Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32702
Printed Date: May-15-2024 at 11:01pm

Topic: Trailer Restoration Thread SN176
Posted By: Frankenotter
Subject: Trailer Restoration Thread SN176
Date Posted: January-20-2014 at 7:01pm
Well, it's winter and the weather sucks big time. I'll try to keep up with some photos and document another boring trailer thread.

Most people make tutorials........this one will probably end up being a list of mistakes. (you can learn what NOT to do)

Plans include;

1. Sandblast trailer

2. Paint trailer

3. New coupler and drum brakes

4. New LED lights all around.

5. New bunks and running boards.

6. New tires and spare tire mount.

7. New winch

Today was the start of the project that will probably stretch to the end of March.

Thanks to Steve, Ryan, and a big shot out to Allen (thanks for the use of the boat dollies) we got the boat off the trailer with the use of 2 engine hoists. It went pretty smooth.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Replies:
Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: January-20-2014 at 7:07pm
Plans in my future Chris.

Ok so when you get into the brake stuff I have a local supplier that has just about anything and it's cheaper than a good broom. Just need a few specs off the existing parts.

-------------

Date Posted: January-20-2014 at 7:12pm
Cool Zach I'll let you know for sure.

I called E-Trailer and gave them all the specs of the bearings, races, and brake drums and he was able to put a list of parts together for me.

Ill post links to the stuff I'm planning on using but if you have a better source I'm all ears.

Chris

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: January-21-2014 at 10:34am
Gotcha. I guess it would just come down to price at that point.

-------------

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: January-21-2014 at 1:06pm
Chris, what are those roller platforms that the boat is on now?

-------------
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: January-21-2014 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

and a big shot out to Allen (thanks for the use of the boat dollies)

Joel, those are Alan's dollies.

Chris, have you considered using disc brakes instead of drum??

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: January-21-2014 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Joel, I don't have a good place to store them in the garage so the longer they travel around holding up other peoples boats the better off I am. If you need them just hook up with Chris when he's done and they're yours for as long as you want.

-------------
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails

Posted By: JPASS
Date Posted: January-21-2014 at 1:22pm
Slightly off topic, but how do you embed video in a post?

-------------
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique

Date Posted: January-21-2014 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Joel, I don't have a good place to store them in the garage so the longer they travel around holding up other peoples boats the better off I am. If you need them just hook up with Chris when he's done and they're yours for as long as you want.

Nice. I know my trailer is going to need "Round Two" of restoration very soon. When I did it back in 09 I estimated it would be a 5 year fix, and boy does time fly.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Posted By: scootdogydog
Date Posted: January-21-2014 at 2:15pm
What kind of trailer are you starting with?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7183" rel="nofollow - 1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: January-21-2014 at 2:27pm
Looks like a Prestige... very similar to Ramlin.

Date Posted: January-21-2014 at 2:50pm
Will you be repainting it White or Red??

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: January-21-2014 at 2:57pm
Depends on how fast he wants it to look like *************** again.

Black, or red.

-------------

Posted By: gR@HaM
Date Posted: January-21-2014 at 3:32pm
I shall be following this with interest!   
Any chance of some close up pics of the dollies? Im going to need to make something similar but working on gravel not much point in having the wheels

-------------
'82 Ski Tique

Date Posted: January-21-2014 at 3:36pm
What about some Pneumatic casters for he gravel operation Graham?

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2014 at 3:46pm
Like your thinking Zach, ideally im after something low cost I can make myself but is something I'll look into

-------------
'82 Ski Tique

Date Posted: January-21-2014 at 3:49pm
You are pretty talented. Buy yourself a welder? I assume with proper research you could create a wood structure that would be strong enough.

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2014 at 4:00pm
Funnily enough I got myself one of these last weekend http://www.weldequip.com/clarke-160tm.htm" rel="nofollow - MIG

Anyway I stop the thread jack!!

-------------
'82 Ski Tique

Date Posted: January-21-2014 at 4:05pm
You're in business. I love my Hobart handler.

Thread jacking over!

-------------

Posted By: velde99
Date Posted: January-21-2014 at 4:12pm
Speaking of trailer restorations- what type of carpet did they use on the bunks and the side steps. Need color as well- for a 1990's era boat. Thanks

Posted By: GlassSeeker
Date Posted: January-21-2014 at 4:22pm
Mine's white...I touch it up every once in a while

-------------
This is the life

Posted By: baitkiller
Date Posted: January-21-2014 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by gR@HaM gR@HaM wrote:

Funnily enough I got myself one of these last weekend http://www.weldequip.com/clarke-160tm.htm" rel="nofollow - MIG

Anyway I stop the thread jack!!

Nice, how does it look in the dinning room?

-------------
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Date Posted: January-21-2014 at 5:41pm
[Deleted to bring it back to Chris' original thread..]

-------------
'82 Ski Tique

Date Posted: January-24-2014 at 7:59pm
Lmao I don't mind the thread jack. There's nothing to do in winter.

CQ I looked into disk brakes and they could be done easily. However, in the interest of saving money, my drums are still in great shape and that means one less thing to buy in the change.

The trailer is going to be repainted black and it is indeed a prestige.

Are there any super compelling reasons to switch to disks?

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: January-24-2014 at 8:05pm
Oh yes. You have to lock them out to go backwards.

-------------

Posted By: bhectus
Date Posted: January-24-2014 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Oh yes. You have to lock them out to go backwards.

Yeah and it is a royal PITA if your actuator fails. I have to get out and put a dowel pin in the actuator every time I want to put it in reverse.

-------------
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: January-24-2014 at 9:04pm
Are you saying that you DONT have to lock it out with disk brakes?

I know my coupler had a lockout now, but since the brakes don't work, I've never had to worry about them.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: January-25-2014 at 1:18am
Disc Brakes have to be locked out to back up. Drum brakes have a 1-way slip action so they will allow backing up even though the actuator is pushing them closed.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: January-25-2014 at 2:21am
Ok. I'm sticking with drum brakes. Especially after looking at disk brake prices.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: February-07-2014 at 11:05pm
I finally got some time to work on the trailer today. The goal was to strip all the parts off of it to get it ready for sandblasting.

I know I left the bar lights on. Those will have to wait until it gets above 10 degrees.

Someone here was just commenting on the Prestige Trailers choice to use self tapping screws to secure the bunks. I found out today, unfortunately, that it's true. I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with this dilemma yet.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: February-07-2014 at 11:10pm
Now for a question that I don't want to the know the answer to.

This trailer doesn't use leaf springs for suspension. It has these odd trailing linkages.

Last summer when I was driving the trailer with the boat on it, I noticed the suspension seemed to do very little (or nothing) in the way of absorbing bumps.

Is there a way to service these types of shocks?

Do they just run normally stiff?

Should I even worry about them?

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: February-08-2014 at 1:36am
My guess is its rusted in place. See if one if Quinners girlfriends can come sit on the frame and break it loose. Don't let her sit on the fender as those are hard to replace.

Just kidding, signing up to see the answer to the last question.

-------------

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: February-08-2014 at 9:39am
Chris,
I would use bolts through to the bottom of the rectangular tubing. I believe that's what many have done.

Your trailer has torsion bar suspension. The flex is from a rubber insert. I do not believe they are serviceable.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: February-08-2014 at 11:42am
That's what I did not want to hear Pete.

I'll have to take a closer look and some pictures when I get the wheel hub assembly off. Right now it's just too cold to mess with grease.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: February-08-2014 at 12:44pm
Chris, all of our new trailers are torsion suspension and when you jack the trailer up off the wheels they barley move. I would imagine they would appear not to absorb bumps much. Measure the position of the (knuckle?) not sure the exact term. Jack the trailer up and measure again. In relation to the trailer frame or a fixed piece of the trailer that is.

That'll tell you if it's moving. Sadly it looks like the only way to replace that is with a full axle and you will have to have it cut away from the frame and re welded properly. I did an axle for a fellow out east recently that was a drop center section to match the Ramlin style trailers so worse case scenario.....

-------------

Posted By: marlo14
Date Posted: February-08-2014 at 12:51pm
There is probably nothing wrong with your axle. The axles Prestige used were rated a 6000# if I remember correctly, which is close to double the capacity it needed to be. If you don't have "trailer" tires on it, that will contribute to a "rougher" riding trailer. The original tires should have been Goodyear Marathon? trailer tires if I recall.
As for disk breaks, they are the best. The locking out to back up issue can be resolved easily, but the cost is truly the only downfall, fairly significant one too!

Posted By: marlo14
Date Posted: February-08-2014 at 12:55pm
Sorry, disk brakes (sp)
This is my first post and after typing up a description three times as long for some reason it didn't post.

Date Posted: February-08-2014 at 1:51pm
Thanks Zach and Brandon!

I think you guys are correct. I just spent a couple of hours researching torsion bar suspensions online and there seem to be a few constants.

1. They don't fail very often.

2. When they do fail, they tend to sag quite a bit.

You can see from my pictures that this isn't the case. I guess it's just a rough riding trailer.

I would, however, like to get some of Quinner's Angels to bounce on the trailer for kicks.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Posted By: shawn123
Date Posted: February-09-2014 at 9:20am
Frankenotter, I feel your pain. Indiana this year has been well.....for the lack of better terms at this point. COLD. we have not seen the ground since late November and our average high has been 7 degrees for about the last month and a half. I drive truck and ran Milwaukee for 18 months you guys should be used to the cold. lol. I myself have wanted to get started on some things but the price of kerosene for the salamander is out weighing the thought of just waiting for warmer weather.

-------------
if it floats it's not sunk

Date Posted: February-10-2014 at 12:10pm
Yea, Salamanders are thirsty in an un insulated open barn like ours. :(.

-------------

Date Posted: February-10-2014 at 6:57pm
Torsion axle on my Ram-Lin rides like a dream, seriously. it has a decent amount of suspension travel, too, FWIW.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Posted By: SKIBUMM
Date Posted: February-11-2014 at 3:00pm
I refurbed my trailer about 5 years ago. I too had not had brakes in a long time and thought about going to disks. I ended up going with electric drum brakes. All I had to purchsed was new backing plates which were not too expensive and they work fantastic. I was worried about them holding up being submerged a lot but I have had 5 years of trouble free braking and no need for a lockout to back up my very steep driveway. I took off the drum last year to check thme and there is zero signs of corrosion.

Date Posted: February-11-2014 at 3:23pm
Did you just use regular old electric drums like I would use on my car trailer? The drum/backing plate assemblies are so freakin cheap compared to all the other crap that goes along with surge brakes.

Edit: not to mention solid couplers work 1000 times better as a general rule than surge brake couplers.

-------------

Date Posted: February-11-2014 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Did you just use regular old electric drums like I would use on my car trailer? The drum/backing plate assemblies are so freakin cheap compared to all the other crap that goes along with surge brakes.

I too used plan old electric brakes on one of my trailers. Yup, they are cheap and I too have had no problems. Even though the truck was pre wired for the brakes, setting it up was more work than putting the brakes on the trailer!
One nice thing about electrics up here in the north is if you get into a ice/jack knife situation, you hit the trailer brakes and they straighten you out. I've used the technique twice in say 20 years.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: February-25-2014 at 10:35am
Anyone have a preferred choice of marine carpet?

I need some to cover the new bunks that are 14 feet long.

I also need much wider stuff to cover the steps on the side of the trailer. I'd estimate two pieces 9x3 feet.

Suggestions?

Not so big on diamond plate btw.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: February-25-2014 at 11:06am
I have used the stuff from Menards on my lift bunks and rails, seems decent enough. Comes in a 12' roll, black in color.

Actually maybe it's an 8' roll??

Date Posted: February-25-2014 at 11:09am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

One nice thing about electrics up here in the north is if you get into a ice/jack knife situation, you hit the trailer brakes and they straighten you out.

Must have had a MIGHTY cold summer up there to be driving on ice when you pull your boat out on Labor Day weekend...

-------------

Date Posted: March-07-2014 at 1:36pm
Progress is being made on the 176 trailer. Over the last few weeks I was able to get it sandblasted, torn down, primed, and painted. This was a terrible job in the Wisconsin winter and I don't think I'll be doing it again. At least not without a proper spray booth.

The final choice ended up being PPG Omni Epoxy Primer and Seaguard 1000 topcoat. I know there will be objection to this (I got as many suggestions as there are paints in the world), but in the end, it was available and fit the criteria.

That being said, the sandblasting revealed a lot about this trailer.

1. It revealed the depth of the pitting.

2. I found a few spots along the bunks and steps that held moisture which accelerated the corrosion.

3. The sandblaster used medium that was far too coarse to be painted over.

There were a lot of left over imperfections including a textured look to the entire frame. With the application of the primer and paint, that texture is still present.

For anyone reading this thread looking for guidance on painting a trailer, I suggest making sure your sandblaser uses fine medium that will leave a smooth surface. If not, use a self leveling primer or sand the trailer until smooth before painting.

It was not a priority of mine to make the finish look like a car. My main idea in this project was to make the trailer road worthy and slow the corrosion in the process.

Time lapse of us hanging the trailer frame from the ceiling of the garage.

We used a propane torpedo heater in this insulated garage with a fan exhausting the fumes on the side.

I used a 3M respirator with 6001 filters and P95 pre-filters. I did not even smell the paint once until I took the mask off. It worked very well.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: March-07-2014 at 1:38pm

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: March-07-2014 at 1:44pm

Parts

Old drum brakes with cracked cylinders.

New brakes and bearings

I have started assembling the trailer again but I ran out of time to take pics. I'll post more of the results when I get back next week.

Next post should cover bunks, running the brake lines, and beginning the wiring of the lights.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: March-07-2014 at 2:35pm
looks good :)    glad you got it figured out.   

Date Posted: March-07-2014 at 3:22pm
Look at Chris go!!

-------------

Date Posted: June-04-2014 at 9:11pm
So, I totally forgot to end my trailer thread.

For anyone who is still interested, here is the conclusion.

Here are the new bunks being fitted. The originals were cut down to a bevel to it would closely match the angle of the hull. Steve K and I replicated them on a table saw. I drilled and tapped any holes that could not be salvaged from the original pattern.

I slowly (over several hours) used ratchet straps to bend the bunk rails. I would click them a few times, drill and tap the next hole, and then let it sit for a while as not to crack it.

I kidnapped this man (Skutsch) and chained him to the trailer. I told him he could see his family again when he was done wiring the trailer. It worked. Steve did an amazing job protecting everything from the moisture. I'll let him field any wiring questions.

The lights in action.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Posted By: Air206
Date Posted: June-04-2014 at 9:18pm
Beautiful! - LOVE me a good trailer restore thread!

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/y6t5e3bu" rel="nofollow - 04 Air206
http://tinyurl.com/9urzgls" rel="nofollow - 91 Barefoot
78 SkiTiq

Date Posted: June-04-2014 at 9:23pm

Got the rails covered with bunk carpet. *****Be careful, this stuff is slick. The boat doesn't stick to the trailer like it used to with the old stuff. Keep the winch attached at the launch until you matt it down a bit.

You can also see the new 3/4" marine ply was cut and awaiting carpet.

We got our hands on a gantry crane to make boat placement a snap.

After carpeting the steps and bolting the guide poles back on, the project was 98% complete. I still need some Nautique guide pads and a few decals (Marty?)

Total cost for the entire project including tools and materials - about $1,100. That's including two brand new Goodyear Marathon 225/75r15s.

It took about three months of working on it about 2 days per week. (with LOTS of help from others)

Hope this helps someone thinking about doing a trailer in the future.

Cheers!

Chris

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: June-04-2014 at 9:53pm
Chris,
What did Steve use to keep the wiring intact to the trailer frame? I'm curious since that'a always one weak point on trailer wiring. On two of my trailers I actually used pvc pipe to run the wiring in. I also hope he used some decent heat shrink type "sta-kons" for all of the connections and did NOT use any insulation displacing connectors.

You are absolutely correct about slippery bunks. They can be a problem at the ramp. In fact, we have a well know member (the best on the camera) that actually lost his boat on the ramp due to slippery bunks. If I remember correctly I think he sprayed them with silicone. Big damage!! Do a search and you will find Tim's thread. Sorry to bring this again Tim but all should know.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: June-04-2014 at 9:58pm
Steve will have to tell you the details, but I know he had some pretty hefty commercial grade wiring components. I didn't have the budget for wiring that would last forever, but if this stuff gave out in the next 10-15 years id be surprised.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Posted By: IAughtNaut
Date Posted: June-04-2014 at 10:05pm
looks awesome dude, nice work. you should really be proud of that effort

-------------
bring the ruckus
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5347" rel="nofollow - 2000 Pro Air

Date Posted: June-04-2014 at 10:40pm
Someone mentioned starting the bunks in the front that way you have leverage bending them in place. Just make sure you don't end up short! Lots of work that was I'm sure. Looking forward to seeing it all very soon!

-------------

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: June-04-2014 at 11:04pm
That gantry crane is just plain old cheating Chris.

I've used HW's suggestion a couple of times and started at the front and worked back, it does give you a lot of leverage. On lumber selection , trailer bunks is the only time I go to the lumber yard and look for sticks with the largest hook I can find, LOl. I usually the guy that empties half the lift of lumber before I find the straightest piece on the rack but for bunks it's just the opposite.

So job well done, looks great, should stop on a dime, ride nice and hopefully you'll have turn signals!    I got to hand it to Mr Skutch, he always seems to show up when there's work to be done.

-------------
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: June-04-2014 at 11:10pm
Nice work Chris,great choice on trailer and boat colors too

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: June-04-2014 at 11:21pm

I got to hand it to Mr Skutsch, he always seems to show up when there's work to be done.

x1,000 (not even sure that's high enough)

It is getting to the point where I need to stop telling him what I'm up to. He shows up early and stays late. How can anyone ever repay that?

Go Team Red [with black trailer]!

-------------

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: June-05-2014 at 12:20am
Chris - Did you buy a newer boat? This one doesn't look like the one you bought a year & half ago!

Great job on the restore. Now take the summer off & cut up some glass.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: June-05-2014 at 10:54am
Haha. Thanks guys. Between this completed project, and the fact that the boat pulled 3 guys for a day of barefooting, I'm feeling pretty accomplished.

It was only a year and a half ago that I picked this thing up in stable, yet neglected condition. I think (with the help of a lot of people, most of them here) I saved her from a shallow grave.

The addition of working brakes has been noticeable for sure. I think it's at least saving some brakes on my poor truck.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Posted By: skutsch
Date Posted: June-05-2014 at 2:37pm

Chris,
What did Steve use to keep the wiring intact to the trailer frame? I'm curious since that'a always one weak point on trailer wiring. On two of my trailers I actually used pvc pipe to run the wiring in. I also hope he used some decent heat shrink type "sta-kons" for all of the connections and did NOT use any insulation displacing connectors.

Pete - sorry completely missed this thread. "Keeping the wiring intact to the trailer" - I think that means how do we keep the wire on the trailer. We elected to fish the wire through the frame, so it is all internal. That was a PIA, but definitely the best option.

Yes, no insulation displacing connectors, not sure of the brand but used similar connectors and used LOTS of shrink wrap.

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: June-05-2014 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I got to hand it to Mr Skutsch, he always seems to show up when there's work to be done.

x1,000 (not even sure that's high enough)

It is getting to the point where I need to stop telling him what I'm up to. He shows up early and stays late. How can anyone ever repay that?

Go Team Red [with black trailer]!

I don't know what you guys are talking about, just paying it forward. Seriously I get way more out of this site then I put in, so if I can show up to flip a boat, or install a shower or help with some wiring, no big deal. Besides, at some point in the future the 63 will need new stringers and someone hopefully will volunteer to show me how to fiberglass.

Seriously HW, how many hours did you spend last fall dragging me through the water on my belly, I am pretty sure I am still in your debt. Hey anything I can do to help keep a correct craft on the water, you bet, I'll lend a hand!

BTW - I like my RED trailer!!!

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: June-05-2014 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Chris,

Pete - sorry completely missed this thread. "Keeping the wiring intact to the trailer" - I think that means how do we keep the wire on the trailer. We elected to fish the wire through the frame, so it is all internal. That was a PIA, but definitely the best option.

Yes, no insulation displacing connectors, not sure of the brand but used similar connectors and used LOTS of shrink wrap.

Steve,
The shrink tubing is great. I like the adhesive lined especially on a trailer.
Sounds like you did a great job. I only asked since I've spent way too much time on old trailer wiring! It's especially hard working on a snowmobile trailer in the dead of winter on the side of the road!! A restoration needs the very best and it will go for many years without problems. The other thing I do is run a ground wire to each light not relying totally on the steel trailer frame.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: June-06-2014 at 2:19pm
Pete - I hear ya on the snowmobile trailer, the WI winters combined with Salt and Sand really take a toll on the snowmobile wiring, I have a steel trailer that I was doing the wiring every 5 years. About 8 years ago, I decided to do it right, using all the stuff above. Haven't had a problem since. I also prefer to run ground wires really seems to work better with the LED lights too (albeit not original, to Chris's trailer, appropriate for a mid-90's trailer overhaul).

-------------
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Posted By: 96Nautique176
Date Posted: July-18-2014 at 8:31pm
Did you make the dolly's or can you buy them somewhere?

Date Posted: July-19-2014 at 1:06pm
I borrowed them from another CCF member. Allen (81nautique) can tell you where to get them.

If they're not available, do a http://www.google.com/advanced_search" rel="nofollow - Google advanced search and type Correctcraftfan.com as the domain.

There are a lot of ways to take your boat off the trailer and even more contraptions to hold it while you do trailer work.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Print Page | Close Window