Print Page | Close Window

help, changing gear oil

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: General Correct Craft Discussion
Forum Name: Common Questions
Forum Discription: Visit here first for common questions regarding your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34287
Printed Date: April-28-2024 at 6:37pm

Topic: help, changing gear oil
Posted By: DayTony
Subject: help, changing gear oil
Date Posted: July-31-2014 at 2:29pm
1988 BFN 454 1:1 Borg warner gear
I am changing the oil in the gear which the manual suggests dex III atf. so that is what i will be putting back in.
i pull the dipstick out and go to put it back in and there is no positive lock on the cover at all. please take a look at these pictures and tell me if i have the wrong dipstick, the wrong tube adaptor, or if something is missing. my other boat does not have a setup like this but it locks into place.
Thanks in advance.
ALSO how much atf can i expect the gear to take?

Replies:
Posted By: backfoot100
Date Posted: July-31-2014 at 2:43pm
That's the right dipstick.
If you put it in and give the T-handle a turn it should snug up the rubber gasket to the inside diameter of the dipstick tube. You might have to hold the top part of the dipstick while you turn the handle but it'll snug up.
The tranny should take about a quart and a half of fluid.

-------------
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: July-31-2014 at 3:22pm
Looks like it WAS the right dipstick, but the rubber piece looks busted (which is why it won't tighten). I'd invest in a new one.

1.5-2qts is about right, err on the high side for sure.

Posted By: backfoot100
Date Posted: July-31-2014 at 3:36pm
I know some of these guys are like frggin' detectives when they see a pic. I'm not one of them as a rule.
Tim is right now that I look at it again. Looks like the rubber stopper on the dipstick is missing.

-------------
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Date Posted: July-31-2014 at 3:42pm
where does one find a new dipstick?
clearly i'm not thinking with my dipstick

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: July-31-2014 at 3:54pm
Sorry to hear your dipstick doesn't fit tight in the hole.

I'm sure you can get that anywhere- n3, WL, SkiDIM... Go2marine, marine parts source, etc. Probably even eBay or amazon. Google will be your guide. You probably want to be sitting down when you see the price.

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: July-31-2014 at 5:27pm
I just got a walter vdrive dipstick for a mear 38 bucks

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: July-31-2014 at 8:01pm
holy smokes, I think i'm just going to stick a cork in it and safety wire the dipstick to the side so i can check the level.
I assume the rubber on the expandable bilge bung plugs would be able to stand up to oil since bilges are naturally filled with oil in most boats but may have to see if it holds up to heat.

even at $38 that is steep for such an item in my eyes.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: July-31-2014 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by DayTony DayTony wrote:

$38 that is steep for such an item in my eyes.

READ CLOSER. That's for a Walters!!!!!!!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Print Page | Close Window