Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35580
Printed Date: April-29-2024 at 6:46am

Topic: Aussie with 90mdl ski
Posted By: Bathmagic
Subject: Aussie with 90mdl ski
Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 8:40am
Hi guys,
I found this forum today, it's great to see the enthusiasm you all show for your boats!

Yesterday we have pruchased our first ski nautique, it's a 1990 so she's seen a few nicer days.
It's the end of summer here, we have a couple more weeks of fun coming and then it's tear down and restore time !

I'm a spray painter by trade and have restored more than a few cars so I'm quite excited with the idea of taking an older boat, restoring it while adding in some more modern features.

I will be asking some questions along along the way about where to get parts and how to approach a few things so I thank you in advance for taking the time to answer what may seem a simple question.
Hoping to post some pics next week once the boat arrives home.
Until then I will keep reading and drooling at some of the lovely machines you guys have.

Thanks Dale

Replies:
Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 10:21am
Congrats!

-------------

Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 10:22am
Thank you !

Posted By: lewy2001
Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 10:42am
Where abouts in Oz???

-------------
If you're going through hell, keep going

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 11:07am
Careful what you call old around here. Welcome!

-------------

Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 6:54pm
Haha very true Hollywood, although I have hit that 40 years myself..... I'm based in Victoria lewy

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 7:05pm
I was referring to the boat.

-------------

Posted By: Toertel
Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 7:16pm
Welcome and remember:
Pics or it didn't happen

-------------
1994 Sport Nautique

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 7:45pm
Dale,
Welcome and as mentioned, we want pictures!!

I see you are a spray painter. Please don't get any ideas about painting the boat. A wet sand and buff typically will bring back the gel to better than original. If there is damage and lots of deep spider cracking, then consider a re gel.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by Bathmagic Bathmagic wrote:

I'm based in Victoria lewy

Another Mexican   

Get some pictures up of that NWZ Ski. I wonder if it is the one Chopper imported?

I remember when I could almost track every early Correct Craft in Aus. But when the $Aus and $US got closer the surge of imports was incredible. It has slowed down now with the dollar back in the 70 cents range.

-------------

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 11:51pm
Pic will be in a week to week and half when I go back to NSW to pick it up.

The gel coat is. It really good on it, I'm very firmiliar with working on gel oat however there are a number of blisters, chips holes etc and a full repair and paint will be in order.

I'm going to keep it standard looking even down to the original decals as we love the look

Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 11:55pm

The gel coat is. It really good on it, I'm very firmiliar with working on gel oat however there are a number of blisters, chips holes etc
Then do a gel match repair!

paint will be in order.

I'm going to keep it standard looking even down to the original decals as we love the look

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 11:57pm
What's the issue with a full re spray in paint rather than doing the old school repairs with gel coat, please note there is a lot of repairs on the hull.

I do have a pic but how do I post it?
I have loaded it to this site but how do I add it to a post ?

Date Posted: March-21-2015 at 12:04am
Sorted !

There she is fellas

The only thing I will change it where the hull has the grey I will do that black and redo the trim in white instead of the grey.

Date Posted: March-21-2015 at 3:08am
The gelcoat looks fine in the picture...but it always does in pictures...

Get some pics of the repairs but it does look restorable from that one picture.

-------------

Date Posted: March-21-2015 at 4:00am
The boat is actually in quite a good state, it's solid and runs a treat.

I will order a skin set from Christine's marine in a few weeks, new carpet and upgrade the stereo.
Given we have 4 kids we may add a tower to keep things out of the boat.
He trailer will require the front cut off, remade and then a complete sand blasting before re spraying and some carpet board added on the front section to make getting the boat on and off safer.

I am so in love with the classic shape of these boats, I can see why your all so obsessed !
Lewy2001, is there a get together or regatta for Natique owners like they have in the USA ......or is it just you and I ?

Date Posted: March-21-2015 at 8:05am

What's the issue with a full re spray in paint rather than doing the old school repairs with gel coat, please note there is a lot of repairs on the hull.

Gel repair is certainly not "old school" but considered an art form. Yes, paint has vastly improved over the years but is still just a thin coating. It's considered by many to be just an easy cover up of what's hiding below. A scratch in gel can be fixed easier than a scratch in paint. I do not consider painting over gel to be a true restoration.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Kristof
Date Posted: March-21-2015 at 9:13am
Comforting to know that Pete will always steer us in the right direction

I had that same discussion a few years ago... After listening to the more enlightened ones on this forum, decided to wetsand, repair and buff the gelcoat. Didn't regret it for a nanosecond!

But, in the end, as also said quite a few times on this forum, it's your boat and you have to do what you think is best for you...

-------------
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: March-21-2015 at 10:19am
Please.
Don't.
Paint.

Welcome!

Date Posted: March-21-2015 at 11:16am
I think I may re adjust my original comments I will be modernising the boat rather than restoring which is to attempt to match the factory Finnish.

I personally manufacture products and deal with gel coat and resin in high volume, given I have more experience than most in these fields for my situation I feel a quality 2 pack paint will suit my needs.

I hope this doesn't offend any of the purest restoration guys here, I understand the dedication required after all my beginning of work was a coach builder where we would roll panels for cars up on wheels by hand.

Each to their own and I hope you enjoy what I create for my family , after all boating is for the family which is my priority!

Date Posted: March-26-2015 at 8:46am
Picked her up tonight, 9 hrs of driving but it's worth it.

Pics tomorrow in the daylight

Date Posted: March-27-2015 at 10:34pm
I'm haven issues loading pics off the phone.

Can someone tell me from the ID tag on the motor the serial number begins with a 302, does this mean the motor is a 302 not a 351.
If not how do I tell if it's 302 or a 351 ?

Also how is the best way to check the transmission fluid levels, and if I need to adjust what oil goes in them?

Thanks Guys

Print Page | Close Window