Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30168
Printed Date: April-28-2024 at 5:26am

Topic: Brand new 1995 Nautique hull
Posted By: upsman
Subject: Brand new 1995 Nautique hull
Date Posted: June-08-2013 at 10:32pm
Hi, I am new to this forum and thought I would get some suggestions on what to do with this 1995 Nautique hull. I bought it from a retired Nautique dealer. This hull has never seen sun or rain and is in mint condition. It looks like a brand new boat without a motor and trans. Complete interior, cover everything perfect. The dealer was able to buy this boat as a display boat with the intention of finishing someday. That day never happened and now I have the project. I do have a 1990 nautique that I could use as a donor boat. I was able to post some pictures.
Thanks everyone

Derek

Replies:
Posted By: Florida Inboards
Date Posted: June-08-2013 at 10:41pm
I am sure their is a lot of interest in the project, What do you want to do? Throw a number up their! Trailer? If it is for sale you might want to post it in one of the classified sections of this web site.
Cheers! Welcome aboard!

-------------
Money Talks! BS Walks! and loose change rides the bus!!!

Posted By: HatterBee
Date Posted: June-08-2013 at 11:28pm
Pictures as well.

-------------
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25004&title=1977-ski-nautique-rebuild" rel="nofollow - My Rebuild Thread

Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 12:05am
I have pictures, but having trouble posting them. Hope to post soon.

Derek

Posted By: Bones71
Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 12:44am
Derek, what problems are you having posting pics. I got pretty good at it. Let me know and I'll help. Tony.

Posted By: IAughtNaut
Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 12:50am
Derek, welcome to the site.

Number one- http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23667&title=need-help-posting-pictures-here-it-is" rel="nofollow - How to post pics

Number two- where in Ohio?

-------------
bring the ruckus
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5347" rel="nofollow - 2000 Pro Air

Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 11:15am

Posted By: peter1234
Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 11:39am
somebody wake me

-------------
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Posted By: dwcar
Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 11:46am
Wow!That is amazing!!

-------------
83Ski

Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 12:07pm
What are you wanting to do with it?

Work on it and get engine and transmission for it/keep it?

Sell it?

I might be interested if you want to sell it???

-------------
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25004&title=1977-ski-nautique-rebuild" rel="nofollow - My Rebuild Thread

Posted By: OverMyHead
Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 12:18pm
Cool find. almost a shame to use it, but a bigger shame not to. Put an engine in that looks as new as the boat, and go have some fun!

-------------
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 12:22pm
I would really like to find a donor boat around the same year with a good motor and trans that has been wrecked or sat outside and forgotten about.

Derek

Posted By: jo-e90
Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 12:46pm
Old http://www.planetnautique.com/vb3/showthread.php?12486-Used-PCM-GT40-Multiport-EFI-310HP-for-Sale" rel="nofollow - thread , but does not say he sold it.

Or there is always http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1014" rel="nofollow - NEW

-------------
1997 Sport Nautique

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 12:47pm
Looks like it needs more than a motor and tranny. Do you have the wiring harness, steering cable, fuel lines, battery cables, teleflex cables?
Is the gas tank in it?
I think the best thing to do is...
Sell it to me so I can put a stroker in it

After looking at the pics again I noticed the cover looks idenical to the cover on my '95. Then I noticed the trailer pad's with Ron's on them and the light bulb went on.
That's the same as the original cover that's on mine with a Ron's Nautiques patch sewn on the back. I'm guessing that's where my boat was purchased.
PS: Best made cover I've seen yet.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 1:16pm
Wow! Yes, that is a great find. An engine should be pretty easy to find. Just don't put an Indmar in it!

One of our members Steve has a brand new Crusader for sale. It's however a different vintage.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 1:21pm
Gonna be a sweat project thats for sure.

I like the idea of a stroker!

-------------
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

Posted By: baitkiller
Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 1:28pm
Put a tower on it and Chevy, should run great!

-------------
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Posted By: Oletela
Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 2:34pm
Put a diesel in it!

Posted By: ArtCozier
Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 2:56pm
This sounds a bit unusual to me. Is there a Hull ID number on it? Did you get a title / bill of sale / paperwork with it?

I couldn't tell for sure in the photo of the bilge whether or not the aluminum engine bed is there. I don't see the tabs that the mounts sit on. A '95 would have been set up for a Ford engine.....

Art

-------------
"Art"

Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 3:25pm
Art,

This boat was sold as a display boat with no hull number or title to Ron's Marine. Larry Madlock at Nautique was the person that ran this down the assembly line minus motor, motor cradle, fuel tank, cables and some other small parts as well. It is fully wired, water tested, complete interior and exterior.

Derek

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 3:28pm
Do it right and make it a Zero Off boat right from the start. Putting a new Excalibur in there with ZO will make it essentially a BRAND NEW Zero Off equipped boat for a fraction of the price of a newer model. Even if you just flipped it immediately you'd make money if you ZO it right off the bat! Lots of people out there are looking for affordable ZO tractors right now.

-------------
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Posted By: GlassSeeker
Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Do it right and make it a Zero Off boat right from the start. Putting a new Excalibur in there with ZO will make it essentially a BRAND NEW Zero Off equipped boat for a fraction of the price of a newer model. Even if you just flipped it immediately you'd make money if you ZO it right off the bat! Lots of people out there are looking for affordable ZO tractors right now.

x2

go brand new with zero off.

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 8:24pm
Any way you look at it, it's not gonna be cheap to get it all new then it's still only worth what an immaculate '95 is worth.

Posted By: 65 'cuda
Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 8:37pm
Sell it to someone in a registration only state, that will probably be a real PITA to get a title for here in Ohio.

-------------
Gary

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=941" rel="nofollow - 1965 Barracuda SS

Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by 65 'cuda 65 'cuda wrote:

Sell it to someone in a registration only state, that will probably be a real PITA to get a title for here in Ohio.

I would think the paperwork that did come with the boat plus the bill of sale in any state would be sufficient. ??

No hull #?? look on the starboard side upper transom. I must be there.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: lewy2001
Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 10:52pm
A new bobtail PCM 343Ex is $8930 in the US. (Same engine is almost $14000 in Australia)

When you combine that with the rest of parts required you would probably have more in it than it is worth.

Maybe go the other way look for a complete bobtail pull out that somebody has exchanged for a zero off unit. I do remember Jody having a couple for sale at one stage.

-------------
If you're going through hell, keep going

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Posted By: Florida Inboards
Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by upsman upsman wrote:

I would really like to find a donor boat around the same year with a good motor and trans that has been wrecked or sat outside and forgotten about.

Derek

HINT!!! Screw the donor boat idea!!!! Step up, install a brand new EX330 PCM/Transmission. or maybe sell it to someone that would do just that!!
Amazing find!!

-------------
Money Talks! BS Walks! and loose change rides the bus!!!

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: June-09-2013 at 11:34pm
Ron's Nautiques..Manuta Ohio. Great guy & great dealer..until he went Mastercraft.

He did have a source for the best covers I have ever seen. I believe he had an Amish gentleman that made them.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Posted By: john b
Date Posted: June-10-2013 at 1:08am
FWIW I don't believe that boat can ever be properly registered according to USCG certification regulations, and I didn't even get into the state regulations. The Hull Identification Number (HIN) is issued by the manufacturer and the boat comes with a Manufacturers Certificate of Origin (MCO). With these documents and individual compliance stickers for component parts ( fuel system, electrical system, flotation, capacity, ect) the manufacturer certifies that the boat complies with all regulations in effect on the date of manufacture.

Is there any way to certify that this boat complies with all regulations? Is Correct Craft (now Nautique) willing to issue a HIN and MCO certifying it complied on whatever date it was made? Is there any way to know that the boat, intended for a display, has all of the structural components necessary to comply with the USCG regulations? Does it have flotation? Did they bother to put stringers in it? Or is it just a fiberglass shell? Was it built using less fiberglass and reinforcement to save money and weight?

Clue phone is ringing, answer it! It was made without a HIN for a reason!

IMHO I believe this boat is suitable only for putting atop a marina signpost for advertising as was intended after removing the interior and anything else of value. Go out and find a really nice one used, you don't want the problems associated owning and with trying to register this boat.
Sorry to rain on someone's parade.

-------------
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: June-10-2013 at 1:28am
Not sure about Ohio but in Iowa but we can register boats as homemade. County official has to come out, make sure the boat doesn't have any of the above (HIN, MCO) and you're good to go. Any documentation would help explain the process. We're going through this process with our 55' Chris Craft Continental which came with no paperwork. Make friends with the folks in the right offices and you'll find a solution. Theres a way to get this done, just have to exhaust all options....well worth it since you've got a beautiful boat waiting to be used!

No one as asked the #1 question.....How do you plan to use the boat? If you're a 3-event guy then explore the excel/Zero Off option. If not, find a power plant and go skiing.

-------------

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: June-10-2013 at 1:30am
Sad thing about the Munson sign boat is that it USED to be a really pretty mid-90's CB Malibu Response. Classic Malibu striping and logo. Then they made it into a ridiculous looking wake boat!

-------------
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: June-10-2013 at 1:35am
Only problem Chris is if you go to sell it,it'a a homemade 1995. Your Chris Craft being so old it might not make a difference. He needs to find a boat like KRoundy did,one a tree fell on,and switch everything.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: June-10-2013 at 2:19pm
Do you really want to fill out the paperwork stating under penalty of perjury the boat is home made when you drag it in for an inspection?

-------------

Date Posted: June-10-2013 at 2:30pm
private water does not need any registration or anything.

I'll take the boat.

-------------
This is the life

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: June-10-2013 at 3:18pm
Think about that John, if he puts a SBC in there - did he make that?? If he builds it out of wood does he need to grow & cut the trees down??
Most home made boats would probably have some pre-mfr'd components, in this case it would just happen to be most of the boat, lol.

Your previous post/point is an interesting one however, I would imagine you should be able to determine if it's seaworthy. If in fact it was built using thinner material, etc., just put a ski challenger sticker on it and have at it.

Posted By: nates78ski
Date Posted: June-10-2013 at 4:15pm
Our lake is private. I'd gladly take it off your hands!

-------------
Nathan
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1463&sort=&pagenum=3&yrstart=1978&yrend=1978" rel="nofollow - My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll

Posted By: Smithfamily
Date Posted: June-10-2013 at 4:30pm
Wow! She is a beauty. I had the same color scheme on my 95. It had a GT-40 Ford. Will have to look for pictures for you.
Good luck with it, this looks to be an exciting and interesting post, keep us informed? More pictures of the bilge?

-------------
Js

Posted By: 62 wood
Date Posted: June-10-2013 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Wow! Yes, that is a great find. An engine should be pretty easy to find. Just don't put an Indmar in it!

One of our members Steve has a brand new Crusader for sale. It's however a different vintage.

That hull is amazing!!!!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1117&sort=&pagenum=6" rel="nofollow - 64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Posted By: ny_nautique
Date Posted: June-10-2013 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Smithfamily Smithfamily wrote:

Wow! She is a beauty. I had the same color scheme on my 95. It had a GT-40 Ford. Will have to look for pictures for you.
Good luck with it, this looks to be an exciting and interesting post, keep us informed? More pictures of the bilge?

Derek that is very cool. I too would like to see more pics of the bilge.

For the exhaust system, do they just have the through-hull tip?

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: June-10-2013 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by ny_nautique ny_nautique wrote:

Derek that is very cool. I too would like to see more pics of the bilge.

For the exhaust system, do they just have the through-hull tip?

What do you want to see in the bilge? It's empty.
If your looking for something specific I have some pics of my '95 bilge.
The exhaust thru hull must be in as you can see it in the picture showing the rear of the boat.

Date Posted: June-10-2013 at 6:06pm
Just wondering what else is in this boat... what else he'll have to buy and install, such as is there a mount for the steering cable and/or is it pre-drilled?

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Posted By: kytom2
Date Posted: June-10-2013 at 6:15pm
Why would treat this boat any differrnt than a "kit" car? Have the state or county inspect it. Then have them assign a "VIN" number along with permanently attaching it to the boat.

-------------

Date Posted: June-10-2013 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Only problem Chris is if you go to sell it,it'a a homemade 1995. Your Chris Craft being so old it might not make a difference. He needs to find a boat like KRoundy did,one a tree fell on,and switch everything.

Agreed, but like CQ said that's essentially what he's doing...maybe a bit of a stretch but it could be argued. With our '55 we simply don't have another option unless I find another one with all proper paperwork and badges (not likely but we're still looking).

The Avocado Queen came rotten but running with no papers so it'll be registered under another Skier's info. The gals at the Recorder's office agree it's going to rebuilt anyway so it's strictly a formality.

There's always a way to make it happen, just have to get creative. Too nice of a boat not to find a way to figure it out!

-------------

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: June-10-2013 at 8:12pm
Might never get the whole story but I have no reason to believe its nothing other than an incomplete boat. Ask Godfather and Jody they were both there in 95.

-------------

Posted By: Frankenotter
Date Posted: June-10-2013 at 11:34pm
OMG. It's like a dream come true. I don't care what it takes I want to see this on the water. This is my dream boat......literally.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: June-10-2013 at 11:36pm
Thanks for everyone's input, It's giving me allot to think about. I took some more pictures of the bilge area. Let me know your thoughts

Derek   

Posted By: KRoundy
Date Posted: June-10-2013 at 11:43pm
Wow, wow, wow.... That is really cool.

-------------
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: June-10-2013 at 11:43pm
This will be a very nice boat when finished. Maybe you can find a donor boat.    Good luck on the registration process.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: June-10-2013 at 11:44pm
More pictures.

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: June-10-2013 at 11:44pm
I would give my left one for a boat that had never seen water. Wow congrats.

As a side note I have a less than 300 hour ex343 at the shop and some old stock possibly good 1.23 to 1 transmissions floating around. Starting point?

-------------

Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 12:34am
I would love to see it on the water too, I just see the potential for a lot of problems. If you are willing to deal with them and are successful it will make a great boat with a very interesting history. Good luck and I truly hope it works out. CQ may have the most logical solution that I hadn't thought about, a kit boat may just be the ticket. As far as i can tell the certifications are not necessary for a home built kit boat and with your photos and documentation it is a good case to argue that it is a kit boat. Pretty sharp Chris!

-------------

Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 12:45am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

As a side note I have a less than 300 hour ex343 at the shop and some old stock possibly good 1.23 to 1 transmissions floating around. Starting point?

Sounds like a perfect fit!

Again, the biggest question....how are you going to use the boat?

-------------

Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 1:02am
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/boa/3859264576.html" rel="nofollow - Here's an engine in Atlanta.

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 2:03am

Let me know your thoughts.

I've been thinking about this a bit and will share some thoughts. I went out and looked at my 1993 (I was referenced early in this thread a the guy who found a boat that had a tree fall on it).

1) You will need a donor boat. Your 1990 might do the trick but even at that you'll likely be scrounging around for quite a few things.

2) I don't know what you paid for what is there but, with a new hull, a new engine and transmission sure would be fun. All new!

2.5) If you don't want to spend that much - that is OK: It is your boat! You could drop the engine and transmission from your 1990 in there and the boat will scoot down the lake.

3) What you have there is a real snapshot in time. That hull is already 18 years old. Please take a lot of photos of the details. I love the image of the interior light layout for instance.

4) There are so many little specialized pieces and parts that make up a ski boat. Others have mentioned things that seem to be missing:
- The straps that hold in the gas tank
- The metal brackets that go under the gas tank
- The engine frame
- All the stuff that mounts to the engine frame like the bilge blower, fuel filter, dog box prop rod, etc. The fuel filter and blower have their own special brackets too.
- All the cables
- The part that the steering cable mounts to
- All the plumbing for the water inlet
- The shaft packing (better check inside the rudder port too)

Buying these new will be a lot of money, for the stuff you can find.

5) Do you know somebody locally who has a 1995 boat who would let you look at it over and over to figure out how things are supposed to look?

Too bad you don't live close to Washington. I have some of the stuff from the list above from my tree-boat. But I have questions - I don't know if a 1993 engine frame would fit in a 1995 hull or not.

KRoundy

-------------

Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 10:51am
Kevin,

I will give you a call. All those little pieces and brackets may be hard to find. The gentleman I bought the boat from said that he has the engine cradle.

Thanks Derek

Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 11:41am
Get that engine cradle!
I think one of the hardest parts to find will be the gas tank. You really do need to find a wrecked donor boat. Post on the various forums what you are looking for and hopefully someone will have something.

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Posted By: backfoot100
Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 11:45am
How could anyone desicrate that hull and swim platform with cover snaps? I don't care if he is a nice guy. He should be shot.

-------------
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 11:51am
That's a great boat and a lot less of a project than a lot of people have taken on. The story about it being a "display boat" seems odd. If you like the boat, I'd spend the money to complete it.

Posted By: harddock
Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 12:06pm
consider going electric. You might even get a grant to do it!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4487" rel="nofollow - 1998 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

How could anyone desicrate that hull and swim platform with cover snaps? I don't care if he is a nice guy. He should be shot.

I have the same cover made and installed by the same place and I have to tell you it's one of the best/functional cover's I've seen. The snaps are out of the way in the underside of the rub rail not in the glass. The few snaps that are in the swim deck is minimal compared to the protection from the sun and elements it provides.
I have only had to put one light coat of teak oil on my swim deck since I've owned it (7 yrs) due to the protection the cover provides and the material is still like brand new, no fading, no separated seems, nothing, not bad for a 1995 cover.
I have been trying to find out if the company that made it is still in business so I could have one made for my '85 I feel it’s that good.

Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 12:51pm
Sure - drop me a line any time. Kevin dot Roundhill at gmail dot com is a very easy way to start the ball rolling. Shipping will be a bear, but maybe if I can find one big box it would not be too bad.

I have a spare fuel tank. And those straps. and I MIGHT even have those missing brackets. I don't recall exactly what I saved and what is missing. I know that I have the elbow you need for the ventilation system that is missing too (the hole on the starboard side just aft of the engine bay).

Kevin

-------------

Posted By: 65 'cuda
Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 12:58pm
Ohio might give that a HIN, it does have the Manufactures'/NMMA, coast guard placard. If you get a friendly ODNR inspector, they very well might do it. It will probably be titled as an unknown year Correct Craft. Also, the state of Ohio does not really have "private lakes" the water is owned by the state, and the boats need registrations, I'm not saying this is enforced.

-------------
Gary

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=941" rel="nofollow - 1965 Barracuda SS

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

I have a spare fuel tank. And those straps. and I MIGHT even have those missing brackets.

Careful, '93 and '95 are different in the stern area and will most likely not share the same fuel tanks. CC added a gentle curve to the shape in 1994.

-------------

Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 2:11pm
The name on the cover is Canvas Cover UP. I will Try to get you a phone number.

Derek

Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

I have a spare fuel tank. And those straps. and I MIGHT even have those missing brackets.

Careful, '93 and '95 are different in the stern area and will most likely not share the same fuel tanks. CC added a gentle curve to the shape in 1994.

Yeah, I'm worried about what will not translate between 1993 and 1995. I noticed that curve too. My boat does not have those vent lines that are hanging down in the back either, so there are differences.

Somebody with a 1995 boat - open up the back and start taking some pictures for us! What does the tank look like? How is it held down?

-------------

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 6:58pm
I got those pictures somewhere...my 95 is in plenty of pieces

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Date Posted: June-11-2013 at 7:30pm
I can show him anything he need's from my '95

Date Posted: June-16-2013 at 12:09am
Making some progress. First I was able to get a HIN number for the hull. Second got a engine cradle. Kroundy has a fuel cell out of his 1993. Made by Kracor Inc. Model 6-7032. Does anyone know if that is the same tank that is in a 1995. Thanks for everyones help.

Derek

Date Posted: June-16-2013 at 12:19am
Gun-driver,

I talked to Ron today and asked him about that cover you have and he said that they are out of business. Sorry about the bad news. I would think somebody should be able to duplicate that cover. There is a awning shop near me that I think could make it. Culp Meyer Awning 4545 Shepler Church Rd. Canton, Ohio 44706. If you need the phone I can get that for you.

Derek

Date Posted: June-16-2013 at 12:36am

Gun-driver,

I talked to Ron today and asked him about that cover you have and he said that they are out of business. Sorry about the bad news. I would think somebody should be able to duplicate that cover. There is a awning shop near me that I think could make it. Culp Meyer Awning 4545 Shepler Church Rd. Canton, Ohio 44706. If you need the phone I can get that for you.
Derek

I appreciate it but not necessary, it was just a thought. I tried goggling them and came up with some numbers for a company with the same name in Ohio but it wasn't them.
As for the tank, what motor are you going to put in it. If you’re planning on a GT-40 EFI I believe the tank may be different. I can get better pics if you need them, I had these on file.
http://s256.photobucket.com/user/gun-driver/media/95%20Nautique%20pictures/95repair006.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

You can see the aluminum rack and the well of the tank in this pic.

http://s256.photobucket.com/user/gun-driver/media/95%20Nautique%20pictures/95repair005.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: June-16-2013 at 1:03am
Looks like the tank in the 1995 is curved much more than in a 1993. I will try to find a model number on the tank of a 1995.

Derek

Date Posted: June-16-2013 at 12:19pm
That is quite a bit different. Guess I'll go put my tank back under the house.

Derek - I think everything else we talked about will work. That standoff bracket for the steering cable looks exactly the same. It appears from those pictures that the straps I have for my tank would still work. Sorry that I can't help you more!

Kevin

-------------

Posted By: cooperlacy
Date Posted: June-16-2013 at 6:48pm
Here is the info from the sticker on the tank in my 1995 SN EFI. It is exactly like the picture posted earlier (including the recessed well for the fuel pick-up).

Manufacturer: INCA Molded Products, Inc. (6400 Louisiana Ave. Nashville, TN 37209. 615-350-7290)
Model No.: F02653
Serial No.: 208051
Date Mfg.: 09/21/1994
Capacity: 26 gal. (98 liters)
Material: Crosslink Poly
Wall: 0.200

Hope this helps. If you need any more pictures of the tank out of the boat I have a few that I can send you.

Cooper

Date Posted: June-17-2013 at 4:06pm
That's good news that you got a HIN for the boat, Derek. I love this project.

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: June-17-2013 at 4:25pm
I am very pleased to have been wrong about the difficulty involved in getting a HIN. Great project!!!

-------------

Date Posted: June-17-2013 at 10:59pm
Sounds as though you got your registration problems ironed out, but just in case, today I spoke with Larry Meddock, who was VP of Marketing when this boat was sent to Ron's. Although he doesn't remember anything about that specific boat, he does recall that about that time CC was encouraging dealers to use a boat as an outdoor display or sign. Many of them were partial boats, such as the starboard side half of a boat, which would have been mounted on a wall. Those were built without much structural strength so that they would be light. It is rather unusual for one to have been built the same as a production boat, and we most certainly would not have participated in any arrangement to make the boat ready to become a "real" boat.

I now recall that the 1995 was what I call a "slant back" boat, that is to say that the deck part of the transom slopes down to the hull. On those boats, the hull number is under the boarding platform, just below the deck joint on the starboard side. It might even be hidden by the platform. Have you checked there for an HIN?
Art

-------------
"Art"

Date Posted: June-17-2013 at 11:18pm
Could Cooper weight the boat to see if it has the normal hull structure?

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: June-18-2013 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Could Cooper weight the boat to see if it has the normal hull structure?

I think you can get a fairly good idea about strength by simply pounding on it with your fist and see if it feels and sounds like other boats. We weigh all the hulls as they come out of the molds, but at that point it doesn't include the deck or other interior items that will be in the boat in question.
Art

-------------
"Art"

Posted By: Smithfamily
Date Posted: June-18-2013 at 9:33pm
I was hoping Art had some more accurate info on this. Any Shipping records? It does not look like a sign prop. Very interesting!!

-------------
Js

Date Posted: June-18-2013 at 11:14pm
Without a hull ID number, there is no way to trace it. It would be totally un-CC-like to build a boat allegedly for a sign knowing that it eventually would be made into a running boat. There is something mysterious about this whole situation.

Has anyone checked under the platform for an HID?

Art

-------------
"Art"

Posted By: Swatkinz
Date Posted: June-18-2013 at 11:25pm
When I was in high school, I worked for an industrial/commercial lawn mower dealer. Occasionally, we'd have a new mower that would become a donor mower for new parts to replace badly needed items that weren't in stock.

It always started out with the intention that the parts robbed off of the donor mower would be replaced asap and the mower would be sold alongside the other newer, never molested mowers. Sometimes that happend, sometimes not.   It would seem even more unlikely with a much higher priced item such as this, but it makes you wonder.

It seems weird that this boat would be so complete for any type of advertisement. Alot can happen in 18 years. Perhaps the dealer forgot or confused the details of the acquisition of this boat?

Seriously, it's too complete and would be too expensive and too nice to use as outdoor signage. You also, wouldn't want it incomplete for use as an indoor advertisement or boat show sales piece? And, if it was ordered as such a piece by a dealer from CC, why wasn't it used that way? I'm guessing there'd be considerable liability for CC to make a boat so close to completion, yet not complete and signed off on as being finished.

Very mysterious, but very interesting. I'd be interested to know too if that HIN is hidden down there under the teak platform

-------------
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)

Posted By: cooperlacy
Date Posted: June-18-2013 at 11:38pm
Sorry, but I can't weigh my boat. It lives on the lift and I don't even have a trailer for it. According to the 1995 brochure in the reference section the 95 SN closed bow was 2340 lbs. dry, but that is with an engine, transmission, and all the other gear.

Cooper

Date Posted: June-19-2013 at 12:18am
Sorry Cooper, I meant the OP in my post.

-------------

Ben Franklin

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: June-19-2013 at 1:48am
It looks too complete to be a sign boat. Wouldn't be surprised if it already had a HIN.

-------------

Date Posted: June-19-2013 at 4:38am

Making some progress. First I was able to get a HIN number for the hull. Second got a engine cradle. Kroundy has a fuel cell out of his 1993. Made by Kracor Inc. Model 6-7032. Does anyone know if that is the same tank that is in a 1995. Thanks for everyones help.

Derek

So how did you get the HIN? or would you have to kill us if you told us?

Was it already on the hull?

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: June-19-2013 at 6:41am
Art,
Even if the hull was made for a purpose other than a complete boat, wouldn't it still have a HIN molded into the transom?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: June-19-2013 at 10:06am
try calling Chris or James at this number, they both worked at Ron's during that time frame and may have some info on the boat, they own a mastercraft dealership now but got their start at Rons,330-325-822

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: June-19-2013 at 11:30am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Art,
Even if the hull was made for a purpose other than a complete boat, wouldn't it still have a HIN molded into the transom?

Pete, I can't quote the exact USCG wording on that, but I do know that in part it says "Bare hull manufacturers are not boat manufacturers and therefore are not permitted to affix an HIN."

What is not clear to me is whether a manufacturer who builds finished boats and makes an occasional bare hull is obligated to affix an HIN. I guess the reasoning is that by affixing the HIN we are certifying that the (complete) "boat" meets all safety and certificaton requirements. Someone could buy a bare hull and put a big jet engine in it and go have an accident, and we would be liable if our HIN was on the boat. That's one of the reasons we retain engine model and serial numbers installed at the factory.

That boat should have the "hidden" HIN molded on deck under the dash pod if there is one. Occasionally I hear that there is still another one buried somewhere in the structure, but apparently that is proprietary information.

So far I haven't heard a firm answer on whether anyone has checked under the platform.

Art

-------------
"Art"

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: June-19-2013 at 11:35am
Didnt all this come up before? Who has a better memory than me, or better searching skills? Matt and Reid at Race City ended up with a boat that had been a "sign" no interior, no engine, etc. Acquired a no hour GT40- an interior etc and got it back to a functioning boat. I maybe wrong but I thought it was also a 95 ish nautique.. if so then that would indicate a pattern, a program or something of the like?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Posted By: turningpoint84
Date Posted: June-19-2013 at 11:50am
Originally posted by 65 'cuda 65 'cuda wrote:

Ohio might give that a HIN, it does have the Manufactures'/NMMA, coast guard placard. If you get a friendly ODNR inspector, they very well might do it. It will probably be titled as an unknown year Correct Craft. Also, the state of Ohio does not really have "private lakes" the water is owned by the state, and the boats need registrations, I'm not saying this is enforced.

Yeah only private lake i ever saw, was out Ohio U team's water ski lake, was cool seeing all the boats without registration #'s on them.

-------------
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6454&sort=&pagenum1" rel="nofollow - 1970 Mustang

Date Posted: June-19-2013 at 11:53am
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

I was going to say this, but figured i'd be ridiculed, this is exactly what I'd do if i had this boat.

There's a company that makes the engine's(motor's and battery) located in Canada, I think you could also go through Correct Craft and get one as they are a supplier according to the website.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6454&sort=&pagenum1" rel="nofollow - 1970 Mustang

Date Posted: June-19-2013 at 12:02pm
It is not uncommon to have no registration numbers on the Great Lakes. My friends Formula is a USCG documented vessel and therefore requires no state registration and has no numbers or identifying information other than the HIN on the transom and a tag somewhere near the engines in the engine bay.

-------------

Date Posted: June-19-2013 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

I was going to say this, but figured i'd be ridiculed, this is exactly what I'd do if i had this boat.

There's a company that makes the engine's(motor's and battery) located in Canada, I think you could also go through Correct Craft and get one as they are a supplier according to the website.

Bust out the big boy wallet if you want an electric SN!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2UbTAbLadB0" rel="nofollow - Electric Ski Nautique

-------------

Date Posted: June-19-2013 at 12:13pm
In order to qualify for documentation, a vessel must be five or more net tons. That is not a weight, but rather a measure of volume of the vessel. Generally, and boat less than 25 feet in length won't qualify.
Art

-------------
"Art"

Posted By: harddock
Date Posted: June-19-2013 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2UbTAbLadB0" rel="nofollow - Electric Ski Nautique [/QUOTE]

That' is why you apply for and get a grant!!!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4487" rel="nofollow - 1998 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: June-19-2013 at 11:36pm
Art,

I looked under the platform, under the dash and could not find any HIN numbers. The boat is very solid like any other boat and seems built like any other Nautique of this time period. When I was looking under the dash I noticed none of the gauges are wired up. I will have finish that in time. The question is what are my options with this boat?

Derek

Date Posted: June-20-2013 at 12:02am
http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/boa/3879576437.html" rel="nofollow - Here's perhaps an exhaust for it.

Since the post may be gone soon, here's the text:
Quote Modified original equiptment Centek industries fiberglass muffler off of a 96 Nautique. Gives the boat a deeper louder sound like the pre 89 dual exhaust Nautiques. No other mods required to run this muffler. call Tony 833-1532

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: June-20-2013 at 1:24am
In most cases confidential VINs or HINs are hidden in an area that requires the removal of a component of the vehicle. Are may have meant under the pod, not under the dash. An inspector from the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) would probably be happy to do an inspection. If the paperwork looks hunky when you apply for insurance you may get a free inspection anyway. They know all of the locations of the con VINs. I no longer have access.

-------------

Date Posted: June-20-2013 at 1:49am
Derek,

Odd that the gauges are not wired up. There's quite a bit of work in front of you on that front. What a fascinating find.

Sent you an email on the few parts I've found from my '93.

-------------

Date Posted: June-20-2013 at 11:15am
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2UbTAbLadB0" rel="nofollow - Electric Ski Nautique

I'd love to see a cost analysis on going electric vs your typical gas power plant.

I figure oil changes, winterizing, gasoline, engine maintenance adds up.

The fact that this boat literally has nothing, i feel the upfront cost could be made up overtime. You don't need exhaust, through hull pick ups, a gas tank, possibly no transmission either. It really really would be an interesting comparison.

We both know we're paying $5 a gallon at greers this summer.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window