Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: General Correct Craft Discussion
Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28858
Printed Date: March-28-2024 at 8:11am

Topic: Stars & Stripes Ski Nautique ???
Posted By: GrayBeardSkier
Subject: Stars & Stripes Ski Nautique ???
Date Posted: January-29-2013 at 7:20pm
Has anyone seen a Ski Nautique (other than mine) with Stars & Stripes Ski Nautique on the side? I'm trying to validate a story I've been told about the boat and am hoping someone with a knowledge of Ski Nautique history can help.

-------------
Joel Heinke

Replies:
Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: January-29-2013 at 7:34pm
Oh my goodness I almost had a heart attack. I thought I was going to see a Stars and Stripes Nautique that looked like a Mastercraft!

And no I've never seen another.

-------------

Posted By: bhectus
Date Posted: January-29-2013 at 7:48pm
Beautiful boat Joel! If anyone could verify the boat left the factory like that, it would be Art Cozier. He comes on here sometimes, hopefully he sees this thread and can look at it for you.

-------------
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: January-29-2013 at 7:48pm
Welcome to the site! That is a beautiful boat and trailer. Look up Art Cozier in the membership section and send him an email. If anyone knows, he will. That trailer is a Correct Craft trailer, not home made.

Posted By: MartyMabe
Date Posted: January-29-2013 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

That trailer is a Correct Craft trailer, not home made.

The way I read it- He maybe got it built by someone that maybe built it as close to CC Specs as possible. Wouldn't an OE Trailer be short at the transom? When did CC start getting the trailers built to the same length as the boats?

-------------
66 Skylark
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5041" rel="nofollow - 93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: January-29-2013 at 8:03pm
Bow stop, guide poles, frame rails (extended), and something about the crossmembers around the fenders... all different from a real CC trailer. The shape is close enough that the original may have been modified though... tough to be sure.

The Lowboys (#2 and #3 flavors) had frame rails that extended all the way to the transom (and had prop guards added) but this doesnt appear to be one, at least to my eye. I dont think Ive seen one that preceded the square fender style ('77, I believe). The delux trailers from the mid 80's forward incorporated those details as well.

On the boat, I see enough details to make me wonder if the boat is original... graphics are the correct shape, but the wrong size (smaller than the "normal" graphics but larger than the "small" graphics that came on some '75's). The flames around the scoops are a little weird, Im skeptical that those are original. The observers seat appears to be the factory heat stamped pattern, and I cant remember seeing another interior like it in white before. The red top motorbox and dash are unique... are those painted? Gel?

The platform isnt original ('78 was the first year it was offered) so the fact that it appears to be period correct, bracket angles and all, makes me wonder if most of the modifications were done by a discerning previous owner when the boat wasnt all that old.

I wonder what Art will say.

-------------

Date Posted: January-29-2013 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

That trailer is a Correct Craft trailer, not home made.

The way I read it- He maybe got it built by someone that maybe built it as close to CC Specs as possible. Wouldn't an OE Trailer be short at the transom? When did CC start getting the trailers built to the same length as the boats?

That makes sense. And at a closer look, like Tim says some of the equipment doesn't look right.

Date Posted: January-29-2013 at 8:17pm
Reading between the lines, the trailer likely came to the current owner with a "Home Made" registration or title. Thats pretty common on older trailers, even true Correct Craft ones. CC was putting the VIN numbers on an easily faded/removed/painted over sticker in the mid-late 70's, so a lot of trailers ended up re-stamped by the state. A closer look at the frame and crossmembers would be the best way to determine if its a modified original or a from-scratch home made job.

-------------

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: January-29-2013 at 10:51pm
I sure hope Art picks up this thread and can comment. At this point, I feel there are just too many differences to make it a factory boat.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Air206
Date Posted: January-29-2013 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I sure hope Art picks up this thread and can comment. At this point, I feel there are just too many differences to make it a factory boat.

+1

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/y6t5e3bu" rel="nofollow - 04 Air206
http://tinyurl.com/9urzgls" rel="nofollow - 91 Barefoot
78 SkiTiq

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: January-29-2013 at 11:42pm
I think it would be best to write him in care of the factory.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: 62 wood
Date Posted: January-29-2013 at 11:50pm
Joel,
Post some pics of it here in the forums. We can see a bit more detail than the small diary pics.

What do you know of her history? How long you owned it?

Definately has some weird stuff going on.... nice looking!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1117&sort=&pagenum=6" rel="nofollow - 64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Posted By: Tim D
Date Posted: January-29-2013 at 11:54pm
Is it paint or decal? That would answer the question of originality. I don't think anybody had a vinyl cutter in '75.

-------------
Tim D

Date Posted: January-29-2013 at 11:54pm
You guys are good at picking up small details. :-)

The red covering on dash and engine cover is red carpet. Same carpet as on floor but with vinyl trim sewn on the edges. The red covering on front air scoop and rear air exhausts is a red vinyl like was used for vinyl car roofs in the '70s.

So I can confirm that the swim platform is not a factory piece and was added by first owner. It's still the same teak wood as first added back in the '70s but the brackets were changed a few years ago. The brackets were a hard black plastic with dolphins molded into them. The plastic cracked after about 30 years and I replaced them with period correct aluminum brackets.

I'll have to re-check on the trailer paperwork to see if there's any additional clues on it's origin. It was definitely welded together with a stick welder and looks homemade.

-------------
Joel Heinke

Date Posted: January-30-2013 at 12:18am
Just post some more pics of the trailer frame, especially of the crossmembers in the axle and fender area. We'll be able to tell if its a cc or not... I don't think they were known for their quality welding work back then so that's not much of a clue

Who put the carpet on the Motorbox and dash?

-------------

Date Posted: January-30-2013 at 2:32am
A question was asked the stars and stripes lettering was vinyl or painted. The answer is both. Here's a larger picture of the lettering:

The base of the letters appears to be vinyl and is colored gold. That gold gives the letters a shadow. The red, white, blue, and stars are painted on top of the gold.

I only have first hand knowledge of the boat history going back about 15 years. I am the boat's caretaker and not the actual owner that's had the boat since it was just a little over a year old. I'll have to reach out to Jerry and double check the story. My recollection is that he told me the stars and stripes came from the factory.

As to the trailer. Here's a picture that shows more detail:

The CA title designates it as "SPCNS" and ID starts with "CAL...". This tells me CA DMV titled it as if it were homemade and issued the ID number. Like others have said, it still maybe a factory trailer but this and the construction technique is why I have always thought it was homemade. I replaced the trailer axle about 5 years ago to get standard trailer hubs and bearings. The old axle had odd ball bearings, poor seals and I couldn't fit up the spring loaded grease caps. So bearings kept getting water in them when the boat was launched.

I'm not sure what the trailer origin has to do with the stars and stripes question but I'm guessing it's like a puzzle where fitting up the pieces makes things come together.

-------------
Joel Heinke

Date Posted: January-30-2013 at 2:50am
Something in the script of the SkiNautique doesnt look right. The letters look kinda "fat" and scrunched together. The "S" is pretty much touching the "k". I dont think they are that way in the other 73 -75's. The lettering is pretty pristine for being almost 40 years old.

Also the blue stripe is faded and lighter than the blue in the lettering. I'm guessing that the "Ski Nautique" has been replaced somewhere along the line.

Would be interested in seeing what Art says?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1117&sort=&pagenum=6" rel="nofollow - 64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: January-30-2013 at 12:14pm
Steve, note the size difference. Its smaller than the "normal" lettering:

...and larger than the "small" lettering that CC used on a handful of '75's:

I agree that the presence of vinyl in the graphics, as well as the different shades of blue, probably means this wasnt a factory job.

Upon closure inspection of the above boat, the Lowboy may have been around prior to '77 after all. The drop axle on this "S&S" boat would most likely make it that style, if original... assuming the axle/spring setup was replaced with like parts.

The shape of that front crossmember doesnt look right to me though- the vee is too sharp. At this point Im leaning towards it not being a CC trailer. It could very well be a Mastercraft trailer from the mid 70's though- they were very similar, but not the same. Maybe Donald or Pete could snap a pic of theirs to confirm.

-------------

Date Posted: January-30-2013 at 12:31pm
It'll be interesting to see what Art says if he picks up on the thread. There was a lot of Bi Centenial editions of about everything back in 75 and 76. Even beer. Anyone remember Falstaff Bi Centenial Salutes?

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: January-30-2013 at 12:36pm

There was a lot of Bi Centenial editions of about everything back in 75 and 76. Even beer.

You CCFans and your love of Beer and Boats...not necessarily in that order.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Posted By: kytom2
Date Posted: January-30-2013 at 12:51pm
That order is correct, Tim.

-------------

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: January-30-2013 at 1:29pm
The only thing "original" I can see on the boat is the faded red vinyl on the air vents.

The 50th Anniversary is only an assumption made by '75 owners.

The true or real Anniversary wasn't until 1981, aka 20th Anniversary.

The Airguides and the Motor Box Hinges are newer than 1975.

Don't get me wrong, it is a cool ski boat.

I too have witnessed a documented bogus story in a 3-ring binder.   After careful examination, it was concluded the story was invented by the third owner.

I would contact the Santa Clara County Ski Club for old photos.

Posted By: Mojo
Date Posted: January-30-2013 at 1:47pm
Did someone say BEER???

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Posted By: turningpoint84
Date Posted: January-30-2013 at 1:51pm
The logo looks more like a logo from 1977+.

In 1975 the letters were more straight, look at the N, there's no ripple effect, that starts to happen in 1977.

-------------
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6454&sort=&pagenum1" rel="nofollow - 1970 Mustang

Date Posted: January-30-2013 at 2:07pm
This boat is cool, but it's not original.. Well unless it came from the Cypress Gardens custom chop shop..

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: January-30-2013 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

The logo looks more like a logo from 1977+.

In 1975 the letters were more straight, look at the N, there's no ripple effect, that starts to happen in 1977.

Huh? You better go back and look at the brochures. I dont believe the graphics changed shape from '73-79 (except for dropping the dash in '74).

-------------

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: January-30-2013 at 2:12pm
Cool Boat for sure!!

Would question the use of flames as a Correct Craft design cue or offering on anything thru the mid 2000's model years.

It would not surprise me if CC did some other 1 (or 2) off stuff like this.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: January-30-2013 at 2:16pm
The letters were the same or relatively close from '73 thru '79 with the exception of the half scale version.

Date Posted: January-30-2013 at 2:29pm
My '74 has a dash.

Date Posted: January-30-2013 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

My '74 has a dash.

Between the Ski and Nautique like in the '73 brochure?

-------------

Date Posted: January-30-2013 at 2:58pm
That's a Hyphen.    I think they dropped the hyphen right after they took that photo.
I've never seen a Hyphenated '73

Posted By: turningpoint84
Date Posted: January-30-2013 at 2:58pm
The 1973 looks wavy again, but i swear the 1975 N looks straighter.

-------------
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6454&sort=&pagenum1" rel="nofollow - 1970 Mustang

Date Posted: January-30-2013 at 3:05pm

That's a Hyphen.    I think they dropped the hyphen right after they took that photo.
I've never seen a Hyphenated '73

Sorry, the hyphen looked like a dash to me.

Theres one http://correctcraftfan.com/forsale/details.asp?ID=6075" rel="nofollow - hyphenated '73 in the diaries.

TP, I think youre losing it!

-------------

Date Posted: January-30-2013 at 3:36pm
Sorry Tim, To Pete, my dash looks like a helm.

Date Posted: January-30-2013 at 3:47pm
Never noticed, the speedo's do look black .. We need dash pics please!

.....errrrr, Helm pics please..

-------------

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Posted By: GlassSeeker
Date Posted: January-30-2013 at 3:57pm
and more pics of the engine...white accents

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: January-30-2013 at 7:17pm
I was able to connect with Jerry (boat owner since 1981) and get some answers. Firstly, I had the timeline wrong. The first owner as Art Rodriguez who owner the boat for 6 years before selling it to Jerry Malone. Jerry says the last he heard was that Art was still skiing competitively and he's over 75 years old!

On the stars and stripes lettering, it was NOT added post delivery from Correct Craft. The flames on air vents were also there on original delivery of the boat. Jerry confirms the story that this boat was 1 of 2 that received this special lettering. The stripes going lengthwise on boat did get painted over as they were faded. The log entry in owners manual says this painting was done in '78. The stripes visually support this as they look like they have a base layer that has a coat of paint on top of it. They look a bit faded now but a coat of wax shines them up.

On the trailer, Jerry says it's home built and that Art built it. There's a striking similarity to the pictures posted above so I'm guessing the design was copied from a factory trailer. I can say it's perfectly balanced as I can easily move the boat around the garage and yard by myself. It tows and launches great which is why I'm guessing the design/construction was copied.

Here's a picture of the helm/dash:

All the gauges work great. The speedos work great as well. The white stickers (below speedos, either side of tach) contain tables of slalom speeds at various rope lengths. I'm guessing these were added when the boat was used as a tournament tow boat in the Santa Clara Ski Club days. Jerry said the carpet on dash and engine cover were original treatments as well. I don't have a picture handy but there's what looks like a cotton towel with a slalom skier on it that hangs across the boat in front of drivers foot area (so under the dash). It acts as a curtain covering the opening into the bow.

I don't have any close-up pictures of the engine. I'll need to take those. The entire engine is painted white.

Well there's some updates. I'll post more information when I get it. I'm going to try to contact Art and see if he has pictures from when the boat was new.

-------------
Joel Heinke

Date Posted: January-30-2013 at 8:17pm
OK, well...in my best Huell Howser imitation: That's Amazing!

really it is, can't wait to find out more

-------------
This is the life

Posted By: Tim D
Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 1:03am
Here, you can compare the graphics. The S drops too much, the N is too thick, the q has a point on top and is too long, the dots are round etc. The cross member parts on the trailers were bent, not cut and welded.

-------------
Tim D

Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 3:18am
Well I was able to make some great progress tonight in getting more firsthand information and even some photo evidence to support the story. Wonder of all wonders, Art (original 1st owner) still has the same phone number as Jerry had written down in his address book many, many years ago. It turns out Art is a great guy and agreed to take a phone call with me tonight. He was even able to quickly locate some photos, was kind enough to snap some pictures of them, and email them to me.

Art confirmed:
1.     Stars and stripes Ski Nautique lettering is exactly how the boat was delivered from the factory
2.     Painted flames around air vents are from factory
3.     Interior treatments (carpet on dash and engine cover) are from factory
4.     Trailer is home built and he (along with a friend) built it. He did say the design was copied from a factory trailer, thus the resemblance. I asked him if he could have purchased a trailer with the boat and he said yes, but he elected to build one himself.
5.     The boat was used as a tournament tow boat for Santa Clara Ski Club while he owned it

So the only aftermarket alteration on the boat is the replacement of the ladder with a swim platform.   The photos do prove the boat originally came with a ladder.

So here’s the photos of Art's photo album.

Trailer with primer paint on it.

Trailer being finished by Art.

Boat being launched in Sept 1975.

Art piloting the boat.

The amazing thing is that the boat and trailer look exactly the same today (except for swim deck).   

The best I can tell is that the Correct Craft factory did in fact build a boat with unique features and these features weren’t exact variations (i.e. letters are similar font but different size) of standard factory boat features. If the story is correct, the factory built two boats with these unique features and there was another one out there on the east coast at one point in time.

So I’ll raise the question from the start of this thread again. Has anyone seen a boat with these features somewhere else besides N. Calif? The story about this boat has now been confirmed by its original owner and pictures support the story. Sightings of a boat sharing these features located somewhere in the Eastern US would confirm the whole story.

-------------
Joel Heinke

Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 4:23am
Looks like he is launching it at the ponds by Coyote Creek which is where the ski club was located.

Wow, looks like it did come from the factory that way. This is a really cool story and a really cool boat.

-------------
This is the life

Posted By: OverMyHead
Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 4:45am
That documentation of the history is priceless. Very cool boat.

-------------
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Posted By: fanofccfan
Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 7:36am
That is an awesome story and a cool boat. It may also confirm Correct Craft did do few unusual things to give the customer what it wanted.    My old Marauder has a few items that were not standard (floor and side carpet). Maybe some of the quirks were for real. Great history on your boat and thanks for sharing it.

Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 10:19am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Also the blue stripe is faded and lighter than the blue in the lettering. I'm guessing that the "Ski Nautique" has been replaced somewhere along the line.

Anyone got any salt?    

Those photos are soooo cool!

Sure makes the question of my 73 coming from the factory with the red metallic steering wheel more believable.

Great story!!!!!!!

-------------

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 2:52pm
The old photo does show white-faced Airguides and the original barrel-bucket type drivers seat.
I'm still on-the-fence about the factory origin of the side lettering.
Could have been easily done by or for the ski club when the boat was new.

If the other Art (Art Cozier) confirms, then I guess I'll be having a nice hot dish of crow along with some of Steve's salt.

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 2:57pm
30 years from now skeptics will be saying 2009 Nautiques were not delivered with white boot stripes or a racing stripe or with Mr. Ralphs name gelled into the transom or CorrectCraftFan embroidered in the vinyl.

-------------

Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 3:26pm
The factory build pictures should be decent proof, Larry.

Im with Al on this one... the more I see and hear, the more skeptical I become. Add the windshield color change to the list as well.

We've been wrong before though!

-------------

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The observers seat appears to be the factory heat stamped pattern, and I cant remember seeing another interior like it in white before.

A little late and low on the order of importance, but we have a boat club member with an original white, heat stamped interior.

Tim, you've seen the boat before but I lost the pics with my old phone. '79 - Dark blue hull white deck. I'll snap some pics of the interior in the spring

-------------

Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 3:42pm
Well, with a testimonial from the original owner should be enough. If he said "I ordered it that way" or such, how can you not believe him. If he's saying the boat came from the factory that way, well maybe he got it as a "demo" and it had already seen some water time before the factory got it back..

I still am not completely convinced either. Most companies who have created a company logo or trademark don't normally go off and change it for obvious reasons. They go to great lengths protecting these copyrights as well. And in the history of CC, have you ever seen another graphics using "flames",,,, ever? It doesn't at all go with the stars and stripes theme.... Only 2 boats ever in 1975 got a flame job? This just seems way to off the grid for them.. But then again that Body Glove edition in the mid 90's was far from the norm..

Let the build sheet search begin...

Moj'

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 4:19pm
And the Tach change.
4 additional step pads shows that the ski club did do some mods, why not add some carpet.

IF it is true, I would be curious if there is any meaning to the 18 stars.

Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 4:25pm

IF it is true, I would be curious if there is any meaning to the 18 stars.

The shipment of white Rustoleum #3 didn't come in till the next Tuesday !!

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 4:31pm
2 of my boats have been examples of 1 off or custom build jobs. The 80' Ski Nautique had an interior I have never seen in another 80', the original owner (whom we purchased from) claimed he special ordered it with a "Martinique Interior". The Paragon was a true 1 off, Ken Meloon gave me the history of that boat personally, being he specified all the extra's that were done to that exact boat and no other Paragon, including the Wineberry Color, all the chrome and motor bling, the gold accenting, etc. We were the original owners so can say with certainty it came from CC that way however never realized how custom it was until my conversation with Ken many years later.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Posted By: martin 74
Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 4:52pm
Shouldn't be too hard to believe, Correct Craft just built a one of a kind boat for CCF a few years ago.

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by martin 74 martin 74 wrote:

Shouldn't be too hard to believe, Correct Craft just built a one of a kind boat for CCF a few years ago.

-------------

Posted By: dip
Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 5:00pm
This is a great story. The boat reminds me of my old stars and stripes Schwinn Sting Ray. The idea of a 1 (or 2) off seems consistent with what I've read CC was willing to do to sell a boat. Whether it came from the factory that way or not it is still very cool to see the 1975 photos and current photos, especially the obvious pride on the owner's face.
I pick up the changes to the windshield frame and drivers seat but the airguides look black to me in that old photo.

Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 5:05pm
To me, it would be more believable IF they had used the exact same stensil as all the other small letter boats and included the circle (R)

This is however making me wonder more about the Gold Metal-Flake '75.

Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 5:10pm

This is however making me wonder more about the Gold Metal-Flake '75.

Al, kinda funny, this thread got me thinking about that boat also... I went back and looked. It is still listed in the diaries for sale
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forsale/details.asp?ID=5686&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 74 metallic

D ick Samoila,,sam57, went and looked at this boat.. said it was definitely showing her age. Still interesting tho...

-------------

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Posted By: vondy
Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Here, you can compare the graphics. The S drops too much, the N is too thick, the q has a point on top and is too long, the dots are round etc. The cross member parts on the trailers were bent, not cut and welded.

From a graphic designers point-of-view, this is exactly what I would have done, used a bolder font with closer spacing so that the flag image inside would look more connected. The logo below is too thin and spread out. Being these were the days before it was all designed on computers and plotted out, and it was a 2-off, close enough would have been fine. The registration mark is probably missing because it isn't an official, registered logo.

From the amount of inconsistency with CC spoken about on this site, it's not hard to believe they would have been lax on some of their branding.

Then again.... Now I could open up the logo on the computer, bold it up a bit and change the spacing. Back then they would probably had to do it all by hand. Which kind of makes it hard to believe they would have gone through that much trouble.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4645&sort=&pagenum=1 - 69 Mustang HM

Posted By: bhectus
Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 6:30pm
Check my diaries posting from clicking on my avatar pic if you want another example of a "one-off". How many boats in '97 had docking lights? Woody told me that it originally had a Roush Racing GT40 in it, but 2 owners before me blew the motor up in it and it got replaced with the standard GT40 that is in it now. My '87 BFN is technically a special order as well and I do have documentary proof of it. I don't discount the OP's story one bit. It makes it even more believable that the factory would do special request orders back then when build quantities were lower.

-------------
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 6:56pm
You guy's are drinking too much of that beer again Correct Craft NEVER does anything just once.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Posted By: The Godfather
Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 7:07pm

So what is the answer !!

Do we make different one off boats or not...

Just go back and look at the Orange Crush...

-------------
Jbear, said to me wow if it was'nt for this site we would never had met for this to happen....

Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 7:11pm

Now I'll take the 5th..

-------------
Jbear, said to me wow if it was'nt for this site we would never had met for this to happen....

Posted By: IAughtNaut
Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 7:31pm
best thread so far this year...and for the record, I believe the guy. pics or it didn't happen? well...

-------------
bring the ruckus
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5347" rel="nofollow - 2000 Pro Air

Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by The Godfather The Godfather wrote:

Great story, glad Art could help with the history on this boat..

Dave, just in case it wasnt clear, the Art referenced earlier was the previous owner, not Art Cozier.
Originally posted by GrayBeardSkier GrayBeardSkier wrote:

Art (original 1st owner) still has the same phone number as Jerry had written down in his address book many, many years ago. It turns out Art is a great guy and agreed to take a phone call with me tonight. He was even able to quickly locate some photos, was kind enough to snap some pictures of them, and email them to me.

-------------

Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 8:12pm

Thanks Tim, my bad

-------------

Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Im with Al on this one... the more I see and hear, the more skeptical I become. Add the windshield color change to the list as well.

We've been wrong before though!

Me too!! I wonder if Western Correct Craft did the mods?? To me, it would be more logical than the factory. All the regional's did the set ups anyway!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 8:55pm
You guys are a tough crowd. So, if one of the warehouses did it, wouldn't it be original from Correct Craft? Weren't some of Orange Crush's final touch's put on at Adirondack Marine?

Posted By: delovett
Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 9:14pm
Cool looking boat.

Quite nice of the original owner to provide that information!

-------------
1973 Nautique 351

Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 9:40pm
Depends what the definition of "is" is Bruce My thoughts were the same as Pete's too. The more I see these including that beater one that Workman has,with the wrong tach, the more I like them.The red,white and blue just seem right. I like the story behind them too.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 9:45pm
Where is the other boat? the one that went East?

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 9:47pm
Gary, I like them too, although I prefer the standard issue like Steve's "beater". This is an interesting story, though.

My brothers and I had a 1976 Riviera Cruiser Stars and Stripe Bicentenial Model with red, white and blue pom poms. No pictures, so I guess it never happened which is alright by me.

Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 9:51pm

You guys are a tough crowd. So, if one of the warehouses did it, wouldn't it be original from Correct Craft? Weren't some of Orange Crush's final touch's put on at Adirondack Marine?

Bruce,
Dealers have always had the option of finishing off new boats from the factory. If they didn't opt to do it, then the regional's did it before they were shut down. Even some gel blemishes and shipping damage was handled after the factory.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 9:58pm
       Can I get the hull number, so I can look for the build sheet :).       

-------------

Posted By: peter1234
Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 10:00pm
so if they make changes at the regional level or at the dealer before delivery is that considered original cc?    

-------------
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 10:07pm

Way to go Dave. Here is what he has on the diary page

CTC05224M75G-SNK

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 10:17pm
Thanks Gary, let me do some leg work now ..

-------------

Posted By: fanofccfan
Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 10:30pm
The wait is like sitting...........On pins and needles...............

Posted By: AAM196
Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 10:53pm
Cool boat. I will say the ski nautique logo on the picture from 1975 is different than the current pic. Look at bottom of S compared to current. The 1975 pic look like right font. Also the blue on current pic is different.. so it looks like stripe is original and logo is new..   

Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 11:10pm
This thread is as confusing as fathers day on the south side of chicago

-------------

Posted By: IAughtNaut
Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 11:14pm

that may be the smartest thing anyone has said on this topic yet

Where were you 3 pages ago Dave? haha

-------------
bring the ruckus
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5347" rel="nofollow - 2000 Pro Air

Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 11:46pm

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 11:50pm
Lots of people watching this thread. Hope you got enough popcorn for all of us.

-------------

Date Posted: January-31-2013 at 11:57pm
It's BYOP ...and Fallstaff Bicentennial Beer

-------------
This is the life

Posted By: cphase
Date Posted: February-01-2013 at 12:03am
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

...and Fallstaff Bicentennial Beer

Will Billy Beer do?

-------------
Thanks,

Jeff
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6549" rel="nofollow - 82 SN
http://www.archlinux.org" rel="nofollow - Arch Linux

Date Posted: February-01-2013 at 12:08am
Billy Carter hadn't thought of that name in years!

-------------

Posted By: cphase
Date Posted: February-01-2013 at 12:14am
Best beer money could buy!! Can't imagine why they stopped making it!

-------------
Thanks,

Jeff
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6549" rel="nofollow - 82 SN
http://www.archlinux.org" rel="nofollow - Arch Linux

Date Posted: February-01-2013 at 12:25am
Wow!!! This journey has been fun. Totally unexpected, but FUN

You guys can really pick out the small details. I saw the comment about windshield color being different between the 1975 picture and present. That triggered a memory that there was some mention of windshield in the handwritten maintenance log.

I pulled the log and there in the 11-1-78 entry it says, "Died windshield frame". So I can confirm the copper color on windshield was an owner change. It appears to me from inspection that frame color change was done by having the aluminum anodized. It was done well as I would have never guessed it had been done by looking at it.

So there's two confirmed changes from factory delivered: 1) swim platform, and 2) windshield frame color.

I also saw comment about speedos in 1975 picture didn't look black. When I look at the 1975 picture they certainly don't look white to me. It looks like Art's hand resting on top of steering wheel is covering them. It's not definitive what color they are but I do believe Art and Jerry when they say the speedos and other instruments are factory original.

Well, I do appreciate all the enthusiasm and banter you all are contributing. I too am anxiously waiting to see what the build records contain.

-------------
Joel Heinke

Posted By: AAM196
Date Posted: February-01-2013 at 1:12am
Joel,

Looks like the logo was repainted... and possibly the black shadowing was added. Did Art mention any of this?

Date Posted: February-01-2013 at 1:19am
my boat doesn't have a log

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: February-01-2013 at 1:21am
Check the log for "Installed flames"

-------------
This is the life

Posted By: KRoundy
Date Posted: February-01-2013 at 1:21am
This thread is a blast.

-------------
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow

Date Posted: February-01-2013 at 8:59am
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

This thread is a blast.

It's because most of the Fans are Cold soaked from the Old Man Winter!

-------------

Posted By: dwouncmd
Date Posted: February-01-2013 at 10:13am
Fun stuff. I am pulling for the boat being original (except the platform and windshield as stated). Even better if the lost 2nd boat is found.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6535&sort=&pagenum=2" rel="nofollow - 89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7

Date Posted: February-01-2013 at 10:39am

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

The more I see these including that beater one that Workman has,with the wrong tach, the more I like them.The red,white and blue just seem right.

Gary, PLEASE send me my tach!! I have not seen it for 9 months and really miss it!

Gary, I like them too, although I prefer the standard issue like Steve's "beater".

Bruce, if I got rid of Timmy B's favorite red metallic steering wheel, could I take the 73 out of the beater catagory?

-------------

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Posted By: OverMyHead
Date Posted: February-01-2013 at 10:39am
If not original, we may need a new definition such as "historically" correct. For me it has more interest and value with the stars,stripes,and early documentation of the story than it would with out. I am sure those in the ski club that rode in and behind would say the same. I felt the same way about the red boat that had snoopy on its side for most its life.

-------------
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Posted By: peter1234
Date Posted: February-01-2013 at 11:17am
that red steering wheel is awesome .

-------------
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Date Posted: February-01-2013 at 11:31am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

that red steering wheel is awesome .

With all the red accents, I like it too, The original owner claims it was on the boat when he bought it new in 73.

man, I'm glad that tower is gone!

-------------

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: February-01-2013 at 12:34pm

Well here is what I tracked down:

Only found the invoice for this boat...

The boat was built 3/8/75
    motor was 255 Escort: SB SY70302-825-H

With white hull & deck

Boat went to West Coast Correct Craft

Wish I had more to offer

Dave

-------------

Date Posted: February-01-2013 at 1:03pm
Hey Dave,   What about CTCO 5223 M75G SN or
CTCO 5225 M75G SN ?

Date Posted: February-01-2013 at 2:04pm

They both just have invoices..

deck colors and motor size

not much info

-------------

Print Page | Close Window