install, definitely removing, need http://www.nautiqueparts.com/carpettrunkliner72widthmonkeyfuzz.aspx" rel="nofollow - carpet (is this it?)
- trailer bunks need some refastening
- some http://www.nautiqueparts.com/hingeseat-motorbox80snautiques.aspx" rel="nofollow - hinges
- one speedometer has bugs in it, see if I can clean
- need a http://www.nautiqueparts.com/skinautiqueandskinautique196closedbowcover.aspx" rel="nofollow - cover

-------------

Posted By: Sampson 182
Date Posted: May-22-2016 at 2:41am
Originally posted by Netdewt Netdewt wrote:

Originally posted by Sampson 182 Sampson 182 wrote:

You call that black? Looks navy blue to me. Maybe the pictures are bad.

My test drive / "sea trial" was seamless. It was quiet, smooth, lots of power. It made the lake feel small. I truly hope the motor is trouble free for me. That is my biggest worry buying a boat older than a few years. The only issues really are cosmetic, and they are pretty minor.

- stereo doesn't work and hangs loose - I'd remove it but there are some holes cut
- horn doesn't work
- lame rear speaker install, definitely removing, need http://www.nautiqueparts.com/carpettrunkliner72widthmonkeyfuzz.aspx" rel="nofollow - carpet (is this it?)
- trailer bunks need some refastening
- some http://www.nautiqueparts.com/hingeseat-motorbox80snautiques.aspx" rel="nofollow - hinges
- one speedometer has bugs in it, see if I can clean
- need a http://www.nautiqueparts.com/skinautiqueandskinautique196closedbowcover.aspx" rel="nofollow - cover

Looks black on my computer. Check your rudder and Shaft packing as mine needed to be adjusted when I first put mine in, leaked like crazy. That being said that's one heck of a fine looking boat! Congratulations to you and I hope it gives you years of trouble free service! Oh and try like the devil to keep it original. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique 2001

Posted By: IAughtNaut
Date Posted: May-22-2016 at 4:19am
Some of this may be obvious, but I'd rather say something you already know than be quiet while there's a chance you could make a costly mistake

My test drive / "sea trial" was seamless.

"sea trial" is just slang right? if you plan to use in salt water you will need to flush the engine meticulously. they're not made for that.

Once you fix it, don't drive it up on the beach like the PO or that will come back

Keep some of the gel you use to patch the bottom if its gel holes, otherwise don't let that keep you off the water. I've seen plenty of good running boats with a hole in the dash or a spot of bad carpet

- horn doesn't work

air horn, $10 fix, makes you legal, gets you on the water

cool boat, looks like a great find, congrats and welcome

-------------
bring the ruckus
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5347" rel="nofollow - 2000 Pro Air

Posted By: IAughtNaut
Date Posted: May-22-2016 at 4:23am
and don't worry about that "rip" in the upholstery, its super rare that a hole in a seat sinks a boat. I had a roll and half of duck tape for a back seat for two years and it never stopped me from skiing once

color matching isn't just for gel though, they sell white duck tape. I'm pretty sure I still have a piece covering a 66mph gelcoat hole in CT somewhere.

-------------
bring the ruckus
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5347" rel="nofollow - 2000 Pro Air

Date Posted: May-22-2016 at 9:32am
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

Some of this may be obvious, but I'd rather say something you already know than be quiet while there's a chance you could make a costly mistake

My test drive / "sea trial" was seamless.

"sea trial" is just slang right? if you plan to use in salt water you will need to flush the engine meticulously. they're not made for that.

Yeah. That's what a sailor I know called it. No saltwater anywhere near me. The boat has never left MN/WI, as far as I can tell.

The seller already had an airhorn in the boat. Good to go.

I just listed things I see needing attention someday.

The speaker and stereo holes are in the rear sidewall carpet, in the upholstery behind the throttle lever and opposite, and in the dash for the head unit.

-------------

Posted By: H2oXtremes
Date Posted: May-22-2016 at 10:36am
Cover I bought for my boat last year, very light weight cost me about $500.00 and its trailerable

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/uploads/6934/20150909_211500358_iOS_2.jpg" rel="nofollow - Cover

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/uploads/6934/20150909_211538606_iOS.jpg" rel="nofollow - Cover

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/uploads/6934/20150909_170945104_iOS.jpg" rel="nofollow - Cover

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/uploads/6934/20150909_211606652_iOS.jpg" rel="nofollow - Tie Down

-------------
1985 Ski Nautique 2001

Date Posted: May-22-2016 at 11:07am
Whoops ....I forgot that the 89 went to a 1 to 1:23 tranny so it wouldn't be a 540 or 542. The 2068 seems a bit pitchy to me but trbenj is the prop guru around here so he'll chime in with what should be on there for what you wanna use the boat for.

Platform brackets can be purchased here.......

http://www.nautiqueparts.com/platformbracketset82-89.aspx" rel="nofollow - Removeable Platform Brackets

The horn can be replaced or could be a simple task of making sure its cleaned up and wiring checks out.

To each his own on the stereo but its already there so if it we me I would replace it. Definitely go with marine grade speakers but I've always just dropped in a non marine head unit. I've been out on the water at sunset many a times with the girl of the month having a cocktail and listening to some Kenny Chesney or Buffet. It is a nice addition to have on the boat IMHO but I'd definitely replace the rear boxes. A guy on a now defunct 2001 website came up with a cool speaker box that incorporated a cup holder. He made a frame, pulled a Tshirt across it, epoxied it up, covered it in glass then carpeted it. Really cool addition to his boat.

-------------

Posted By: lewy2001
Date Posted: May-22-2016 at 11:24am
The 2068 is just a 470 with more cup. Would not be my first choice for a 89 but should work OK.

-------------
If you're going through hell, keep going

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Date Posted: May-22-2016 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

The 2068 is just a 470 with more cup. Would not be my first choice for a 89 but should work OK.

What would be?

-------------

Posted By: Fabcon
Date Posted: May-22-2016 at 1:57pm
Very nice looking boat

-------------
1976 Ski Nautique 351 Escort
1984 Barefoot Nautique (Parting Out)

Posted By: GlassSeeker
Date Posted: May-22-2016 at 3:04pm
So the black is really blue?...the trailer is blue?...the black side and the strip on the interior is not black !?😯

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: May-22-2016 at 4:45pm
My wife agrees it's black. I'm just weird. Looked like dark dark blue to me. Either way it's nice.

I could foresee wanting to remove the decals on the hull to clean up the look a bit. If that was done, would there just be a nice black stripe left? Or is the gel coat under the decals a wild card?

First family cruise this morning! I definitely can see what people mean by the performance in chop, going into the wind, but it doesn't really bother me, and it's no different than a small fishing boat.

My wife loves the rear facing seat, the kids love the engine compartment and getting splashed in the back seat.

I'm putting the Acme back on for sure. Lots of vibration with the old stocker.

-------------

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: May-23-2016 at 10:44am
Congrats ! The 2001 club is a club you'll join and never leave. If you do you'll be back some day. Did that boat perhaps come out of Warsaw Indiana ?

Date Posted: May-23-2016 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Congrats ! The 2001 club is a club you'll join and never leave. If you do you'll be back some day. Did that boat perhaps come out of Warsaw Indiana ?

I don't think so. I can look through the records, but it has been on Lake Minnetonka and in Wisconsin somewhere for most of its life.

-------------

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: May-23-2016 at 1:03pm
Ahh cool. Now that I think the one for sale down here might have been grey hull not white.

Date Posted: May-23-2016 at 10:50pm
Did they switch to single exhaust in 87?

The hull scratches from beaching are mostly cosmetic, right? Is there any reason to believe they will cause water to get into wood parts of the hull?

I saw a YouTube video of a guy doing a high speed spin out in a 2001. Is there a danger of flipping the boat or over revving the engine doing this?

-------------

Posted By: DVskier
Date Posted: May-23-2016 at 11:16pm
Single exhaust came in 1989. Hard to flip but anything is possible.

Date Posted: May-23-2016 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

Single exhaust came in 1989. Hard to flip but anything is possible.

Interesting. Any idea the reason? Doesn't matter, just seems odd to change that in the last year of production. I have a single pane windshield and the different trans too.

I looked through my documents. It looks like I am the 5th owner, originally delivered to a dealer in Long Lake, MN. All documents are in state.

-------------

Posted By: spiralhelix
Date Posted: May-24-2016 at 12:42am
Congrats on the new boat!!!!!

I love that your stripe colors are opposite of me.

and if you need more room in the garage, we added a swing away tongue, but did require some front end modifications.

Posted By: spiralhelix
Date Posted: May-24-2016 at 12:46am
wasn't the single exhaust due to the use of the invertaflo muffler?

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: May-24-2016 at 12:55am
There were a handful of changes for 89

Date Posted: May-24-2016 at 1:01am
The reference section is a great resource for this type of info. Ignore the highlighted quote read the rest of article it explains the changes done in 89.

-------------

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

Date Posted: May-24-2016 at 11:32am
I like.

I started taking out the stereo. I think I'm going to make some teak "junk" pockets in the back to cover the carpet holes. I don't want to deal with recarpeting right now. The old speakers aren't going to work. I want a clean classic looking headunit. That seems hard to find.

The depth finder is a thru hull unit - the epoxy came unglued. Once I fix that it should be good to go.

-------------

Date Posted: May-24-2016 at 11:45am

I like.

I started taking out the stereo. I think I'm going to make some teak "junk" pockets in the back to cover the carpet holes. I don't want to deal with recarpeting right now. The old speakers aren't going to work. I want a clean classic looking headunit. That seems hard to find.

The depth finder is a thru hull unit - the epoxy came unglued. Once I fix that it should be good to go.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/231851653305?_mwBanner=1" rel="nofollow - This is the head unit I just bought for my '89. I think it's clean looking and has USB and aux inputs. My dilemma is trying to figure out where to put a 10" sub.

Date Posted: May-24-2016 at 3:04pm
I like this Fusion unit. It's fully enclosed and looks nice and simple. But not cheap at $250.

-------------

Posted By: Russman
Date Posted: May-24-2016 at 5:29pm
Nice looking 2001. I am partial as you have the same color scheme as I.

You will like the 422 prop if you go that way.

-------------
1989 2001 SN / Prior 1978 Cobalt 18

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: May-24-2016 at 8:03pm
I found the 422 prop to be a bit too much for my '89. That could be the 1100 hours though.

I am satisfied with the 1442, has good response at wakeboard speed.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: May-25-2016 at 1:41am
http://www.nautiqueparts.com/sternlightpoleallnautiquesfrom1993-2000.aspx

Is this the correct stern/anchor light? Looks quite short in the pic.

-------------

Date Posted: May-25-2016 at 2:02am
I think the picture is compressed. That is a Perko part number,the description in their catalog says it's 3 feet long

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: May-25-2016 at 10:45am
I have to say you guys are all awesome. I know I have tons of questions...

Email to Acme:
Quote I have a 2068 prop on the boat I just bought. Is this ideal? I'd like to a mix of ski/wakeboard/tube/cruising. General all purpose prop is what I want. Previous owner (bought the 2068) was trying to barefoot on 1 foot.

Response:
Quote Hi Nate, Acme 2068…nice prop for your boat spec and skiing profile…

-------------

Date Posted: May-25-2016 at 11:27am
[QUOTE=Netdewt]

Response:
[QUOTE]Hi Nate, Acme 2068…nice prop for your boat spec and skiing profile…
Nate,
Please note the response states "skiing profile" There is NO mention of tubes!!! You should know better than to mention the T word!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-25-2016 at 11:33am

Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

What would be?

My first choice would be a 422 second choice 1442 and third choice a 470 if primary use was all round water sports and not loading the boat up a lot.

If it were for a loaded boat I would reverse the order of preference 470 1442 422

Your current Acme 2068 is the same spec as a 470 (12.5" dia 15" pitch) but with a bit more cup (0.150 the 470 has 0.105 cup). They normally add cup to try and bring the rpm down at WOT to keep the engine in it's working rpm band.

Considering you already have the 2068 it should work just fine, much better than the factory cast prop supplied.

Get some GPS speed numbers and rpm with the ACME 2068 and post.

-------------

Date Posted: May-25-2016 at 11:44am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

You should know better than to mention the T word!!

Oh but there will be tubes! I have 3 kiddos.

-------------

Date Posted: May-25-2016 at 11:47am
so?

Date Posted: May-25-2016 at 12:12pm
I have to admit, I use tubes as well........

they make a great platform to anchor a rider with a camera to get some nice shots while wakeboarding and skiing.

I am thinking that as we develop new tubes that a notice needs to be added to each product that reads "only to be used in the event there is no smooth water around!"

-------------

Date Posted: May-25-2016 at 12:14pm

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

You should know better than to mention the T word!!

Oh but there will be tubes! I have 3 kiddos.

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

so?

Yes, so what???? Maybe you should take a look at this thread:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14181&title=get-the-kids-out-on-the-water" rel="nofollow - Get the kids out on the water and teach them a talent instead of a senseless activity that beats their brains out and screws up the water for others

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-25-2016 at 12:14pm
Keith St. Onge taught his daughter to ski and she is only 6 months old.

Date Posted: May-25-2016 at 7:04pm
I asked Acme what they recommend for a wakeboard focused prop:
Quote …4-blade Acme 1868 prop (12.5 x 14.25 .075 cup) R 1” bore…

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Keith St. Onge taught his daughter to ski and she is only 6 months old.

I'd never put my 2 year old out by herself...

I've been trying to teach my 8 and 7 year olds the last few summers, but they are too afraid once the boat is moving and they are out by themselves.

Fine with me if people here don't like tubes. I do, and that's not changing.

-------------

Date Posted: May-25-2016 at 7:26pm
I had my girls on kneeboards since they were 5. You might wanna try that route or get a ski skimmer to get the kids on the water. We can't prevent you not tubing only encourage you to introduce your kids to true watersports. You'll catch grief here from many as to get the kids on anything else but a tube.
I've taught many to ski, kneeboard and wakeboard and usually a newcomer to the sport will ask if I have one. " Nope, this is a SKI Nautique.....it was designed for SKIING and other watersports, If you wanna tube you'll have to find a Tube Nautique!" After the disappointment and introduction of a kneeboard...they loved the idea, loved the sport, wore them out and they THANKED me for not having a tube because they had so much fun learning a SKILL!

Tube if you must but please do us a favor and do it where the water is rough and have your fun. Be courteous to those who are skiing, or boarding. Let them have the calm water to enjoy what they love to do. Must tubers want the rough bouncy ride in the first place so why mess up calm smooth water for those who need it.

...and for the record....those 5 year old daughters of mine are now 17 and 20 and hate tubers just as much as their Dad because they wanna kneeboard, ski and wakeboard, without knocking out their teeth from the rough water cause by boats doing S turns and Doughnuts from boats pulling tubes.

So YES...... we hate them!

Watch the video of his daughter skiing.....her safety was first and foremost and had people lining the tow ( done by hand NOT by boat) in case she fell! NEVER to young to start skiing.

-------------

Date Posted: May-25-2016 at 7:50pm
https://www.facebook.com/cnninternational/videos/10154161211514641/" rel="nofollow - Start'em young!

Posted By: 74Wind
Date Posted: May-25-2016 at 8:29pm
Tim: don't beat around the bush, tell us how you really feel....

You remember chastising 2 sketchy looking dudes at my gas dock for having a tube, telling them to try a real sport?

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Date Posted: May-25-2016 at 10:37pm
Wakes are a fact of life... Don't wakeboard boats make big wakes too? I don't hate on fishermen taking up space just because I don't enjoy fishing. I do get quite annoyed with the wakeboard yachts blasting crappy music all day.

Tubing isn't a sport, but kids like it. I'm pretty stoked about my new boat, and you guys have been great, but hating on harmless fun because it's not enjoyable for you is not my thing.

-------------

Posted By: 74Wind
Date Posted: May-25-2016 at 10:52pm
I was just goofing on tim, but if you got kids into the other stuff bet the tube would quickly gather dust...

Agreed, wake boats are the scourge of mankind, hate 'em more than anything on the water.......

Fishermen mostly just bother me cause they hang out under the bridges and clog passage.....but a little LPSL echo dawdling under there is sweet revenge...

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Date Posted: May-25-2016 at 11:02pm

Wakes are a fact of life... Don't wakeboard boats make big wakes too?

but hating on harmless fun because it's not enjoyable for you is not my thing.

Yes, wakeboarding does produce big wakes but unlike the typical tuber, they don't follow a erratic course creating a multi direction wake chop.

"harmless fun" ? Try skiing with one or more tubers out on the lake.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-25-2016 at 11:59pm
Does my castle nut need to be tight against the prop? I'm reinstalling the Acme, but the open spaces don't quite line up.

-------------

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: May-26-2016 at 12:16am
Just torque it to spec & then back off to nearest slot. If the prop is properly lapped, the taper should hold it tight.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: May-26-2016 at 11:32am
I moat likely look at tubes much differently than most on this board.

As a recreation tool to get people on the water, I fully support tubes use and those that enjoy the activity - When done properly. My company is very in-bedded in the marine water-sport industry and yes, we distribute tubes of all sizes. The negative for tubes is that they are a liability hazard as there are more "accidents" that occur from their use than all other towed activities combined. Those accidents occur usually due to unsafe towing and not being aware of the surroundings and the potential to hit other objects on the water or on-shore.

Tim, most here are teasing you about tubes. You are right.

Skiers dislike tubing that churns the glass conditions,
Fisherman dislike skiers that blast noise and wakes through their prize fishing spots.

All in all, what is important is that we get people out on the water and enjoying the sport and recreation that we all do.

Cheers!

-------------

Date Posted: May-26-2016 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Russman Russman wrote:

The negative for tubes is that they are a liability hazard as there are more "accidents" that occur from their use than all other towed activities combined. Those accidents occur usually due to unsafe towing and not being aware of the surroundings and the potential to hit other objects on the water or on-shore!

http://dwklaw.com/water-tubing-accidents/" rel="nofollow - The accident rate is so bad that there are law firms who specialize in the field Plus, it's really sad how many young children are injured. .

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: shierh
Date Posted: May-26-2016 at 12:49pm
I defended a suit against a HOA in south florida involving someone pulling a tub and slammed the kids into the sea wall.   attorney said we should have kept the barnies cleaned from the seawall.   This was about the most ridiculous contention iv seen in the last 20 years.   

Date Posted: May-26-2016 at 1:18pm
The suits we have seen have been incredulous. Problem is that so many states run jury and / or the cost to defend is so large that you settle to make the overall process as least of an economic issue as possible.

I feel for those that are injured as many times it is not their fault but the driver error. i also believe that if the product a company puts out fails and injures a user then the manufacturer should take responsibility, however, in nearly all the cases that is not the case in the frivolous suits we see.

-------------

Date Posted: May-26-2016 at 1:56pm
Tubing is not a sport.

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: May-26-2016 at 2:25pm
boobs are better then toobs

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: May-26-2016 at 2:38pm
always Lube before Tube.

Posted By: JPASS
Date Posted: May-26-2016 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

boobs are better then toobs

truer words have never been spoken.

-------------
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique

Date Posted: May-26-2016 at 3:01pm
only newbs like tubes

Posted By: AAM196
Date Posted: May-26-2016 at 3:19pm
Smoking doobs and pulling tubes...

Date Posted: May-26-2016 at 3:38pm
You are correct, however it is a recreation activity that brings people to the watersport industry that otherwise may never enjoy those activities.

We host a group of autistic and downs kids every year that cannot enjoy the boating experience other than being towed on or in a tube. The smiles on their faces as they enjoy themselves is proof that there is a place for everything.

-------------

Date Posted: May-26-2016 at 3:43pm
Inflatables with boobs are way better then toobs

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: May-26-2016 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Russman Russman wrote:

We host a group of autistic and downs kids every year that cannot enjoy the boating experience other than being towed on or in a tube. The smiles on their faces as they enjoy themselves is proof that there is a place for everything.

Posted By: AAM196
Date Posted: May-26-2016 at 4:40pm
I don't think tubing is the gateway to watersking... I wouldn't be sad if our lakes became less populated either...

Date Posted: May-26-2016 at 4:59pm
Tubing is the gateway to nothing. Perhaps it is even a reversion.

Posted By: shierh
Date Posted: May-26-2016 at 5:21pm
True poser cuts down a sport or activity.
I went to college with Rick Anderson, look him up.
He was always #1 or 2 (3 event) in the us in AWSA Nationals.   We use to tube at school and wore jump helmets because we got crazy with 2 behind the boat.

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: May-26-2016 at 5:40pm
Our lake association is toying with a regulation to not require a spotter if you have a mirror. I doubt it will pass the board, but it did make it through the lakes and dams committee that I sit on. It is a local rule to need a spotter. NC rules are spotter or mirror. But our proposed rule says you still need a spotter for tubing since most tube drivers are rookies and need to focus on their job and most tube riders are young kids, and because tubers are out there when the lake is packed and because tubers tend to operate recklessly. I hope it passes, it will make my life easier for those quick evening or early weekend morning runs, not to try to track down a spotter. the new rule might affect about 6 of us on the lake, if that.

-------------

Date Posted: May-26-2016 at 5:51pm
Tubing, like surfing, is wildly popular because it requires little to no talent or effort, what bothers me the most about both is they leave such a giant "footprint" if you will, or have the greatest impact, I truly believe both are giving watersports somewhat of a bad rep.
I have taught countless kids & people to ski/board/etc. in my day and in the end it is far more rewarding for that person to come away with a new skill at the end of the day.
I would be willing to bet a majority here spent time riding or pulling tubes at some point in their life, like anything else sometimes you learn from your mistakes.

-------------

Date Posted: May-26-2016 at 5:52pm
Hey good luck Larry. That rule was written by some true posers!

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: May-26-2016 at 6:15pm
Just call me "Poser".

What cracks me up about surfing, is that they feel it takes a $140000 boat that you need to take a mortgage out on to do it. Since surfing is slow and dull and takes no talent, just skip the surfing part, buy an old used tuner for $3000 and drink your beer and play your tunes on that. I think I mentioned it once before, that my boat cost less than the speakers, not the sound system, but the speakers on a tricked out G23 at the local dealer. I don't think its bragging or a huge stretch to say I've got and demonstrate considerably more talent behind my 16 ft 40 year old boat than anyone who gets behind that G. I tend to pay more attention to whats happening behind the boat than the boat itself. The other day WLM posted a photo of their latest sale, a G25, Just for grins I imposed a to-scale image of my boat over it.

-------------

Date Posted: May-26-2016 at 6:39pm
Agree with you 110% Larry. Trouble is now days it's not talent that is looked up to but appearance. Case in point the kardashians. Not to mention oh look I can play the radio real loud---

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: desertskier
Date Posted: May-26-2016 at 6:56pm
You guys are violating the Planet Nautique site "TERMS OF USE".

" Show respect to other people using this board. No personal attacks or insults are allowed."

You are only allowed to compliment the people that took out a $150K mortgage to buy their awesome boat that use it for no talent required thurfing, pulling tubes, looking and sounding cool etc...

Whoops! wrong site. Please proceed with your comments.

Posted By: GlassSeeker
Date Posted: May-26-2016 at 6:57pm
Tubing is fine as long as each ride ends in the ejection of all tube riders from tube...that's how you teach kids about tubing...you are at the mercy of the boat driver...dont you want a handle now? And to be able to steer yourself?

-------------
This is the life

Posted By: Blamey
Date Posted: May-26-2016 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Just call me "Poser".

What cracks me up about surfing, is that they feel it takes a $140000 boat that you need to take a mortgage out on to do it. Since surfing is slow and dull and takes no talent,

I don't think that surfing takes no talent. There are very skilled people doing the sport and doing things most of us will never be able to do. I do agree that it is slow and dull.

I do wonder what this new https://vimeo.com/166891506" rel="nofollow - Kelly Slater Wave costs to create and run (how many G25s would it take to buy and operate one, what does one wave cost). That wave is infinitely better then what you get behind a boat.

-------------
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme

Print Page | Close Window