Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37617
Printed Date: May-17-2024 at 12:47am

Topic: prop puller
Posted By: Duane in Indy
Subject: prop puller
Date Posted: November-04-2015 at 3:55pm
While reading thru the archives I came across a thread on prop pullers, I obtained permission from the originator to reproduce the puller. I was needing to remove my prop so I made a prototype and it removed my prop that had been on for 20 plus years (I just purchased the boat) These are set up for 1" and 1 1/8 shafts in 3 or 4 blade configuration. I am willing to offer these to the members for $115. +shpg. Also shown is the nylock 3/4-10 castellated nut, brass key and s/s cotter pin, also available as a separate package for $15 +shpg or $125+shpg for complete pckg.   

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: November-04-2015 at 5:36pm
Duane,
That puller sure looks familiar! Nice job.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: November-04-2015 at 5:46pm
This would probably be more appropriate in the parts for sale section... But either way, you may want to include a few additional details:

-how thick is the pulling flange? Ie, how much prop to strut clearance is required to use the puller?

-will this puller work on acme props, most of which have a fair amount of rake and whose blade tips extend forward quite a bit? (The few pullers I have tried of this style come into contact with acme blade tips before touching the prop hub).

Posted By: Duane in Indy
Date Posted: November-04-2015 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

This would probably be more appropriate in the parts for sale section... But either way, you may want to include a few additional details:

-how thick is the pulling flange? Ie, how much prop to strut clearance is required to use the puller?

-will this puller work on acme props, most of which have a fair amount of rake and whose blade tips extend forward quite a bit? (The few pullers I have tried of this style come into contact with acme blade tips before touching the prop hub).

The thickness is approx. 3/4". I will try it on an Acme tomorrow. Pulled a Michigan today. Like I stated, this is the prototype and may need tweaked. Still need to try on a 4 blade also. If interest is out there then I can alter to suit the need. Otherwise I have a nice puller for my personal needs. Again, thanks to Pbrainard for the original design He gets all the credit.     Thanks. for looking.

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: November-04-2015 at 7:08pm
When optimizing prop to strut clearance, I aim for 1/4" and tell others to shoot for 1/2". 3/4" is a bit excessive even on a stock boat. Something to think about! Curious to hear if it works on an acme...

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: November-04-2015 at 7:13pm
Tim,
Duane patterned his puller off mine. I can't speak exactly on his dimensions but I can on mine. The flange (actually 2 flanges) on mine is 1/2" so you do need 1/2 between the strut and prop hub. Mine does work on Acme's but I did find out about the blade tips extending forward. A quick chucking up in the lathe to turn the OD down solved the issue.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Print Page | Close Window