Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38566
Printed Date: April-28-2024 at 1:47am

Topic: steering cable
Posted By: shadow
Subject: steering cable
Date Posted: May-05-2016 at 2:59pm
I have a 1978 ski tique, I am getting ready to install a new steering cable and just wondered if you have to remove the fuel tank to do it, the floor section behind the motor is glassed in and access looks a little tight around the rudder area, thanks!

-------------
shadow

Replies:
Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: May-05-2016 at 3:14pm
If someone glassed that panel down you may need to pull the tank. The carpet may not have been cut originally, but that panel wasn't glassed down. I assume you've looked and can't access the rudder and clamp block easily with the tank in place?

Posted By: va-river-tique
Date Posted: May-05-2016 at 3:23pm
Without being able to remove the floor behind the motor (even removing the gas tank), it will be challenging to remove the block clamp bolts to get the steering cable removed/installed. There is a support tube that the steering cable runs thru that gets clamped down on the block clamp with bolts. This block clamp is bolted to the stringer. You may not be able to see this with the floor still on. I just replaced one on my 77 Tique.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2687" rel="nofollow - Tique
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=9750" rel="nofollow - Silver

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: May-05-2016 at 3:31pm
Yup, its going to be a stretch to reach the clamp block even with the tank out as evidenced by these two photos of my tique. It's a ways in front of the back edge of the floor

-------------

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: May-05-2016 at 5:14pm
I glassed in the panel in my Tique and was able to R&R the strut after my son did the job on it. It was tight but I really didn't have a problem even without removing the fuel tank. I was even able to do it myself by holding the strut bolts in place with a piece of wood cut to length. I however will admit I have some pretty thin arms!!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-05-2016 at 5:22pm
was this panel glassed in from the factory? or was this something you did to make it stronger.

-------------
shadow

Posted By: NCH20SKIER
Date Posted: May-05-2016 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Yup, its going to be a stretch to reach the clamp block even with the tank out as evidenced by these two photos of my tique. It's a ways in front of the back edge of the floor

Sorry Larry, that bilge sure does not look like Eddies

-------------
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Date Posted: May-05-2016 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I glassed in the panel in my Tique and was able to R&R the strut after my son did the job on it. It was tight but I really didn't have a problem even without removing the fuel tank. I was even able to do it myself by holding the strut bolts in place with a piece of wood cut to length. I however will admit I have some pretty thin arms!!
   was this panel glassed in from the factory or did you do it to make it stronger?

-------------
shadow

Date Posted: May-05-2016 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by shadow shadow wrote:

was this panel glassed in from the factory or did you do it to make it stronger?

I glassed in the panel in my Tique
   It was for appearance.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: May-05-2016 at 8:05pm
"appearance" ???     Wouldn't that be a non-original point deduction ?

What I have noticed is the bad word count goes way down with the rear floor panel taken out.

Date Posted: May-05-2016 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

"appearance" ???     Wouldn't that be a non-original point deduction ?

Al,
You caught me!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Print Page | Close Window